• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official JIM CALDWELL/new staff thread

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'm both negative and positive about this team and I've been saying since the end of the season thst there's no more excuses with this team. The problem here Is that all the Lions fans are angry and we all honestly believe that we know more than these guys. Everybody in here was kissing Wisenhunts ass and end then he turned his back for more money and a better location. That's not Mayhew's at all.

Now, every fan has their suggestions about who should be doing what and base all their info off last seasons stats. The fans kept asking for this shit and now everyone is pissed. I've seen several people admit that this wasnt the ideal situation, but they will at least see what happens next. That should be the approach.

Not making any excuses, but the Ravens did lose Boldin to another team, Pitta and Jones were hurt and teams simply took Rice away, leaving Torrey Smith, a #2 Wr to do everything. Thats probably a few factors to why the offense struggled. And, did anyone care to look up some info about first-time Coordinators? Last years guys did pretty good despite the fact that they didnt have any experience. Go look it up.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody in here was kissing Wisenhunts ass and end then he turned his back for more money and a better location. That's not Mayhew's at all.

It should say -- everybody was excited about the Lions bringing in Whisenhunt, as he has worked with QBs at all different levels of their NFL career and made them play extremely well. He had the youngster in Rothlesberger, he had the aging Vet everyone pretty much gave up on in Kurt Warner and he turned Rivers around in one season.

That is why everyone was excited about bringing him on. If the Lions correct Stafford's issues, the team will be a playoff squad. Stafford played unreal for 9 weeks this season, the Lions were 6-3. Stafford played god awful for 7 weeks, the Lions were 1-6.

The problem is -- The Lions were so sure they were going to get their guy, it became a foregone conclusion Whisenhunt would be the coach. They didn't even interview guys like Lovie Smith, Bill O'Brien, Jay Gruden, etc. They sat back and watched as they signed on with other teams while they waited for Whisenhunt.

Only problem is -- Tennessee offered him more money and you only get the chance to a head coach so many times, so money talks and he signed with the Titans. Instead of waiting it out and interviewing all of the possible candidate left on teams still in the playoffs -- they make a snap judgement and hire Caldwell. Caldwell was going NOWHERE. He didn't interview for any other open position. Why not really due their due dillegence and interview all the possible candidates (Roman, Quinn, Gase, even Harbaugh's contract is up at the end of the year).

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys know you cant have it both ways. You cant have someone with NFL HC experience who did not fail at one time or another. And viceversa, you cant have a guy with no playcalling experience for an OC that didn't fail at some point.

A Successful college HC could have been given a shot, but that can be a crapshoot too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should say -- everybody was excited about the Lions bringing in Whisenhunt, as he has worked with QBs at all different levels of their NFL career and made them play extremely well. He had the youngster in Rothlesberger, he had the aging Vet everyone pretty much gave up on in Kurt Warner and he turned Rivers around in one season.

That is why everyone was excited about bringing him on. If the Lions correct Stafford's issues, the team will be a playoff squad. Stafford played unreal for 9 weeks this season, the Lions were 6-3. Stafford played god awful for 7 weeks, the Lions were 1-6.

The problem is -- The Lions were so sure they were going to get their guy, it became a foregone conclusion Whisenhunt would be the coach. They didn't even interview guys like Lovie Smith, Bill O'Brien, Jay Gruden, etc. They sat back and watched as they signed on with other teams while they waited for Whisenhunt.

Only problem is -- Tennessee offered him more money and you only get the chance to a head coach so many times, so money talks and he signed with the Titans. Instead of waiting it out and interviewing all of the possible candidate left on teams still in the playoffs -- they make a snap judgement and hire Caldwell. Caldwell was going NOWHERE. He didn't interview for any other open position. Why not really due their due dillegence and interview all the possible candidates (Roman, Quinn, Gase, even Harbaugh's contract is up at the end of the year).

:10: - Not to mention the arrogant public bragging! "We're the BEST job out there!" oops.

For me one thing this off season will make or break this hire. Does Suh resign long term? If yes, awesome. This hire looks a lot better. If no, then this is a colossal bust hire that costs us our MVP.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me an over reaction is turning n your season tickets!

Saying you will never watch this team again.

Boycotting Ford vehicles.

Going nuclear and letting it ruin your day.

Being critical and criticizing the Lions for what is perceived as a bad move is a fans right. Especially fans that have been following this team longer than Mayhew, Millen, and Thomas have been calling the shots. It was fans criticisms that helped get Millen canned. It pushed Schwartz out. So call it over reaction if you want I see it as getting pissed the Lions go SOL.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasnt that excited because the reality of it was that Ken had different teams that were interested and it was very possible thst he would choose one of them over the Lions. I knew we weren't going to get him. How does anyone here know what actually happened between Ken and the Lions, except for what the media has said? I think its possible that they did think they had him UNTIL Tenn stepped in and stole him. Didnt Tenn interview him AFTER the Lions? I can see how that would change things.

