• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what kind of payroll room are the mariners looking at for adding FAs?
Depending on what happens in arbitration, the 2018 and 2019 look roughly the same. That includes Cruz departing as well. I think Segura, Gordon and Seagar are all making more next year. Have no idea how the extra money from Cano's suspension plays a role. Personally I don't really want to add another bad contract, they have enough.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Eaton might be available.

Him in the OF givesbyou flexibility for another of addition as well and provides much needed on base skills.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.................................................................................................................................................2018.......2019
dollars committed ......... Value of Guaranteed Contracts (no options are exercised and includes buyouts) *$181.3M $124.2M
$83.2M $63.4M $38.9M

Seattle Mariners Salaries and Contracts | Baseball-Reference.com

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name201820192020202120222023SignedPlayers With Guaranteed Contracts (does not include players with options)
*2575321Dollars CommittedValue of Guaranteed Contracts (no options are exercised and includes buyouts)

*$181.3M$124.2M$83.2M$63.4M$38.9M$25MContract OptionsPlayers with any type of option22321Option ValuesMaximum value of options if all are exercised$14.3M$6M$37M$20M$17MArb

EligibleNumber of arbitration eligible players (1st-2nd-3rd-4th, "Arb" players = 3rds)0-0-6-00-0-19-00-0-25-00-0-23-00-0-13-0Arb CostsRough estimated value of all arbitration cases (uses 3-year averages for 1st yr, 2nd,..)†$3.5M$26.93M$85.3M$112.2M$103.2M$58.4M

Other PlayersAdditional Players Needed to Fill 25-man (no options exercised)121-3011

Other CostsEstimate of Remaining Players Costs (based on 1-year avg of all pre-arb players)$9.08M$756.73k-$2.27M$0$8.32MPayroll (no options)

Est. Total Payroll w/o Options (Guaranteed + Arb + Other)$160.2M$169.2M$173.3M$142.1M$91.7MPayroll (options)

Est. Total Payroll w/ Options (Guaranteed + Options + Arb + Other)$173M$173.7M$208M$160.6M$107.9

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same, simply because it is a plan to be great down the road. It may not work out but its actually a plan.

There is no hope of this franchise being great and they never have been. They had 1 year of being great in franchise history and even that team wasn't built for the postseason. The plan forever has been to be competitive and hope things break your way.

Any sane boss of an organization would realize you can only have a plan fail so many times before trying something different. Not this franchise though.

Your first sentence is precisely the problem they had since Bavasi was let go. While a terrible GM, you knew his plan. 90% big club 10% development. Jack Z came in with a plan and blew his entire plan up because a miraculous season. Jerry came in with a vision and outside of Haniger hasn’t made a single move that fits his model. Bringing in a shrink isn’t go to make guys who don’t take pitches suddenly work the count. Isn’t suddenly going to turn low leverage relievers into the ABC bullpen the Yankees had. Jerry lucked into a season where essentially every team but 6 were tanking it, not because of his great roster building and unfortunately with people like him he will look only see the good he did, not the bad. Hence the comment that he said 89 wins would have been considered a massive success going into the Spring Training.

Main issue with your last statement is the problem with a lot cooperations in this country. The bottom line is above results because when you make money it doesn’t necessarily mean you are doing it correctly, it’s more luck which owning a professional team you have to be incompetent to lose money in today’s society. My company is going through the same exact crap the Mariners are. Making hand over fist in money but are doing it wrong and eventually will go wrong (like enough people cutting the cord). Buying Root Sports was a money maker, and I think subconsciously the main reason they opposed the Sonics and the Sodo Arena. A NBA team is actually competition would harm their bottom line. Not realizing the most successful season in Mariners history was followed up by a finals appearance by the Sonics and yet the Mariners set a record at the time for attendance in the frickin Kingdome.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on what happens in arbitration, the 2018 and 2019 look roughly the same. That includes Cruz departing as well. I think Segura, Gordon and Seagar are all making more next year. Have no idea how the extra money from Cano's suspension plays a role. Personally I don't really want to add another bad contract, they have enough.

I thought they only didn’t have to pay Cano during his suspension. No relief for any other time. Either way in the next CBA MLB needs to stand firm with any PED suspension should nullify the contract. No team should be obligated to pay a player who played any of the contract illegal (against MLB rules) the MLBPA needs a slap in the face, they are the opposite of the NFLPA where they always get what they want with no fight from the owners.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
segura
haniger
vogelbach
healy
gamel
heredia
gonzales
diez
colome
armstrong
bradford
festa
rumbelow

fit the model...for depoto...resigning seager did not and at this point they need a HR hitting
platoon to go with him....and backup voggy at dh

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
segura
haniger
vogelbach
healy
gamel
heredia
gonzales
diez
colome
armstrong
bradford
festa
rumbelow

fit the model...for depoto...resigning seager did not and at this point they need a HR hitting
platoon to go with him....and backup voggy at dh

having a bullpen that can basicially make it a 7 inning agme with Colon and Diaz is why the M's can outrank their pythagoriean expectations (plus you guys flat out stole vincent from San Diego).

