• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I semi disagree with the chemistry is important. Chemistry isn’t important if the team has something to galvanize all of them, either hating the manager, winning etc. But I do think chemistry is important for when teams start to fall apart like they did. Just my feeling is that good chemistry can turn a collapse just into a losing streak. Jerry and Scott preached how great the chemistry was which obviously isn’t the case or their wouldn’t have been an altercation that we all found out about. Every team has altercations but generally we never know about them. Like the Golden Tate/Percy Harvin fight.

No game has ever been won or lost because of chemistry. A season is made up of 162 games. For me, it is that simple. It is a team game made up of individual players making individual plays. A pitcher and catcher have to have an understanding of one another and the is as close as it comes.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No game has ever been won or lost because of chemistry. A season is made up of 162 games. For me, it is that simple. It is a team game made up of individual players making individual plays. A pitcher and catcher have to have an understanding of one another and the is as close as it comes.
Wait, you mean this doesn't go through a 2nd baseman's head?:

"I really like the guy who plays catcher. He's maybe the best catcher out of 300 catchers I've ever played with. You know what? I'm going to try extra hard to throw this ball straight to him in the 1/10th of a second I have to make this play."

or

"I really don't care what kind of money I make. All I care about is that I hate the guy catching, so I'll deliberately throw the ball slightly offline. Maybe nobody will notice, and I can still get a fat contract.".

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course no game is won off of chemistry, but if we are using that notion games aren’t necessarily won by talent then as most teams lose at least 70 games. Just like basketball, to me anyways, chemistry does help keep prolonged slides from happening. And chemistry isn’t necessarily a bunch of dudes liking each other. Guys can hate each other and want to kill each other but can have chemistry out in the field or court, a pitcher/catcher relationships etc. I just put some stock into it.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course no game is won off of chemistry, but if we are using that notion games aren’t necessarily won by talent then as most teams lose at least 70 games. Just like basketball, to me anyways, chemistry does help keep prolonged slides from happening. And chemistry isn’t necessarily a bunch of dudes liking each other. Guys can hate each other and want to kill each other but can have chemistry out in the field or court, a pitcher/catcher relationships etc. I just put some stock into it.

Basketball yes. Football yes. Baseball no. Chemistry makes a difference in team played sports. Baseball is a team sport made up of individual players making individual plays. DIPoto's comments about the team sliding because they didn't get along is so bullshit it is funny. They slid because they were never talented enough to win the marathon that is baseball. Then he contradicts himself by saying that this team never had a chance at winning the 98 games needed to make the playoffs in the first place.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They slid because they were never talented enough to win the marathon that is baseball. Then he contradicts himself by saying that this team never had a chance at winning the 98 games needed to make the playoffs in the first place.

1. I'd also add that despite not being talented enough, what hurt them as much as anything is Servais. And that's 100% on Dipoto. The manager had a guy who walked less then 10 times all year leading off for 4 months, kept using Nicasio in high leverage situations until he either blew his knee out or they exaggerated it to cover themselves and made countless other mistakes that I don't wanna rehash. Plus when a team cant overcome one losing streak, thats on the manager. Servais is negative value with all else equal.

2. Of course this team doesn't have a shot at winning 98 games. Their model is 85 wins and hope to get lucky. Dipoto has admitted to that multiple times and blames it on "bad sequencing." He brags about having the 5th best record in the AL the last few years like its some sort of accomplishment.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I'd also add that despite not being talented enough, what hurt them as much as anything is Servais. And that's 100% on Dipoto. The manager had a guy who walked less then 10 times all year leading off for 4 months, kept using Nicasio in high leverage situations until he either blew his knee out or they exaggerated it to cover themselves and made countless other mistakes that I don't wanna rehash. Plus when a team cant overcome one losing streak, thats on the manager. Servais is negative value with all else equal.

2. Of course this team doesn't have a shot at winning 98 games. Their model is 85 wins and hope to get lucky. Dipoto has admitted to that multiple times and blames it on "bad sequencing." He brags about having the 5th best record in the AL the last few years like its some sort of accomplishment.

I don't even get into the Servais conversation. I agree 100%, but he is so overwhelmed as a manager that it is just hysterical having him as manager so I just totally disregard it at this point. To me it is like me, a middle-class man, bitching about millionaire politicians not looking out for my best interest and only theirs. That is just a given. :)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball yes. Football yes. Baseball no. Chemistry makes a difference in team played sports. Baseball is a team sport made up of individual players making individual plays. DIPoto's comments about the team sliding because they didn't get along is so bullshit it is funny. They slid because they were never talented enough to win the marathon that is baseball. Then he contradicts himself by saying that this team never had a chance at winning the 98 games needed to make the playoffs in the first place.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Was the team as talented as they showed in the first half, no. But the lack of chemistry let them quit when the going got tough. They had more talent than to get their stuff pushed in by the Padres and other cellars dwellers. Maybe we just have different definitions of chemistry. I had/have chemistry with a boat load of people if I see them at a bar I wouldn’t feel bad for punching them in the face.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even get into the Servais conversation. I agree 100%, but he is so overwhelmed as a manager that it is just hysterical having him as manager so I just totally disregard it at this point. To me it is like me, a middle-class man, bitching about millionaire politicians not looking out for my best interest and only theirs. That is just a given. :)

