• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shin-Soo Choo not ready to be full-time DH

The Spring Training drama for Choo could be about how much time he spends at designated hitter. It's another topic he is not eager to discuss.

"Whatever direction the team is taking or needs me, I'm willing to help," Choo said. "But I am not ready for full-time DH."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers’ pursuit of Brian Dozier isn’t dead and won’t be dead until another second baseman is in their uniform — and who knows, even then a trade with the Twins might be possible.

The stalemate over Dozier, however, has prompted the Dodgers to cast a wide net in their search for a second baseman, according to major-league sources — a net that extends beyond two previous targets, the Tigers’ Ian Kinsler and Rays’ Logan Forsythe.

Most of the Dodgers’ preferences are not known, but they’ve spoken with the Rangers about infielder Jurickson Profar, sources said. Two other switch-hitting second basemen — the Phillies’ Cesar Hernandez and Nationals’ Wilmer Difo -– would be potential fits, but it is not confirmed that they actually are on the Dodgers’ radar.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice positive interview with Tyson Ross on News 5. Likes being a Ranger.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers sign James loney to minors deal. $1M if in majors.

According to Jon Heyman

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, this offseason's ledger reads-

Outgoing:
Beltran
Desmond
Moreland
Hoying
Holland
Lewis
Tolleson
Diekman (medical, but still a loss)
LuJax

Incoming:
Ross
Cashner
Gee
Loney
Snider
Lerud

Yikes. Outside of Tyson Ross's potential, that's about as bad of an offseason as you can have. I'm ok with most of the guys leaving and certainly understand the reasoning for not paying big to keep a few of them. Also, I didn't expect or necessarily want us to go crazy and over-spend on a bunch of bad contracts. But I thought JD would have made some moves to at least try and replace the production lost. Sign Napoli. Trade for another legit starter or maybe one more bat. Add a lefty reliever. Something. Anything.

I know there's still time left to get stuff done, but it needs doing because if Joey Gallo, James Loney, and the ghost of Josh Hamilton are the players you're banking on to replace a lot of offense, you're dead in the water.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Outgoing:
Beltran
Desmond
Moreland
Hoying
Holland
Lewis
Tolleson
LuJax

Incoming:
Ross
Cashner
Gee
Loney
Snider
Lerud

Yikes. Outside of Tyson Ross's potential, that's about as bad of an offseason as you can have. I'm ok with most of the guys leaving and certainly understand the reasoning for not paying big to keep a few of them. Also, I didn't expect or necessarily want us to go crazy and over-spend on a bunch of bad contracts. But I thought JD would have made some moves to at least try and replace the production lost. Sign Napoli. Trade for another legit starter or maybe one more bat. Add a lefty reliever. Something. Anything.

I know there's still time left to get stuff done, but it needs doing because if Joey Gallo, James Loney, and the ghost of Josh Hamilton are the players you're banking on to replace a lot of offense, you're dead in the water.

I wont deem us dead in the water yet, but I still don't expect a roster is going to come together at this time that will win the Rangers a 3rd straight AL West title. Stranger things have happened though I guess. Just doesnt look like there is even a hope of spending much at this time

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont deem us dead in the water yet, but I still don't expect a roster is going to come together at this time that will win the Rangers a 3rd straight AL West title. Stranger things have happened though I guess. Just doesnt look like there is even a hope of spending much at this time
I hope we can sign a couple of guys on one year deals that we can trade at deadline time if we are indeed out of the race. This year won't be a total waste if we can position ourselves for next year and beyond by acquiring some young talent in July who we can expect to play beginning in 2018 or so.

I would still look into the possible trades we could make for both Profar and Odor. If Odor could bring back a substantially better return then I would be in favor of trading him and keeping Profar.

If we can get a good first half out of Choo I would certainly look into trading him while we can.

I just don't hold out much hope for a WS run with this team even if we do acquire Napoli, but like you said stranger things have happened.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Outgoing:
Beltran
Desmond
Moreland
Hoying
Holland
Lewis
Tolleson
LuJax

That's not as bad as it seems.

Beltran was brought in for the postseason and he contributed jack shit. Not a loss.

Desmond fell off a cliff in the second half, so it's yet to be seen how much of a loss this is.

Moreland takes with him great defense but an inconsistent bat. Somewhat of a loss.

Hoying isn't a loss.

Holland is basically Moreland on the mound. Flashes of greatness but zero consistency. Sort of a loss.

Lewis is an innings eater that we all love. Replaceable on the mound, but never in our hearts. A loss that was addressed.

Tolleson isn't a loss.

Diekman is a significant part of the bullpen, but plays with fire a lot. A loss that may allow another piece to step up.

Jackson is an unknown at this time.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we can sign a couple of guys on one year deals that we can trade at deadline time if we are indeed out of the race. This year won't be a total waste if we can position ourselves for next year and beyond by acquiring some young talent in July who we can expect to play beginning in 2018 or so.

I would still look into the possible trades we could make for both Profar and Odor. If Odor could bring back a substantially better return then I would be in favor of trading him and keeping Profar.

If we can get a good first half out of Choo I would certainly look into trading him while we can.

I just don't hold out much hope for a WS run with this team even if we do acquire Napoli, but like you said stranger things have happened.

I don't see them spending the money this year to even bring guys in on 1 year deals. All things at this time point to Rua, Gallo and Profar being the options this year at multiple positions. If they are relying on that it could be tough to score runs possibly. All 3 have potential to do some good things but I don't see a ton of production out of the 3 of them this year.

I am afraid Choo is unable to stay healthy enough to move or contribute much. If JD had the Prince/Choo options to do over again knowing how its played out, he runs like hell, but that is hindsight we all know

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is a poor way of running a team. Every year sign players to one year deals so we can unload them at the deadline. And you plan every year on unloading Choo and you have added Odor and several others to your list. How do we put together a good team over the years if follow that game plan

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see them spending the money this year to even bring guys in on 1 year deals. All things at this time point to Rua, Gallo and Profar being the options this year at multiple positions. If they are relying on that it could be tough to score runs possibly. All 3 have potential to do some good things but I don't see a ton of production out of the 3 of them this year.

I am afraid Choo is unable to stay healthy enough to move or contribute much. If JD had the Prince/Choo options to do over again knowing how its played out, he runs like hell, but that is hindsight we all know
Relying on Gallo, Profar & Rua to fill this year's needs is a surrender move. It says the Rangers are writing off 2017

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relying on Gallo, Profar & Rua to fill this year's needs is a surrender move. It says the Rangers are writing off 2017

So tell us what you would do this year, Scotty. Specifically. Don't speak in generalities. You're the GM. Go.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a poor way of running a team. Every year sign players to one year deals so we can unload them at the deadline. And you plan every year on unloading Choo and you have added Odor and several others to your list. How do we put together a good team over the years if follow that game plan
Where did you get the "every year" part?

You are looking at what I wrote and comparing it to having a team this year that is going to be good enough to make a championship run. That is an unrealistic way to look at it. My idea was in contrast to not going out and getting anyone worth much. That is more like reality. We can't live in a fantasy world. We have a team that probably isn't going to compete. I am accepting that and hoping for the best.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was hoping maybe they would spend if they thought they would be able to not have to pay much more than half of the salary if they fell out of contention. You could be right though.

If they are ever able to unload Choo they would have to eat half of his salary.