Upgrading the rotation is a huge need, and paying Felix and Gordon 40m when you need a rotation upgrade is not helpful.

I think you guys probably should play for defense here and have Cano play either 1B or DH.

Maybe you have to trade one of Healy or Vogelbach to try and fill another need.

If you can swing a trade for Eaton from Washington to play LF and then just focus on defense in CF, it might be the cheapest way to have the impact you're looking for.

But you gotta hope that Seager just had a down year, there's some real talent there, and frankly he's worth the money even if you get 2017 Seager and not 2016. It looks like he changed his swing and trigger in 2018. Going back to his old ways might help him a bit there. There's at least some upside since he made a major change in 2018 that seems to be at least somewhat fixable.

New Swing Brings New Struggles for Kyle Seager | Community – FanGraphs Baseball

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. Jack Z came in with a plan and blew his entire plan up because a miraculous season.

That stupid 2009 season was the worst thing that could have happened to this franchise. It set them back many years into thinking they were contenders. I'd say they still haven't recovered from it fully because they have been fake competing since.

.Jerry came in with a vision and outside of Haniger hasn’t made a single move that fits his model. Bringing in a shrink isn’t go to make guys who don’t take pitches suddenly work the count.
Yep all we heard was control the zone control the zone. The two big moves last offseason (Gordon, Healy) were the opposite of that. Just like Jack Z, the original plan is scrapped after a couple of years.

.Isn’t suddenly going to turn low leverage relievers into the ABC bullpen the Yankees had. Jerry lucked into a season where essentially every team but 6 were tanking it, not because of his great roster building and unfortunately with people like him he will look only see the good he did, not the bad. Hence the comment that he said 89 wins would have been considered a massive success going into the Spring Training.

The win total isn't relevant or reflective of the season. The Orioles and Royals were historically terrible and the M's went 11-2 against them. Take that away or bring that close to even and you get what this team is. This same group of guys could easily do what they did in 2017 win total wise.

Main issue with your last statement is the problem with a lot cooperations in this country. The bottom line is above results because when you make money it doesn’t necessarily mean you are doing it correctly, it’s more luck which owning a professional team you have to be incompetent to lose money in today’s society. My company is going through the same exact crap the Mariners are. Making hand over fist in money but are doing it wrong and eventually will go wrong (like enough people cutting the cord). Buying Root Sports was a money maker, and I think subconsciously the main reason they opposed the Sonics and the Sodo Arena. A NBA team is actually competition would harm their bottom line. Not realizing the most successful season in Mariners history was followed up by a finals appearance by the Sonics and yet the Mariners set a record at the time for attendance in the frickin Kingdome.

I'm not an expert in this. However there has to be something said about doing the same thing over and over again and failing at it while not changing. Of course profit is important but I don't get the feeling winning a championship is what drives a lot of the decisions. I don't think a couple years of non competitive baseball is gonna kill them that much attendance wise. The weekday games are already mostly dead anyway and series like the Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays will draw fans anyway. Maybe Mariner fans aren't as the average baseball fan but I think more and more are smart enough to know whats going on.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
The Cincinnati Reds announced Thursday morning that they have fired Bryan Price after four-plus seasons as manager.

Cincinnati has started the 2018 season 3-15, the worst record in baseball.

The Reds also ousted pitching coach Mack Jenkins. Former Washington Nationals manager Jim Riggleman will serve as the team's manager in the short-term, while Class AAA Louisville manager Pat Kelly and Class AA Pensacola pitching coach Danny Darwin will both join the major-league staff.

"Later in the year, the team will conduct a thorough managerial search for a permanent replacement," the Reds wrote on Twitter.

MORE

Price, 55, took over as manager in 2014 and finished with a record of 279-387. Cincinnati never won more than 76 games in a single season or finished higher than fourth in the National League's Central division.

here is a guy seattle can really use.....to train servais as well.......lolololol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price's tenure was marked by a reluctant and gradual rebuild that saw the team trade away All-Stars such as Aroldis Chapman, Johnny Cueto, Todd Frazier and Jay Bruce. Meanwhile, the inability to develop healthy pitchers kept the major league product volatile; the Reds cycled through at least 15 starting pitchers each of the last two seasons.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10df1252_davis.jpg

Chris Bosio
Position: Pitcher

Bats: Right • Throws: Right

6-3, 220lb (190cm, 99kg)

Born: April 3, 1963 (Age: 55-192d) in Carmichael, CA us

Draft: Drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 29th round of the 1981 MLB June Amateur Draft and the Milwaukee Brewers in the 2nd round of the 1982 MLB January Draft-Secondary Phase.

