• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Other Olympics Thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They certainly could have too. Thought they actually were the best team of the night

I didn't see any of the routines, so I can't comment. However, I don't think there's any denying that reputation along with past performances does factor into any judged event. Just like in boxing, when you're going up against the world champ, you need to be significantly better in order to claim the title. If you're simply on par with them, it's usually not enough.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see any of the routines, so I can't comment. However, I don't think there's any denying that reputation along with past performances does factor into any judged event. Just like in boxing, when you're going up against the world champ, you need to be significantly better in order to claim the title. If you're simply on par with them, it's usually not enough.

which is no different in hockey. if you walk like a biter and talk like a biter... youre usually a Burrows

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only if your not narrow minded I suppose

Oh, I'm very open-minded. But since you're clearly not getting my message and continually being negative towards the Americans in this thread (on a board where just about all of us like and appreciate both countries), my only option left is mockery.

Just chill out on the anti-American sentiments, buddy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they really seem to sell it better than anyone else

I don't know ice dancing, but I do know ballroom, and the Russians just didn't seem to be truly dancing to me. The distinctions are lost on me, but it seemed like the judging went in line largely with how I felt about the routines as dances.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know ice dancing, but I do know ballroom, and the Russians just didn't seem to be truly dancing to me. The distinctions are lost on me, but it seemed like the judging went in line largely with how I felt about the routines as dances.

I'm no expert either, but in brief... it's dancing, but on ice.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize we had ice and ballroom dancing aficionados on this board - No wonder this is the best board on the Hoop (in my very biased opinion).

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of which, this is heart-warming story...

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just find it funny that people get themselves in such a tizzy for something that in a couple of weeks they will care very little about until four years from now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize we had ice and ballroom dancing aficionados on this board - No wonder this is the best board on the Hoop (in my very biased opinion).

I took a class in college to fill up a semester, really enjoyed it, and kept doing it. I haven't done it much lately, though, unfortunately. I've become orders of magnitude more self-conscious in recent years.