You say that the Lions should've waited for more options? Thats unrealistic because each team has a set of guys that they like and that's who they're going to choose from. I say the Lions had a list of about 5 guys. If they liked Caldwell well enough then it was the right thing to do to sign him quickly over other guys that might not even fit or be interested in the job.

Like I said, there's reason to be upset but its not as bad as people are saying. NFL talking heads think its a great hire from what im seeing.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really dude?! The fact that he came back and won that KC game doesn't impress the hell out of you? Tough crowd man, lol.

The fact that he took a 2 win team to back-to-back 10+ win seasons and already has a playoff victory in just his second year is damn impressive, too, imo. The guy is just a gamer, he wins games. He's the next great NFL QB in my opinion for sure.

Amen to the title of this thread, btw!

Luck does not catch it, tackle , block... I hate the accolades or all his fault for losing and winning QB's get.
Eli gets credit for winning a SB on a great catch after a horrific throw. Anyone forget that defense stopped a elite offense the hole game.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew we weren't going to get him. How does anyone here know what actually happened between Ken and the Lions, except for what the media has said?

This sounds like "I know stuff but you guys don't."

It's over. People are disappointed and no amount of debate will stop that. Just win baby! That's all that can fix this. Just win.

We should start talking about the draft again. We can probably forget about Mack and/or Barr now. :L

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only problem is -- Tennessee offered him more money and you only get the chance to a head coach so many times, so money talks and he signed with the Titans
I really hope the contract numbers get released because I am beyond curious as to what they are. I am going to bet that the amount was well below that of what we were paying Schwartz. Millenhew the idiot probably tried to make up for the piss poor contract given to Schwartz with a bargain basement offer to the guy they wanted who went elsewhere.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree its a bit of an overreaction. But not by the fans, but by the Lions. They had all the time in the world to step back for a minute and go through a whole new series of interviews with other possibilities. The one day rush to ram Caldwell down our throats is an overwhelming testament to how clueless and imcompetant Millenhew and LewanDUI really are.

Every single aspect of this hiring proves that over and over again. Failing to recognize the opportunity to strike first by firing Schwartz before that last week should have assured them interviews with both O'Brian and Smith. Bragging about it being the best opening out there (when it appears nobody else other than Tony "shut the fuck up" Dungy thinks so), focusing in on basically one guy while just going through the motions otherwise. Looking like a bunch of horses asses with a plane fueled and ready to go get their guy and he doesnt want the job.

I dont recall hearing about a plane fueled up with flight plans to Baltimore that was waiting in a hanger. Why not? They are certainly going to spin it to us that Caldwell was the top choice all along. How many other teams did Caldwell interview with for their job openings? This supremely talented coach didnt seem to generate much interest from teams that arent run by idiots. Why is that?

How does this hiring not scream of Millenesqe stupidity? He drew a nice big fine for interviewing nobody before hiring Mooch. I think the fine was $250k. They shit the bed in a big way. Now we are hearing crap that the 3-4 was an issue? Who is dumb enough to buy that line? Why did we have a plane ready to go get the guy if that was a deal breaker? The Lions are full scale into spin mode because the fans know that they are handing them a new head coach that nobody else wanted, including his current employer who is happy to see him go so they didnt have to fire him.

Come on man. How many teams wanted to talk to O'Brian? How many were linked to interest in Lovie Smith. Gruden and Zimmer were mentioned as guys several teams wanted to take a look at. And how many were rumored to be interested in Jim fucking Caldwell?

I wear my "realist" badge proudly, because its exactly what it says, the fucking reality of the situation. Is it not the "reality" of the situation that Caldwell was nowhere near the top of the wish list. Sell me that he was and I'll recant this entire post and say I was wrong. If you cant do that then welcome to reality, which is that the Lions once again have shown why they are the comic joke of the NFL.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope the contract numbers get released because I am beyond curious as to what they are. I am going to bet that the amount was well below that of what we were paying Schwartz. Millenhew the idiot probably tried to make up for the piss poor contract given to Schwartz with a bargain basement offer to the guy they wanted who went elsewhere.

It should be easy to figure out what the Lions offered Whisenhunt. They are reporting that the Lions offer was a million dollars less per season than what he signed on with Tennessee for.

For a HC -- a million dollars more PER season is a huge amount of money. They can talk about location or the defense or the personnel, etc. If the Lions had offered the same as the Titans -- he'd be the HC of the Lions, IMO.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasnt that excited because the reality of it was that Ken had different teams that were interested and it was very possible thst he would choose one of them over the Lions. I knew we weren't going to get him. How does anyone here know what actually happened between Ken and the Lions, except for what the media has said? I think its possible that they did think they had him UNTIL Tenn stepped in and stole him. Didnt Tenn interview him AFTER the Lions? I can see how that would change things.

