• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At first glance this seems like an ok return. Not a great return or a giveaway but a reasonable return. Paxton just turned 30 and only has 2 years of control left. I dont think his value is as high as some may think. If you were expected to be overwhelmed with the return I dont know what to tell you. It was pretty clear they were trading him, probably would have got more a year ago but oh well.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So no ability to add a Seager or Gordon to a Paxton deal? I truly look at this as a fail. It is a success for M's ownership because they get to excuse the fact they traded their best pitcher to save millions of dollars.

DIP said now they are going after a catcher. I would guess he will be 25 or under if playing for 2 to 3 years down the road.

I am glad they admitted to be playing for 2 to 3 years down the road. Don't get me wrong, they always are. Just nice they finally admitted it.

What's the point to holding on to Paxton?

Mariners aren't going to make the playoffs in 2019 and probably not 2020 either. The team needs more young talent. Paxton is a 30 year old with severe injury issues that aren't likely to get better with age.

I get that you're not happy with the package, that's fine. But to say we shouldn't have traded Paxton I think is a bit shortsighted. Also, the Astros would've been insane to give up Forrest Whitley for a pitcher with Paxton's injury issues.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Mariners coming out and basically saying they selling to win a few years down the road, do you think Felix would waive his 10/5 rights and accept a trade. The M's will obviously need to eat some salary, but do you think it is a legitimate option?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many of you are overestimating what the Mariners could get in return for a guy who has never pitched an entire season healthy and is now on the wrong side of 30.

Is Paxton one of the better pitchers in baseball when he's on the mound? I believe so. But I can't imagine many teams would be willing to give up a huge haul for someone Paxton's age with his injury history. His health makes him unreliable which diminished his value.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Mariners coming out and basically saying they selling to win a few years down the road, do you think Felix would waive his 10/5 rights and accept a trade. The M's will obviously need to eat some salary, but do you think it is a legitimate option?

I don't think anyone would want to take him. Even if the Mariners ate $20m of his $27.8m salary, it has been quite clear for a while now that Felix Hernandez is done. Felix was arguably awful on the mound in 2018 and didn't do anything to demonstrate there is any reason he'll be any better in 2019. Additionally, I'm not sure how interested teams would be in a former superstar who has refused to make any adjustments to his approach.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dipster making things happen.......

Now see what you can get for Cano and let's see this thing get done right for the first time since the early 90's!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many of you are overestimating what the Mariners could get in return for a guy who has never pitched an entire season healthy and is now on the wrong side of 30.

Is Paxton one of the better pitchers in baseball when he's on the mound? I believe so. But I can't imagine many teams would be willing to give up a huge haul for someone Paxton's age with his injury history. His health makes him unreliable which diminished his value.

This, well said. They missed the window where they could have maximized there return. At least they didnt extend him though

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid, dumb, asisine.

You dont build around a closer.

This is what makes any move, whether good or bad, less exciting considering that there’s clearly a botched plan in place. Not trading Diaz right now tells me Dipoto can say he’s eyeing 20’ or 21’, but having a legit team by then is unlikely considering his path to get there. Diaz is hands down our best commodity, but he’s a closer for God’s sake. You want a prospect like Whitely it’s gonna cost a Diaz. Do that deal and we are on to something, but building around a closer tells me it’ll be a new regime in 20’-21’.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mariners aren't going to make the playoffs in 2019 and probably not 2020 either. The team needs more young talent. Paxton is a 30 year old with severe injury issues that aren't likely to get better with age.

I get that you're not happy with the package, that's fine. But to say we shouldn't have traded Paxton I think is a bit shortsighted. Also, the Astros would've been insane to give up Forrest Whitley for a pitcher with Paxton's injury issues.

