• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without question I’m in the camp of its in their best interest to suck. I’d rather them be terrible and get a top pick over missing the playoffs by 5 games and get a mid round pick. Striking distance of the 2nd WC means (to me) they are within 5 games of that position by the trade deadline which with this offense and starting staff doesn’t seem far fetched to me. The bullpen will probably suck and offset it though.

I don’t think there really is a market for a guy like Leake in the offseason enough to trade him. He is a type of pitcher that a contender trades for when they whiff on the top pitchers at the deadline. I’m sure there is a trade available but if the team is trying to contend then, to me, it’s better to hold onto him until there is a team desperate for a pitcher. No one is desperate enough to trade for a back end of the rotation pitcher right now....

But like I’ve said this rebuild has been so confusing/backwards that it wouldn’t surprise me if Jerry traded Leake and ended up bolstering the bullpen.

I suppose I probably have an inflated sense of Leake's value. I see him as a steady middle of the rotation guy who doesn't cost too much. You're right on holding on to him until the deadline though. Just surprised we haven't heard rumors about teams reaching out.

Only justification I could see for bolstering the bullpen via free agency is in the hope that they could later be traded for something of value.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose I probably have an inflated sense of Leake's value. I see him as a steady middle of the rotation guy who doesn't cost too much. You're right on holding on to him until the deadline though. Just surprised we haven't heard rumors about teams reaching out.

Only justification I could see for bolstering the bullpen via free agency is in the hope that they could later be traded for something of value.

I get your feeling on him, and I may be completely off. Just generally middle of the rotation guys like him are dealt at the deadline after all the top pitchers are traded. I do think though he would be worth a decent, not top prospect, for a contender. I think a pitcher like him is perfect for a playoff team as a super long reliever with how teams are using their rotations in the playoffs.

I was just being a smart ass about him bolstering the bullpen. I pray to god Jerry doesn’t. As of right now outside of an ace the bullpen is the biggest weakness and I really am hoping for a 65ish win season. Cause just running through the offense they have semi downgraded at DH and if Santana and Beckham play to their potential then this offense is actually better than the suspended Cano offense last year in which they needed a great closer.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your feeling on him, and I may be completely off. Just generally middle of the rotation guys like him are dealt at the deadline after all the top pitchers are traded. I do think though he would be worth a decent, not top prospect, for a contender. I think a pitcher like him is perfect for a playoff team as a super long reliever with how teams are using their rotations in the playoffs.

I was just being a smart ass about him bolstering the bullpen. I pray to god Jerry doesn’t. As of right now outside of an ace the bullpen is the biggest weakness and I really am hoping for a 65ish win season. Cause just running through the offense they have semi downgraded at DH and if Santana and Beckham play to their potential then this offense is actually better than the suspended Cano offense last year in which they needed a great closer.

That's actually a good point regarding the offense. The offense actually does look like it will be pretty strong in 2019. I believe Dee Gordon will be better in 2019 than he was in 2018 because he played through injuries, and as you mentioned the outfield will likely generate a lot of offensive output.

When it comes to "bolstering" the bullpen, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mariners were to give another buy-low candidate like Cory Gearrin who could potentially outperform his contract and be a semi-valuable trade asset at the deadline. Don't really know who the options are though and I don't care to look because I'm lazy and such a move would be marginal anyway.

Sad to say and I feel like a shitty fan for saying that I do hope for a 65ish win season, but it is what is in the best long-term interest of the organization. I'll still be a sucker and go to games and watch them on TV because it's something I genuinely enjoy doing, but it would be great if the Mariners could land a top 5 pick or two in the next couple of years.

srf1957

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Mariners had a top 5 pick they would just choose some worthless player .

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The draft is a crapshoot. Higher the pick, the better the odds you don't mess up.

Picking in the top 10 also gives the added benefit that if there was a top-tier free agent we were interested in, we wouldn't have to sacrifice a pick.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Potentially true but when they get the number 1 overall pick they have been pretty good the last two times they have had it with the two of the three (Mickey Mantle) best players of all time.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is a crapshoot. Higher the pick, the better the odds you don't mess up.

Picking in the top 10 also gives the added benefit that if there was a top-tier free agent we were interested in, we wouldn't have to sacrifice a pick.
Wouldnt have to sacrifice the 1st round pick, however you would have to surrender the 2nd round pick and so on

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not buying the "full rebuild" fellas just doesnt seem like thats what going on to me, sure the farm system is better at the top, but there are still sellable pieces at the major league level. shit the major league roster is arguably not worse than it was last year

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not buying the "full rebuild" fellas just doesnt seem like thats what going on to me, sure the farm system is better at the top, but there are still sellable pieces at the major league level. shit the major league roster is arguably not worse than it was last year

Not sure the trade value many of the guys left on the roster have. Since I'm bored I'll go through some guys that come to mind as plausible trade candidates:

Marco Gonzales: Dipoto really seems to love him and was extremely defensive of that trade when it happened. I'd find it highly unlikely he gets moved because the Mariners would also be selling really low on him IMO.

Wade LeBlanc: He hasn't come up in rumors or anything as far as I know. Given his 2018 performance and his relatively favorable contract, I find it unlikely he gets moved this offseason. If he continues pitching well in 2019, I could see him moved at the deadline.

Mike Leake: See above. I have a very high opinion of him, but I believe that @wazzu31 brought up some really good points about how a player of his caliber is more valuable at the trade deadline. If LeBlanc and/or Leake were to be moved, I'd expect it to be at the deadline. If only he was a Husky fan...

Ryon Healy: I don't really see much value here as of right now. Can't imagine someone has any interest in him unless a contender suffers some serious injuries and desperately needs a 1B or DH.

Dee Gordon: Coming off of a down year. He's a guy I like a lot as a player, but his contract and age are a bit of a hinderance. If he plays well and a team needs a middle infielder, I could see interest in him accumulating, but I'd be surprised if he was moved during the offseason.

Kyle Seager: His contract, age, regression and inability to adjust to the shift make his value basically nothing.

Jay Bruce: Coming off a poor year, has a bad contract, limited defensive value and is about to turn 32. Only way the Mariners move him is if he is packaged with someone else as a contract dump or if he starts the year off hot.

Mitch Haniger: This is really the first of the guys listed I think has a decent chance at still being traded. I don't think anything will come up regarding him until Bryce Harper signs. If Harper signs with the Phillies, I could see trade talks opening up with a team like the Dodgers. They just moved two of their starting outfielders and have a very strong farm system that could "blow away" Dipoto.

Edwin Encarnacion: I expect he will be moved before the start of the season. Not a prayer he is with the team by the trade deadline. I just hope that Dipoto doesn't get swindled here because everyone knows he has no place on the team.

Can't really think of anyone else on the major league roster that has much value that I'd anticipate Dipoto trying to move unless you want to get into the minutiae of the value of what remains of our bullpen.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ray's want ..avisail garcia..RF /DH.
...rosenthal

.but he wont hit 36 hr..he may hit 20
but maybe if they add....EE as well
that may help..exem at the deadline

or castillanos...lol

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but with ...yandy diaz ( rays 1b)only haveing
260 at bats....maybe EE...is better
for them...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure the trade value many of the guys left on the roster have. Since I'm bored I'll go through some guys that come to mind as plausible trade candidates:

Marco Gonzales: Dipoto really seems to love him and was extremely defensive of that trade when it happened. I'd find it highly unlikely he gets moved because the Mariners would also be selling really low on him IMO.

Wade LeBlanc: He hasn't come up in rumors or anything as far as I know. Given his 2018 performance and his relatively favorable contract, I find it unlikely he gets moved this offseason. If he continues pitching well in 2019, I could see him moved at the deadline.

Mike Leake: See above. I have a very high opinion of him, but I believe that @wazzu31 brought up some really good points about how a player of his caliber is more valuable at the trade deadline. If LeBlanc and/or Leake were to be moved, I'd expect it to be at the deadline. If only he was a Husky fan...

Ryon Healy: I don't really see much value here as of right now. Can't imagine someone has any interest in him unless a contender suffers some serious injuries and desperately needs a 1B or DH.

Dee Gordon: Coming off of a down year. He's a guy I like a lot as a player, but his contract and age are a bit of a hinderance. If he plays well and a team needs a middle infielder, I could see interest in him accumulating, but I'd be surprised if he was moved during the offseason.

Kyle Seager: His contract, age, regression and inability to adjust to the shift make his value basically nothing.

Jay Bruce: Coming off a poor year, has a bad contract, limited defensive value and is about to turn 32. Only way the Mariners move him is if he is packaged with someone else as a contract dump or if he starts the year off hot.

Mitch Haniger: This is really the first of the guys listed I think has a decent chance at still being traded. I don't think anything will come up regarding him until Bryce Harper signs. If Harper signs with the Phillies, I could see trade talks opening up with a team like the Dodgers. They just moved two of their starting outfielders and have a very strong farm system that could "blow away" Dipoto.

Edwin Encarnacion: I expect he will be moved before the start of the season. Not a prayer he is with the team by the trade deadline. I just hope that Dipoto doesn't get swindled here because everyone knows he has no place on the team.

Can't really think of anyone else on the major league roster that has much value that I'd anticipate Dipoto trying to move unless you want to get into the minutiae of the value of what remains of our bullpen.

To me, it’s either Bruce or Encarnacion will get dealt. To, again it’d be ass backwards to deal both because they will be paying for the salary. Just doesn’t really make sense to continue to have a top 15 payroll during a rebuild and only way to not pay though is give up a young either prospect or player like how Diaz was thrown in so the Mets would take on part of Cano’s salary.