High School: Cordova HS (Rancho Cordova, CA)
i would want to hire both of these guys

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you keep brining ichiro back then....... bringing bosio back is a no brainer

even better have price be the manager

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
220px-Bryan_Price_2011.jpg
upload_2018-10-12_16-13-54.jpegupload_2018-10-12_16-13-54.jpeg

ryan Roberts Price (born June 22, 1962) is the former manager of the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball. After pitching in the minor leagues, Price has served as the pitching coach for the Seattle Mariners, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Cincinnati Reds before being named manager of the Reds. The Reds named Price the 61st manager in club history on October 22, 2013, replacing Dusty Baker.[1] However, after 4 consecutive losing seasons, and a 3-15 start to the season in 2018, he was fired by the Reds, along with his pitching coach at the time, Mack Jenkins, and replaced by Jim Riggleman.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Bannister
After pitching five seasons in the major leagues for the Kansas City Royals and New York Mets, Bannister, 37, joined the Boston Red Sox as a scout and analyst before moving to the coaching staff. He possesses one of the brightest pitching minds in the game. His title: Vice President, pitching development and assistant pitching coach.

Raul Ibanez

Ibanez, 46, has been a popular candidate for previous managerial openings. He was a finalist for the Rays job when Maddon left for Chicago and has been on several other short lists, including those in New York and Philadelphia. Currently serves the Dodgers as special assistant to the general manager.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they threw stottlemeyre under the bus ....but who will be next..ibanez is a good choice for mariners manager

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 candidates to take over as next Mets GM

Chaim Bloom, senior vice preisdent of baseball operations, Rays
A finalist for GM openings in Milwaukee and Philadelphia, Bloom has established a stellar reputation during his 13-year run with Tampa Bay. When Andrew Friedman left for Los Angeles in 2014, Bloom was promoted to the Rays' VP of baseball operations, adding the senior VP title in '16. Erik Neander holds the GM title, though the duo works in concert when it comes to the club. For Bloom, the opportunity to run his own team -- especially a big-market club in close proximity to his native Philly -- would be an interesting possibility.

Josh Byrnes, SVP of baseball operations, Dodgers
The former D-backs and Padres GM nearly landed the Mets' gig in 2010, finishing as the runner-up to Alderson. Byrnes, the Dodgers' senior VP of baseball operations for the past four years, was Epstein's assistant GM from 2003-05, helping the Red Sox break their 86-year curse. He's been a candidate for other GM jobs in recent years, including the Angels gig that went to Billy Eppler in late 2015.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well.....enough of managerial....meandering's

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not an expert in this. However there has to be something said about doing the same thing over and over again and failing at it while not changing. Of course profit is important but I don't get the feeling winning a championship is what drives a lot of the decisions. I don't think a couple years of non competitive baseball is gonna kill them that much attendance wise. The weekday games are already mostly dead anyway and series like the Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays will draw fans anyway. Maybe Mariner fans aren't as the average baseball fan but I think more and more are smart enough to know whats going on.

It’s not necessarily just making profit as a ton of corporations dating back to before the 08 crash were making so much money while doing it wrong they didn’t realize it until it was too late. They are making so much money doing it wrong that they are too afraid of doing the right thing of losing money.

I can get it from a business perspective. If they tank now and the Hawks, Mutts and the new NHL team is succeeds then they will lose revenue. But it goes back to the sometimes you have to lose money to make a crap load more and I think most of the ownership group is so far removed from risk that they are afraid. Buying the only local sports network isn’t risking anything, hiring GM’s no one wants isn’t risking anything. They put millions into keeping the NBA out of Seattle without realizing Root would be worth twice what it is if it had MLB and the NBA as the primary content. The ownership group are businessmen who have forgotten what make businesses successful not just profitable.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not necessarily just making profit as a ton of corporations dating back to before the 08 crash were making so much money while doing it wrong they didn’t realize it until it was too late. They are making so much money doing it wrong that they are too afraid of doing the right thing of losing money.

I can get it from a business perspective. If they tank now and the Hawks, Mutts and the new NHL team is succeeds then they will lose revenue. But it goes back to the sometimes you have to lose money to make a crap load more and I think most of the ownership group is so far removed from risk that they are afraid. Buying the only local sports network isn’t risking anything, hiring GM’s no one wants isn’t risking anything. They put millions into keeping the NBA out of Seattle without realizing Root would be worth twice what it is if it had MLB and the NBA as the primary content. The ownership group are businessmen who have forgotten what make businesses successful not just profitable.

i agree that they underestimate the northwest sports fans...and only take them in a direction they choose
which is...a garbage direction

Seattle Supersonics News and Updates

Seattle NBA goal takes big step forward; McMillan thinks NBA will "put a team there soon"

but some people......will never forgive them for taking them away

Last edited: