• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Olympic hockey thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finland #2. Interesting?

They're one of my teams to watch, but I wouldn't have seeded them that high. But like Pix said, it's based on international play which doesn't really involve the full Olympic rosters.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're one of my teams to watch, but I wouldn't have seeded them that high. But like Pix said, it's based on international play which doesn't really involve the full Olympic rosters.

Don't get me wrong I think the Fins have a lot of talent. I just think #2 is a bit high.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I just looked at the pre-Olympic seeding.

Canada was 5th, and Slovakia was ranked ahead of USA.

What are those based on?

IIHF tournaments.
Ranking is based on the last 4 IIHF World Championships, and the last Olympics.
Since Canada sends to send Ryan Smyth to the World Championships, it is a pretty flawed ranking system.
Also, since points in most recent tournaments are weighted higher (the value declines by 25% for each year removed from the tournament) last year's IIHF World Championship that no one gives a shit about is worth four times as many points as the 2010 Olympic gold)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
from the tweets:

Slovenia has 148 registered adult male hockey players.
so about 20% of them are Olympic athletes.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
watching the US-Rus game.

gee, another knee-on-knee hit by Brown.
the piece of shit adds to his resume.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I have something lengthy to say and some people aren't going to like it so here we go:

I am furious at Slava Voynov for his comments about Jonathan Quick - he comes off as a fucking sore loser - instead of calling out a guy like that he should have called out his own teammate for taking two stupid penalties that resulted in PP goals for the US - it pisses me off because being teammates, now those who don't know it definitely know what Jonathan Quick does and if it costs the Kings a game because of a reputation that got added on because of his dumb comments, I'm going to rage - Slava Voynov since getting that big contract hasn't done shit and the last thing he needs to do is call out Jonathan Quick for that - and don't give me the excuse that he's got a lot of pressure to win for Russia and it is a heat of the moment comment - there's no excuse whatsoever for it - a real player wouldn't have blamed it on something like that, they would have said "We didn't play well, enough said" - it pisses me off the way he handled it and he knows what he was saying - Jonathan Quick has bailed him out so many times and now Slava Voynov throws him under the bus? I'm so fucking mad at him - end of story

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voynov is definitely being a sore loser. Seriously no way Quick did that intentionally. The rule is what he should be mad about.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Voynov is definitely being a sore loser. Seriously no way Quick did that intentionally. The rule is what he should be mad about.

Quick does that a lot, especially on the PK. And it's ALWAYS by 'accident'.
He has a reputation for it among his opponents.
Voynov just put it out there that his teammates know he does it as well.

hopefully the comments get noticed, and Quick gets called for it going forward.
(which is why Cobie is right to be upset - and the rest of Voynov's King teammates should be as well)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching some replays...

Every time I watch Olympic hockey I think 'it's a shame the NHL doesn't play on a rink this size because there would be less chippy bs and you see some passing patterns and plays in Olympic hockey that are much more creative and interesting than you see in NHL hockey.'

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(which is why Cobie is right to be upset - and the rest of Voynov's King teammates should be as well)

Can't say I watch the guy enough to see this...but in the context of the play it'd make limited sense. He was going post to post, he's not the only guy who uses the post to push off from.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you listen to Al Michaels and Emerick on NBC, the USA already has the gold medal locked up....shucks, guess we have to settle for playing for bronze then :rollseyes:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watching the US-Rus game.

gee, another knee-on-knee hit by Brown.
the piece of shit adds to his resume.

He also had a pretty stellar sack of potatoes moment as well. Dustin's gonna Dustin.

^^ :thumb:

That's gonna affect that King locker room. But you almost gotta respect Slava for having the balls to speak up. Almost. Same deal as Quick on the goal. He says something when it benefits him. Shuts up otherwise.

Can't say I watch the guy enough to see this...but in the context of the play it'd make limited sense. He was going post to post, he's not the only guy who uses the post to push off from.

Bobrovsky's legs are long enough that he can touch both posts and keep his five hole covered, and he uses this when the play is behind the net. Post to post covered and shifts weight depending on where the play comes out and uses the far side post to leverage himself up. I've never seen him bump a post off. Patrick Roy used to launch off posts too. A lot of guys do it.

Watching some replays...

Every time I watch Olympic hockey I think 'it's a shame the NHL doesn't play on a rink this size because there would be less chippy bs and you see some passing patterns and plays in Olympic hockey that are much more creative and interesting than you see in NHL hockey.'

Olympic size ice would put guys a lot of guys out of work. Boll, Parros, Wilson, Prust, and the like. Too much risk to keep those idiots on the squad. And you would see some guys excel even higher. I was ridiculously impressed at how well Pietrangelo skates. You see how much better Bouwmeester can be too. Datsyuk is just ridiculous. A good guy like Kris Russel could reach star level.

And a guy like Johansen or Spezza that can stickhandle in a phone booth... give 'em 13 extra feet to make a play? fuggeddaboutit.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you listen to Al Michaels and Emerick on NBC, the USA already has the gold medal locked up....shucks, guess we have to settle for playing for bronze then :rollseyes:

But what does Eruzione think?!?!?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching some replays...

Ten minutes into the first game and I was thinking the same thing.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh come on. Every Canadian analyst I've heard has been ridiculously cocky. Watched a video on Sportsnet and they said "Bobrovsky is good enough to get the Russians to the gold medal game vs. Canada, but not good enough to beat them." That's pure arrogance. Canadians (and frankly Russians, Finns, and Americans) has every right to be confident, but no one has the right to be arrogant at this point.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also had a pretty stellar sack of potatoes moment as well. Dustin's gonna Dustin.

^^ :thumb:

That's gonna affect that King locker room. But you almost gotta respect Slava for having the balls to speak up. Almost. Same deal as Quick on the goal. He says something when it benefits him. Shuts up otherwise.

Bobrovsky's legs are long enough that he can touch both posts and keep his five hole covered, and he uses this when the play is behind the net. Post to post covered and shifts weight depending on where the play comes out and uses the far side post to leverage himself up. I've never seen him bump a post off. Patrick Roy used to launch off posts too. A lot of guys do it.

Olympic size ice would put guys a lot of guys out of work. Boll, Parros, Wilson, Prust, and the like. Too much risk to keep those idiots on the squad. And you would see some guys excel even higher. I was ridiculously impressed at how well Pietrangelo skates. You see how much better Bouwmeester can be too. Datsyuk is just ridiculous. A good guy like Kris Russel could reach star level.

And a guy like Johansen or Spezza that can stickhandle in a phone booth... give 'em 13 extra feet to make a play? fuggeddaboutit.

Do you think the posts look a little weaker than a typical NHL net? Curious as to your opinion. I've watched the replay a few times and I keep coming away thinking that there's no way the net should've come off from that.