Mitch obviously is the high prize but I wouldn’t sleep on Healy. He’s not very good at 3B or 1B but with his power and age I think he’d be valuable to some team. Maybe not a top prospect but could bring a sleeper guy with how Haniger was, a guy with potential but zero path to the big leagues.

You know my feeling on Leake, and in a way Leblanc could be in a similar situation especially as I laid out how teams want versatile guys for their playoff rotation. And JA Happ was very similar in terms of not having anything click with being a pitcher until he came to Seattle and got the confidence.

Even more so than Haniger I think Marco is Jerry’s love child as those two moves are the only reason he has a job so doubt he will get dealt even though he has as much value as anyone not named Haniger and having an all star OF and a guy who has shown flashes of a solid number 2 are pointless in a rebuild. But since Paxton is gone anytime Jerry makes a call about interest anyone has in Seager and his contract the first thing that will be said back is if Marco is involved. I think a team will deal for Seager if Marco is involved as with his struggles right now Kyle is a perfect NL player. He can play 3B, 2B and most likely SS as well. Plus having him pinch hit automatically burns a lefty from the other teams pen.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it is
E E
leake
that they would try to move before
the deadline..
and at the deadline
leake
bruce
swarzack
santana
hernandez if possible

and maybe a few more

also i think ..where they are after the deadline will say more
than where they are right now

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edwin will get moved and I think Leake is a possibility but at this point it might make more sense to wait until July. Leblanc is another one that could be a July deal. The rest I think due to either having too unfriendly of a contract or Dipoto believing they are part of the next core

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AN ATTEMPT TO SHOW WHERE THE MARINERS MINORS NEED HELP..OR SHOW WEAK SPOTS..from..mlb..to AA..for line up...not pitching

mlb........................................AAA.............................AA....................................
assuming they trade...EE

LF..santana...............................miller..L/L...................fraley........................L/L
CF.smith....L/L...........................bishop.......................dom thopson-williams..L/L/knapp
RF.haniger.................................xxxxxxx....................lewis..............................
DH.bruce..L/L.............................ackley...L/L...............falia..........................L/L
1B.healy....................................curletta.....................white.........................
2B.gordon..L/L...........................crawford.L/L...............santa........................L/R
3B.seager.L/L.............................moore........................XXXXX....................... a lot of guys like logan taylor or cris mariscal could still be on the team..where i thought they would be free agents...as with chuck taylor
C.narvaez..L/L./freitas...................xxxxxxxxx.................de carlo.....................
SS.beckham.............................{(...calixti...)}......................walton......................

i thought they had signed calixti from river cat ( sac) but maybe they have not..??
after..DFA andreoli..maybe he will go to tacoma..??
alexander capriata CATCHER assigned to tacoma
600873.jpg

Tacoma Rainiers
divider-420x20.gif

• Full Name: Alexander Manuel Capriata
  • Birthplace: Barrancas del Orinoco, Venezuela
  • Bats/Throws: R/R Ht: 5' 11" Wt: 190
  • View Full Bio »
  • new AA CF
  • Aaron Raymond Knapp
  • Born: 11/04/1994 in Roseville, CA
  • Draft: 2016, Miami Marlins, 8th rd.
  • College: California
  • Relationship(s): brother of Andrew Knapp
maybe tomorrow HiGH A on down...LOL...or soon...lol

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Brennan
  • P
  • B/T: R/R
  • 6' 4/220
SummaryStatsChartsNewsSHOP
  • Brandon Sean Michael Brennan
  • Born: 7/26/1991 in Mission Viejo, CA
  • Draft: 2012, Chicago White Sox, 4th rd..............nice
  • College: Orange Coast CC, CA

2017 2 teams - Minors 2 2 4.68 42 0 0 0 2....... 15 15.......... 59.2 63 34 31 1 934 3 29 6 55 .274 1.54 2.0

15 saves in 17..between AA...and AAA
i think they will try him at closer

after being a rule 5 guy...ok then..
Aaron knapp brother of andrew knapp..catcher phili's

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Entire market is just completely stalled right now. I guess once Harper and Machado sign things start happening but this is even worse then last year which was also bad

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Entire market is just completely stalled right now. I guess once Harper and Machado sign things start happening but this is even worse then last year which was also bad

I think the market now is how it is going to be from now on. Last years big fish was JD Martinez and he was forced into taking a massively team friendly deal and deals that I think will be the trend where they are shorter term deals with club and player options much like basketball does.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the market now is how it is going to be from now on. Last years big fish was JD Martinez and he was forced into taking a massively team friendly deal and deals that I think will be the trend where they are shorter term deals with club and player options much like basketball does.

It’s gonna be interesting to see if more guys don’t get pre fa deals after seeing this go on 2 winters in a row