• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official JIM CALDWELL/new staff thread

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gets credit for the superbowl win? How bout the whole team? Head coach? All the coaches? A lil luck? A hot streak? Alot goes into making a run like that
Exactly. So, hear me out….

The entire team gets credit for a SB run/win. However, only Caldwell is being blamed and chastised for the year they had this year. Why not place blame equally on everyone's shoulders if it's gonna be that way for a SB win? A lot goes into a year like that as well. Losing key figures to FA, losing key figures to injury, players not performing at the levels they had previously, etc. If that was the case, Caldwell wouldn't be getting so much hate on this board. Can't have it both ways.

So why are people hating on Caldwell leading the 29th ranked offense(total yards) last year, with rumors of being fired, but find it ok to hire a guy that 2 years ago lead the 32nd ranked offense(total yards) AND being fired? Did that one year in SD suddenly make him a demigod? Who's to say Caldwell can't make a "turnaround" in Detroit?

All I'm saying is maybe people need to relax and give the guy a chance. If we're giving credit to the entire team for Baltimore's SB win, then Caldwell deserves some of that as he called the plays that helped make that run. He also had success in Indy. Yes, he's had some questionable years as well, but so has Whisenhunt(the man everyone was clamoring for).

If it's not the coach that is the problem but the search itself, well who's to say Detroit didn't do their due diligence with the candidates? They had an extensive interview with Caldwell. I personally won't call landing Caldwell "settling". Sure, it seems they wanted Whis #1, but things don't always go the way we want. In the end, Whis was offered more money, a better climate, and the chance to use his own defense. I think it was good that they actually had that extensive interview with Caldwell so they had a solid #2 choice. Not having one and hiring some Joe Schmoe would've been a reactionary move.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've turned my frown upside down. I'm ready for the Caldwell era and I'll be at the home opener! STRONG!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about their whole OLine. But Michael Oher sucks, BIGTIME. (Just saw Lone Survivor, I wish it wasn't real.). 40.6 run-59.4 pass for the Ravens in 2013. (Lions 41.24 run- 58.76 pass, we ran 37 more plays total.) 2012 Ravens 44.22run- 55.78pass. (Detroit had 34.57run, lowest % in the NFL)

Thanks for investigating Smitty, as for the stats I also say thanks. Stats are real, just don't always tell the hole truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No wonder Columbus never made it to India. The Spanish queen wouldn't part with the Enterprise.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peoples opinions are always correct. Truly my post had nothing to do with right or wrong. More to do with how much this transition is affecting you. Fuck I guess I should have also added Prilosec to that script for the ulcers.

What is actually more hiliarious than your anger towards this franchise. Is the fact I will see you at the home opener spending hard earned cash on this product you loathe so much.

Let's be clear here, I do not loathe this franchise. Nor do I loathe Jim Caldwell. I do have very strong feelings about the clueless fucks leading this team. There was no reason for a rush to snag Caldwell, the Lions could have, and should have waited and done their proper due dilligence by talking with guys like Roman, Quin, and maybe even a college coach.

If after that was done they decide Caldwell is the guy then so be it, at least we would have made a truly informed decision. But we didn't do that. From that perspective when Ford is flapping his geezer gums about the great job the clown show did and the extensive search they performed I want to hit the old fuck upside the head with a bottle of his Metamucil.

Some may think that Millenhew and LewanDUI have done a good job, I think they are atrocious and an embarrassment to the franchise, much like the owner. We haven't won under their leadership, in fact we've sucked. In a league where winning is the only thing that matters there isn't another team where these assclowns would still have jobs, and when they finally are gone they won't work again in the NFL. There are only good enough for the Lions.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew's back was up against the wall. Junior told him win or else, so out of the guys remaining Caldwell gave Mayhew the best chance to win and keep his job.

Zimmer, Gase, Quinn, Gruden, and Roman may be good head coaches but they probably need a year or two to learn the ins and outs of being the head guy. Mayhew doesn't have that luxury so he went with who gives the Lions the best chance next year but maybe not the best long term solution.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be clear here, I do not loathe this franchise. Nor do I loathe Jim Caldwell. I do have very strong feelings about the clueless fucks leading this team. There was no reason for a rush to snag Caldwell, the Lions could have, and should have waited and done their proper due dilligence by talking with guys like Roman, Quin, and maybe even a college coach.

If after that was done they decide Caldwell is the guy then so be it, at least we would have made a truly informed decision. But we didn't do that. From that perspective when Ford is flapping his geezer gums about the great job the clown show did and the extensive search they performed I want to hit the old fuck upside the head with a bottle of his Metamucil.