You say that the Lions should've waited for more options? Thats unrealistic because each team has a set of guys that they like and that's who they're going to choose from. I say the Lions had a list of about 5 guys. If they liked Caldwell well enough then it was the right thing to do to sign him quickly over other guys that might not even fit or be interested in the job.

Like I said, there's reason to be upset but its not as bad as people are saying. NFL talking heads think its a great hire from what im seeing.

My issue with signing Caldwell so quickly after being shunned by Whisenhunt is.............They didn't have to worry about Caldwell going anywhere. The Lions were the only team to interview him for the HC position.

It is a complete shot in the dark, but Harbaugh isn't under contract for next year with the 49ers. He was born and raised in Michigan. Went to college here. Why not wait and see?!? Crazier things have happened, like Detroit having their jet fueled up to pick up there next coach and he signs on with another team.

I honestly have no clue what to expect next year. Caldwell was going to be fired from his job by Baltimore after an abysmal year as their OC. He wants to be the play caller here in Detroit and hires an OC who has never held the position at the NFL level. I have no problem with the DC hire, as hopefully he can get something out of our weakest spot on the team -- the secondary.

As has been said by a couple on here. There really is nothing we can do about it now. Who knows -- the Lions have been so bad when they hire the guy they want -- maybe ending up with the backup plan will work out better. It did when Calvin Johnson fell into our laps, instead of JaMarcus Russell. I guess we shall see.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again now. Give the guy a chance. Nobody has any clue if he'll work out. So we missed out on getting Whisenhunt. Lets not all pretend Whisenhunt was some kind of football God. We had a poll on who we wanted as the next Lions HC and Whisenhunt got like 15% of the vote. Most of you didn't even want the guy. Now you are pissed we dont have him? Looking at him and Caldwell on paper there is not much of a difference. The key difference that I can see is Caldwell wanted to be here, Wiz didnt. Caldwell has been endorsed by Dungy and Manning. Who has really endorsed Whisenhunt like that? Analysts who actually know these coaches say that Caldwell will be able to improve Stafford, instill some disaprin into this team, and is well respected. Caldwell might be what we need, he might not. But clearly a guy who didnt want to be here, and wanted to run a 3-4 is not going to be any better. Caldwell is our coach, he has done nothing wrong. Give him a chance.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again now. Give the guy a chance. Nobody has any clue if he'll work out. So we missed out on getting Whisenhunt. Lets not all pretend Whisenhunt was some kind of football God. We had a poll on who we wanted as the next Lions HC and Whisenhunt got like 15% of the vote. Most of you didn't even want the guy. Now you are pissed we dont have him? Looking at him and Caldwell on paper there is not much of a difference. The key difference that I can see is Caldwell wanted to be here, Wiz didnt. Caldwell has been endorsed by Dungy and Manning. Who has really endorsed Whisenhunt like that? Analysts who actually know these coaches say that Caldwell will be able to improve Stafford, instill some disaprin into this team, and is well respected. Caldwell might be what we need, he might not. But clearly a guy who didnt want to be here, and wanted to run a 3-4 is not going to be any better. Caldwell is our coach, he has done nothing wrong. Give him a chance.

What percentage did caldwell receive? I believe he wasnt even on the ballot even tho he was our 1-B choice behind 1-A choice wiz....did anyone even mention him?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Analysts like who? Steven a smith and skip bayless? I seen that today too.....hard to take steven a smith serious when race is always an issue....i notice he dogged wiz because he won with warner, but once warner left, he lost.....but didnt bring up what caldwell did once manning left....

One good thing i hope is that he starts by putting his foot down and lays down the law of discipline..

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Analysts like who? Steven a smith and skip bayless? I seen that today too.....hard to take steven a smith serious when race is always an issue....i notice he dogged wiz because he won with warner, but once warner left, he lost.....but didnt bring up what caldwell did once manning left....

One good thing i hope is that he starts by putting his foot down and lays down the law of discipline..

Every analysts I have read on ESPN, BR, NFL.com, NFL network, cbs, pft, and others have said this is a good hire. Other than the Lions pursuing Whiz first nothing really indicates Caldwell is a bad hire. He has had success with QB's, and the Colts.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every analysts I have read on ESPN, BR, NFL.com, NFL network, cbs, pft, and others have said this is a good hire. Other than the Lions pursuing Whiz first nothing really indicates Caldwell is a bad hire. He has had success with QB's, and the Colts.

Kinda done caring what the media tells us. Just win baby!

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda done caring what the media tells us. Just win baby!

All I have been saying is that we (Lions fans) should give him a chance before hating and saying he failed and that he is a bad choice. He hasn't lost one game, or made any mistakes or anything else.