The point of holding on to him vs giving him up for crap should be obvious. Maybe I typed too fast and you couldn't keep up. If you get crap for him, you might as wells keep him until the wheels fall off or move him at the deadline when teams get robbed in deals. If he gets hurt before the deadline, then no loss because you got crap in return. If the guys turn out to be average, you still lost because no way a top 10 pitcher should return average no matter his injury history. People mention injury history yet forget no of it is major arm problems. For me it wouldn't even surprise me that the Cards got more for Marco than we did for Paxton.

Yes he is 30 but has little arm usage. He ain't freaking Felix at 30 with the arm barely hanging on. Even DIPshit said 2/3rds of the league was asking for him. So this was the best deal or was it just Dipshits fascination with overhyped Yanks?

Shortsighted is taking a deal that doesn't move the needle for your best player. The only reason he did it was to save money. If they kept him to the deadline, they probably would have had to pay him around $4.5M and M's weren't doing that.

But in the end, you have every right to continue kissing the ass of a horrid franchise. Buy your Kings Court T-shirt, and your Ichiro Bobbleheads and be happy. Best of luck.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You hang on to your good players, prospects should come through the draft not through other teams farm systems... This is the problem with this organization, how is it even remotely possible that we have one of the worst farm systems when we've been drafting high for the last 17 years ? Why don't we develop within, sign our veterans and keep good talent, it's maddening over the years watching this team @#$^ up over and over and over ....

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point of holding on to him vs giving him up for crap should be obvious. Maybe I typed too fast and you couldn't keep up. If you get crap for him, you might as wells keep him until the wheels fall off or move him at the deadline when teams get robbed in deals. If he gets hurt before the deadline, then no loss because you got crap in return. If the guys turn out to be average, you still lost because no way a top 10 pitcher should return average no matter his injury history. People mention injury history yet forget no of it is major arm problems. For me it wouldn't even surprise me that the Cards got more for Marco than we did for Paxton.

Yes he is 30 but has little arm usage. He ain't freaking Felix at 30 with the arm barely hanging on. Even DIPshit said 2/3rds of the league was asking for him. So this was the best deal or was it just Dipshits fascination with overhyped Yanks?

Shortsighted is taking a deal that doesn't move the needle for your best player. The only reason he did it was to save money. If they kept him to the deadline, they probably would have had to pay him around $4.5M and M's weren't doing that.

But in the end, you have every right to continue kissing the ass of a horrid franchise. Buy your Kings Court T-shirt, and your Ichiro Bobbleheads and be happy. Best of luck.

LOL. People's main argument appear to be his health issues and legitimately so but it's the gamble you'll have to take in by trading him in-season. This guy is dirt cheap with team control left, if he performs well in 2019 with minimal injury risk then you sell him to the highest bidder.

If he gets injured during the season and lose value..(literally, almost... every... single.. players... risk injuries) then oh well. He is what he is, injury prone. Still cheap.

This deal is what it is, but I'd be okay if they hold onto him until deadline too.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hang on to your good players, prospects should come through the draft not through other teams farm systems... This is the problem with this organization, how is it even remotely possible that we have one of the worst farm systems when we've been drafting high for the last 17 years ? Why don't we develop within, sign our veterans and keep good talent, it's maddening over the years watching this team @#$^ up over and over and over ....

Because every single GM's that go through here gets robbed and Raped in the ass.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid, dumb, asisine.

You dont build around a closer.
Pretty much come out and admit the best piece they have right now is Diaz. A closer.

This is sad.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because every single GM's that go through here gets robbed and Raped in the ass.

lol, pretty much ... Owners don't seem to set the bar very high either, and how many effin times are we gonna keep hiring rookie managers ? Everything is about saving money to these owners, they cut corners at every chance, accept when it comes to 1 players maybe 2 that they think are popular with the fans, they'll pay up for them...

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be absolutely fucking awful unless good prospects are coming the M's way too.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be absolutely fucking awful unless good prospects are coming the M's way too.

Wil Meyers is 2-3 years ago news.

Segura for prospects or nothing.

Something tells me a lot of the GM's around the league must think Dip is a piece of work to be continue pulling stunts like this.