• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Olympic hockey thread

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doob's analysis after everyone's 1st game...

#1 USA: flat out dominated a quality Slovakian team in every aspect of the game. USA might not be the most talented team in the tournament, but I think they got the right pieces and work together as a cohesive unit.

#2 Finland: blowout victory against Austria which I considered to be a potential dark horse team in this tournament, but giving up a hat trick to Michael Grabner adds doubt about their defense.

#3 Sweden: looked solid in their victory against the Czech Republic. Let up a little bit at the end, but that's expected once you go up 4-0.

#4 Canada: not a bad performance but nothing great either. I think they need to step their game up if they're going to live up to expectations.

#5 Russia: same as Canada.

#6 Switzerland: were taken to the brink by Latvia but came up with the big goal when they had to.

#7 Latvia: was very impressed by the effort they put up against Switzerland but I don't expect much more from them in this tournament.

#8 Czech Republic: very bad start against Sweden to put them in a 4-0 hole, but they seemed to come around after they put in Alexander Salak. Schedule does get easier for them so I expect them to improve.

#9 Norway: actually played Canada pretty tough, good goaltending by Lars Haugen.

#10 Slovenia: hung in there with the Ruskies, gotta give them credit for that. Plus I like their jerseys.

#11 Austria: expected them to be the dark horse of this tournament, looked horrible against Finland with the exception of Grabner's hat trick.

#12 Slovakia: no team got manhandled in these games like Slovakia did against the USA. Although the USA is a very formidable team, you would expect more from a team with the likes of Zdeno Chara, Marian Hossa, & Jaroslav Halak.

So basically, look at the boxscores?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selanne injured with an upper body injury, but apparently will be ready to play for Finland in their second game.

Grabner on the big ice surface is obviously scary. More importantly he & Vanek are healthy after game 1.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woah ... Mike peca in the cesspool talking about having nerves at the Olympics

Peca: "personally ... Michael Peca didnt feel alot of pressure"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
woah ... Mike peca in the cesspool talking about having nerves at the Olympics

Peca: "personally ... Michael Peca didnt feel alot of pressure"

How does Mike Peca feel about Jay Bouwmeester on the Canadian Olympic team?

/Trying to get this thread back on topic.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
/Trying to get this thread back on topic.

sorry

has this been done on here yet ??? >>> i saw it discussed on twitter ... the "how the fuck did they make team canada list?" ... look back at that nagano team ... poop!

who will we look back upon in 5 or more years and say wtf ... hamhuis ... smith ... jeff carter?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Matty and I were discussing the Torino Canadian roster a couple of day ago, granted the league was coming out of a lockout but man, that roster looks terrible in retrospect.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Matty and I were discussing the Torino Canadian roster a couple of day ago, granted the league was coming out of a lockout but man, that roster looks terrible in retrospect.

I would say part of the reason why that team looks so bad compared to this one is the league is more about skill now, more about speed and skill than toughness/defensive defensemen - there are more talented players now than there were 8-9 years ago, young talent that is

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

12 players on Torino I questioned
6 on Nagano
This one has maybe 2

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's okay if you want to send Tavares home after 1 game dash. I honestly don't want him drinking the water in Sochi & those beds look very uncomfortable. I have no idea how Chara can get any sleep.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's okay if you want to send Tavares home after 1 game dash. I honestly don't want him drinking the water in Sochi & those beds look very uncomfortable. I have no idea how Chara can get any sleep.

I think there are only two (okay maybe three guys I have question marks on the Canadian team)

Dan Hamhuis - I'd rather see Giordano (call me a homer, but he has played great this season for a bad Flames team)

Jeff Carter - Claude Giroux should be there in his place

Patrick Marleau - This one is iffy for me, love his speed, just don't know about the intensity at times.

As for Tavares (lol), you know I really like him.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry

has this been done on here yet ??? >>> i saw it discussed on twitter ... the "how the fuck did they make team canada list?" ... look back at that nagano team ... poop!

who will we look back upon in 5 or more years and say wtf ... hamhuis ... smith ... jeff carter?

Jeff Carter looked pretty out of place today. A lot of people say playing with Crosby can be a challenging adjustment, and I don't doubt it, but there were moments he got the puck on a platter and missed badly. Not just with Sid's line either.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are only two (okay maybe three guys I have question marks on the Canadian team)

Dan Hamhuis - I'd rather see Giordano (call me a homer, but he has played great this season for a bad Flames team)

Patrick Marleau - This one is iffy for me, love his speed, just don't know about the intensity at times.

Those are my same ones

I could keep Marleau Nd trade carter for Giroux. Hamhuis would be in the box

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While in a hockey sense, this is very true I cannot condone the statement.

Let me set the scene; Me and one other guy, same age as me but has lived in Columbus his whole life. Lifelong hockey fan. Jackets fan. We share a lab space. We have two cubes in a windowless room, and on the wall we have a 47" "Monitor" that we have displaying IT system health messages. Today, that became the TV as I plugged my laptop into it and I cranked my laptop speakers up.

The whole time during the game, every time Jeff Carter touched the puck or was mentioned, or shown on the screen he stated, simply, "fuck Jeff Carter". He was on a conference call at one point in the third and as was saying something, I heard the "mute beep" and "fuck Jeff Carter" and then the unmute beep and he kept on. It was a good day.

Jeff Carter looked pretty out of place today. A lot of people say playing with Crosby can be a challenging adjustment, and I don't doubt it, but there were moments he got the puck on a platter and missed badly. Not just with Sid's line either.

fuck Jeff Carter