Problem with Servais is

A. He was not/is not qualified to be a manager and why everyone was shocked he was named manager.

B. To the chemistry conversation is he has preached it since day one like it is the end all be all. I think it was Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. That’s what he does, he puts people in bad situations. He’s the good cop to a bad cop and they don’t have a bad cop who calls players out because it might hurt their feelings which seems to be the direction the organization is going where they concentrate on the mental aspect more than develop their baseball talent.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with Servais is

A. He was not/is not qualified to be a manager and why everyone was shocked he was named manager.

B. To the chemistry conversation is he has preached it since day one like it is the end all be all. I think it was Einstein who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. That’s what he does, he puts people in bad situations. He’s the good cop to a bad cop and they don’t have a bad cop who calls players out because it might hurt their feelings which seems to be the direction the organization is going where they concentrate on the mental aspect more than develop their baseball talent.
:dingdingding::clap2:
Couldn't agree more with you about Servais. I just keep thinking that Dipoto's selection of Servais for manager tells me all I need to know about Jerry. It will be amazing if this team goes anywhere in the next few years with the Dipoto/Servais dynamic duo. Ownership is very naïve when it comes to baseball. Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with Servais is

I didn't really care who they hired at the time. I figured it would come down to whoever Dipoto felt comfortable with. We were sold on this regime doing more creative and out of the box thinking three years. Clearly Dipoto just hired who he could control though. That's why it was Servais and not Bogar.

Watching three years of Servais he is anything but creative. He is more milk toast and stubborn then watching Lloyd manage. At least Lloyd had the balls to drop guys like Seagar in the order when they were struggling.
Servais meanwhile waits until things are disaster (Gordon leading off, Nicasio pitching high leverage, Seagar hitting 5th) until anything is done. Its anything but creative, its like being stuck in the 1980s.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amen to that!!!

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest thing for the M's is what is the plan and what is their identity.

They got great value out of a widely panned Cruz deal, but they gotta let him walk. You played with house money and won. walk away now.

That would open up DH for Cano and let Gordon play 2nd to improve the team defensively. You guys really need Healy to take the next step.

I like the mentioning of Eovaldi earlier in the thread, that's probably the kind of solution you can afford, and he'll be a full year back from TJ by next season.

The non-tenders will make the FA market interesting, it seems like OF is where money could be spent as well.

This team should tear it down, but it doesn't sound like that will happen.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't really care who they hired at the time. I figured it would come down to whoever Dipoto felt comfortable with. We were sold on this regime doing more creative and out of the box thinking three years. Clearly Dipoto just hired who he could control though. That's why it was Servais and not Bogar.

Watching three years of Servais he is anything but creative. He is more milk toast and stubborn then watching Lloyd manage. At least Lloyd had the balls to drop guys like Seagar in the order when they were struggling.
Servais meanwhile waits until things are disaster (Gordon leading off, Nicasio pitching high leverage, Seagar hitting 5th) until anything is done. Its anything but creative, its like being stuck in the 1980s.

Well it was reported all over Bogar was the choice and Servais to play good cop on the bench because he was players type of guy. I don’t know jack about Bogar so not sure if he has fire or not though. Dipoto’s main problem as I have stated over and over, is in my opinion he thinks he is so much smarter than everyone else and he is addicted to trades. That is a terrible combination, it’s like a sponsor in AA buying a bar to prove something.

True, he has had creative moments in a way like pulling pitchers where they are at 80 pitches but throwing a gem. Or giving his starting catcher 3 days off a week or having Gordon practice CF all offseason then instead of calling up Beckham or dealing for a 2B (plus having Romine as a option) they move Dee to 2B and have Heredia have his first time as a professional everyday player in the majors. I love Heredia, but he needed/needs to be in AAA starting everyday to work on his swing. Then Jerry decides Heredia isnt the answer so decides to trade for a guy who realistically wasn’t an upgrade.

I’m not sure if Jerry and Scott quit caring once they got their extension but something within the organization changed almost the instant the extensions were announced. And hopefully Stanton and co. can admit their mistakes and hire a new GM that has something to prove, not just an act that got him fired. Lord knows they have enough wealth in the ownership group to pull a Paul Allen and go in another direction once they realized it wasn’t going to work. I am totally cool with the Mariners sucking for 5 years and concentrate on development instead of every time a prospect cracks the top 100 they deal them.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ull a Paul Allen and go in another direction once they realized it wasn’t going to work. I am totally cool with the Mariners sucking for 5 years and concentrate on development instead of every time a prospect cracks the top 100 they deal them.quot

624417.jpg

Bryson Brigman 11 SS
Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
divider-420x20.gif

• Full Name: Bryson Michael Brigman
  • Birthplace: San Jose, CA
  • Bats/Throws: R/R Ht: 5' 11" Wt: 180
  • Draft: Round 3 (2016, SEA)
  • School: San Diego
3rd round choice.............................for maybin....?????????...........bad trade...dont need
two heredia's

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a 2nd right hand hitter that can hit hr's with a 260-270 ave that would work.....they did not need maybin who is no better than heredia

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a 2nd right hand hitter that can hit hr's with a 260-270 ave that would work.....they did not need maybin who is no better than heredia

what kind of payroll room are the mariners looking at for adding FAs?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. I am totally cool with the Mariners sucking for 5 years and concentrate on development instead of every time a prospect cracks the top 100 they deal them.

Same, simply because it is a plan to be great down the road. It may not work out but its actually a plan.

There is no hope of this franchise being great and they never have been. They had 1 year of being great in franchise history and even that team wasn't built for the postseason. The plan forever has been to be competitive and hope things break your way.

Any sane boss of an organization would realize you can only have a plan fail so many times before trying something different. Not this franchise though.