• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official JIM CALDWELL/new staff thread

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may have got it wrong but you guys honestly think Mayhew and company didn't put any thought to this? Its reasonable to think that they did like Caldwell a lot but Wiz better. Should they really just pick up certain coordinators because the fans say so? Please. I bet none of us would've had a problem if Wiz brought these guys in.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way. That's on Millen. He ruined players careers by drafting them.

I honestly think Harrington could have been a better QB in a better situation.. I never thought he was elite, but could have been a decent starting QB in the NFL..

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its true Micro. Everyone would be saying how the Lions would be setting offensive and defensive records if Wiz brought these guys in. Dudes would be like, "hell yeah, these dudes must be bad ass." The truth is that nobody knows and the Lions will still be an interesting team to follow come the start of next season because everyone will want to see whats new.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its true Micro. Everyone would be saying how the Lions would be setting offensive and defensive records if Wiz brought these guys in. Dudes would be like, "hell yeah, these dudes must be bad ass." The truth is that nobody knows and the Lions will still be an interesting team to follow come the start of next season because everyone will want to see whats new.

I completely agree. They'd look past the inexperience and say this is what the franchise needs and that Whis will do wonders with em.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean, "you people?"

I use that term when talking with Red Sox fans.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once put thought into shitting on my neighbors front lawn. Doesn't mean it was right.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It goes to show you how bogus people really are. I just read how Mayhew contacted Dungy also, so thats an indication that they were trying. And I'm willing to bet the Lions offense wont be at the bottom of the league like some think.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I once put thought into shitting on my neighbors front lawn. Doesn't mean it was right.

Good thing I wasn't there. I woulda told you that 'you don't have a hair on your ass if you don't'.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually had a good thought on the subject. But when I read 'shitting on my neighbors front lawn', it was as if that thought never existed.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A.) He just coached Nick Foles from relative obscurity to one of the (statistically) greatest seasons an NFL QB has ever produced.

I'd be excited if they brought in Lazor to be the QB coach in Detroit. That isn't what he was hired to do though. He hasn't been an OC in the NFL, so we have an OC with no experience and a coach who is coming off a season where, as an OC, his team ranked in the bottom 5 in basically every offensive category and his QB ranked 32nd in the NFL in QB rating.

B.) He just spent a year learning Chip Kelly's highly effective offense first-hand.

I think it will be helpful that he was able to pick the brain of a guy like Chip Kelly for a year, but I think the reason Kelly's offense is so effective is because of Chip Kelly. He changed everything the players do, from their workouts, all the way down to what they eat, to fit his offensive system. That is what makes it so unique and effective. I just don't see Stafford running a read option any time soon.

C.) I've seen what Jim Caldwell does when he's in charge of an offense, and it's not impressive.

Agree 100%. That is why his choice for OC shocks me. You'd think he would bring in an established OC to call plays and help him come up with game plans. Instead, he hires someone with zero experience in the NFL.

I'm not saying that he would have been my first choice (I would have preferred Ben McAdoo) but I like his recent background and certainly prefer him calling the plays to Caldwell calling the plays.

You'd rather someone with no experience as an OC in the NFL calling the plays over Caldwell? The hire to me screams, Caldwell is calling his own plays and Lazor is basically going to be the QB coach with the OC title in front of his name.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may have got it wrong but you guys honestly think Mayhew and company didn't put any thought to this? Its reasonable to think that they did like Caldwell a lot but Wiz better. Should they really just pick up certain coordinators because the fans say so? Please. I bet none of us would've had a problem if Wiz brought these guys in.

I think they put thought into this. They thought Whisenhunt was going to be their head coach next year, so much so, that they sat back and watched while Lovie Smith went to Tampa, Bill O'Brien went to Houston and Jay Gruden went to Washington. So much so that they had the plane sitting at the airport waiting to pick him up.

Detroit put all their eggs into the Whisenhunt basket and they were left at the altar. So instead of the guy they wanted -- they hired Caldwell, who was going to be fired in Baltimore as the OC, after the team ranked in the bottom 5 in basically every offensive category and their franchise QB ranked 32nd in the NFL for QB rating.

Why rush to hire Caldwell? Why not wait till after the playoffs and talk with Roman, Quinn, Gase? Hell -- even Jim Harbaugh's contract is up at the end of the year. Why not wait it out and talk to them all? Detroit was the ONLY team to interview Caldwell, so it isn't as if they had to worry about him being hired elsewhere.

That is what is so frustrating with all of this. No one even interviewed Caldwell, but Detroit. Isn't that a red flag for anyone else? If there was any hope -- I thought maybe with Caldwell's experience in the NFL -- he'd have some high profile coordinators he could bring in, but instead, it is two guys that have never held these positions at the NFL level.

We can try and spin it anyway we'd like. The hiring is a disappointment. About the only thing we have going is -- The Lions have been wrong so many times hiring the coaches they've wanted -- Maybe this time when they end up with the guy they didn't want, it will actually work out.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hire to me screams, Caldwell is calling his own plays and Lazor is basically going to be the QB coach with the OC title in front of his name.

Quite likely.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly's offense was explosive because of McCoy. He is an every down durable back that is a threat to go every time he touches the ball. As much as I like Bush he is not durable as McCoy or as explosive.

Having that great back will make any QB look better. Foles had a great year and hopefully a lot of that had to do with Lazor but if it means giving him a title and letting Caldwell call the plays no thanks!

I would have liked to have seen Kubiak as OC or Munchak as the line coach. Having someone else with HC experience would definitely make me feel better about this hire.

And thank-you Tony Dungy! Your recommendation don't mean shit! If you wanted to do something you should have taken the job!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's even better when set to a slide show of smiling Lions faces.

media_d334184ea3b44b45b1825b6261ae63d1_t607.jpg

Stafford-smiling.jpg

taste-tom.jpg

nfl_g_jcaldwell_media1_576.jpg

9917042.png

images

:yahoo:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, well... it gets old when the same two or three guys are routinely negative with pretty much everything they post going back to the start of our time here on the hoop. And it's not like I went out of my way after them or anything like that- I posted one thing- one freaking thing- and they both jumped all over my shit right away.

Fuck those guys, they don't need you to feel bad for them.:suds:

More like 2-3 guys who are being positive over these signings.....on cbs there were 700 posts of people laughing at the lions.....yeah sure we ALL believe they wanted caldwell just as much as wiz.....that jet wasnt for wiz.....they didnt ask tony dungy if he wanted the job......cuz they wanted caldwell all along....they were just testing dungy......wonder how many other guys turned em down before caldwell was the last man standing...

When the lions start winning....and beating good teams, maybe these so called negative fans wont be so negative....funny these same negative fans are very positive when talking about the detroit tigers....hard to be positive following a 4-12 season......even tho most of us were down last offseason because of it....we were labeled negative.....then the lions go 6-3 and some fans acted like we won the super bowl....now after an epic collapse i believe the lions havent earned any positive threads.....hell even reggie bush stated he felt our pain and understands our anger.....its professional sports...you get paid millions to perform....and when you constantly suck, you have to put up with the back lash.....

And this negative fan DID nail the 7-9 prediction....wished i was wrong, but unfortunately i know my lions...same old......

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions fans should worry about this hire. I know that many were quietly hoping that they would get Ken Whisenhunt and when that didn't transpire certainly not Caldwell. There is great uncertainty in Lions land, the fans feel snookered and are asking what's next? I wonder how many of these fans would NOT be surprised if say for instance the team followed this hire with a trade of Megatron for a unknown player and a 4th round draft pick. Dumb as that sounds, this is how badly they feel about the Caldwell hire.