• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what you are suppose to do in a rebuild. Only if the M's would have done that 5 years ago with Felix and some others we had at the time. We could actually have had a real farm system with guys that contribute for more than half a year and made trades for real studs and not lose a beat. Only if...

I will say that Quintana trade was highway robbery IMO. I wouldn't give more than Cease and another mid-level prospect. Sure Quintana isn't just a rental and has been extremely consistent over the course of his career, but I see him as a #2 or #3. For what the Cubs gave up, I'd be wanting an Ace in return.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raises the question are the Cubs looking to win just one more then head back into the deep dark part of the MLB standings down the road?

Cubs still have a very good core of young players. I think that even if they trade away their top two prospects, they're still built for long-term success. Although I think the Cubs gave up way too much for Quintana, their core is still very young.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees, Nationals, Dodgers, Cubs, Brewers, Royals, Angels and Mariners could all be in the mix for lefty Brad Hand, Heyman reports.

Although bullpen arms are a dime a dozen, Brad Hand would be a pretty good acquisition if the price is right. He won't hit free agency until 2020 and over the past two years has a 2.71 ERA in 136 IP with 171 Ks.

It appears JD wants to buy now while building for the future. Brad Hand would fit that mold.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unrelated to this thread, but Michael Pineda is going to be having Tommy John surgery.

Tough news for him. Still would've preferred having him over Montero the past few years.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unrelated to this thread, but Michael Pineda is going to be having Tommy John surgery.

Tough news for him. Still would've preferred having him over Montero the past few years.

That does suck, and yeah instead of trading for fat boy, it would have been interested to see him in the M's rotation beating out Felix for the number one slot....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that Quintana trade was highway robbery IMO. I wouldn't give more than Cease and another mid-level prospect. Sure Quintana isn't just a rental and has been extremely consistent over the course of his career, but I see him as a #2 or #3. For what the Cubs gave up, I'd be wanting an Ace in return.

Yes and this is why JD should be doing some of his own robbery right now using Paxton, Cruz, Diaz, and/or Seager.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and this is why JD should be doing some of his own robbery right now using Paxton, Cruz, Diaz, and/or Seager.

I don't necessarily disagree with making trades that will help us win this year, next year and the following - but if JD were to receive an offer for Paxton, Cruz, Diaz and/or Seager anything like what the White Sox received for Quintana, it would be absurd not to accept it.

Even if JD wants to be a buyer, if he received an offer like that, I'd say you might as well go into selling mode.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you time:

Trade

1- Paxton for Verlander and Fulmer
2- Paxton for Hamels and Darvish (free agent at end of year)

Thanks for playing. :)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman-

Seattle Mariners

• The Mariners could go either way – buyers or sellers – but they are reluctant to sell as a “now” team.
  • One player they’ve liked in the past is Lucas Duda. So if they decide to look for another hitter, that could be one to keep an eye on.
  • Robinson Cano remains great on the big stage. They miss him in New York. Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson was on hand to collect some memorabilia from Cano’s winning night. Eventually, Cano himself may make it to Cooperstown.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you time:

Trade

1- Paxton for Verlander and Fulmer
2- Paxton for Hamels and Darvish (free agent at end of year)

Thanks for playing. :)

1. I would do that in a second. I'd actually take Fulmer over Paxton. I think Paxton actually has the ability to be much better than he currently is, but he's injury prone and much older than Fulmer.

2. That's tough. I'm not in favor of moving any long-term assets unless it's for another good, young player. Paxton I'd put into that "long-term assets" category since he isn't a free agent until 2021 and as I've mentioned I think that he has quite a high ceiling still. Hamels is overpaid and I think he's falling off. I have no idea how his ERA is so low when his K rate has plummeted. I'd say no to this one since I'd prefer to make trades that improve the team now, and in the longer term.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Mariners should try to move Danny Valencia to the Yankees.

Danny is a "solid" 1B who has versatility considering his ability to play 3B, 1B and OF. He doesn't project to be around all that long and the Yankees have a gaping hole at 1B. I believe they recently made a trade for a guy whose name I can't remember and hasn't played a game in the majors. That being said, a vet like Valencia might appeal to them.

Although Vogelbach has struggled in his brief stint in the majors, he projects as our future first baseman. I expect that unless the Mariners add someone in free agency or through a trade, Vogelbach will be our starting 1B next year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Heyman-

Seattle Mariners

• The Mariners could go either way – buyers or sellers – but they are reluctant to sell as a “now” team.
  • One player they’ve liked in the past is Lucas Duda. So if they decide to look for another hitter, that could be one to keep an eye on.
  • Robinson Cano remains great on the big stage. They miss him in New York. Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson was on hand to collect some memorabilia from Cano’s winning night. Eventually, Cano himself may make it to Cooperstown.

I don't really see the appeal in Duda or why the Mariners like him. I don't think he'd be much of an improvement and he is a free agent after this season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another name that might come up for the M's is relief pitcher Joe Smith with Blue Jays. Comes off the DL this week and had a great 1st half (47K/8W 3.41 ERA). He was rumored to be an option for the M's this winter and was said to be one of Dipoto's faves with Angels.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another name that might come up for the M's is relief pitcher Joe Smith with Blue Jays. Comes off the DL this week and had a great 1st half (47K/8W 3.41 ERA). He was rumored to be an option for the M's this winter and was said to be one of Dipoto's faves with Angels.

Heard that as well. Makes sense that he might look into Smith.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow. I still remember talking about this deal on the CBS boards with ya'll. Fuckin' weird to think we've been shooting the shit over sports forums for almost 10 years now.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a long thought process over the weekend, I wouldn't trade Seager for anything right now....