Some may think that Millenhew and LewanDUI have done a good job, I think they are atrocious and an embarrassment to the franchise, much like the owner. We haven't won under their leadership, in fact we've sucked. In a league where winning is the only thing that matters there isn't another team where these assclowns would still have jobs, and when they finally are gone they won't work again in the NFL. There are only good enough for the Lions.

If you're going to be upset about the coaching search process then I would think you'd be upset regardless of whether Whisenhunt got hired or not. If they didn't interview enough candidates then they didn't interview enough candidates. I'm not sure how not getting Whisenhunt should change the process. After seeming to wait for Whisenhunt and not getting him, do you have any idea how moronic they look if they then open up the process again? Even more so, how stupid do they look after they interview another 4 guys then go right back to the very first interview weeks earlier? You're basically saying our front office is stupid and I need them to be more fucking stupid!! At the end of the day we can all speculate that they didn't get their guy, that Whisenhunt would have been offered the job had he gotten on that plane. But we don't really know that. What we do know is if Whisenhunt was the first choice, they knew who their second choice was and moved to lock him up. At least this way they can spin it so they got their man, if they open back up the search then there's no way to spin it and they likely end up in the same place. I don't see anything foolish in that at all.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew's back was up against the wall. Junior told him win or else, so out of the guys remaining Caldwell gave Mayhew the best chance to win and keep his job.

Zimmer, Gase, Quinn, Gruden, and Roman may be good head coaches but they probably need a year or two to learn the ins and outs of being the head guy. Mayhew doesn't have that luxury so he went with who gives the Lions the best chance next year but maybe not the best long term solution.

It's a shame that people just completely discount the idea that they actually liked Caldwell. I'm not even saying that they liked him better than Whisenhunt, but actually liked him enough to think he might be a long term solution. I mean it seems pretty clear what happened here. They had 2 guys that they really liked, one likely a little more than the other. The close second had an indepth interview while the first choice had a much shorter interview while his attention was elsewhere. I know it's more fun and certainly more Lionlike to think the plane was on the runway to get the new coach when what made far more sense is that they were picking up their top candidate for a more thorough interview with the likelihood that he would be offered the job. He never got on the plane so they quickly went with the other candidate. No, Mayhew didn't hire Caldwell to ssave face or because his back was against the wall. No, Mayhew didn't need to open back up the process. Mayhew made the only choice he could, go with the presumed second choice, someone who they seem to be very comfortable in hiring. I know it's just easier to think the Lions' brass were morons again but if you look at it objectively the scene painted on these boards doesn't make sense even for bad business people. "Yeah, lets get the plane ready for a guy we haven't offered the job to". In what world does that make sense?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, with the Lions knack for making the wrong move maybe Whisenhunt did us a favor by making himself unavailable.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. I feel like a sucker, falling right into the media trap during this whole process, 100% believing that Wis was the guy they wanted, and fumbled away. After hearing the presser and trusting that these are honest men, I now feel like I was wrong. I let the media guide my emotions and I'm a fool for letting it happen just because it was something I wanted (at the time). The more I hear and read about Caldwell from Caldwell, from the Lions (and not the media) the more I like him.

My question to you is - is it possible we are in the same boat here? Those guys you name don't fit the profile Mayhew and Lewand wanted when they first started this process. But their 1st interview and eventual hire does. So maybe the media was wrong all along and we were dumb for listening to them? I don't know if Caldwell will work out or not, but it does sound like he is the guy the Lions wanted.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, with the Lions knack for making the wrong move maybe Whisenhunt did us a favor by making himself unavailable.

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner. That is exactly what I've been saying. Detroit for years have hired 'their guy' and it has got them nowhere. Caldwell will probably come in and be the best coach we've had in decades.

Same goes for losing Lazor to the Dolphins. Whoever takes over will probably end up being the best OC we've had in a long time.

That being said -- I think the problem many have with Caldwell being hired so quickly is the fact, no team, other than the Lions, even brought him in for an interview. Unless he completely blew them away in the interview and was their top choice -- waiting and interviewing the other possible candidates wouldn't have done any harm.

As RobBase has been saying -- I've actually swayed toward the Caldwell camp. I still am not thrilled with the hire, but he has said all the right things and seems to have the qualities the team needs to get over the hump. Whether that makes them a better team next year, remains to be senn. That is what makes next year a very interesting season to watch though.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caldwell said the right things.......I'm not convinced Lewland and Mayhew did........I saw Lewland pull out a piece of paper that he said things they were looking for.....Flashed it for the camera then hid it quickly.....It had hole punches in it. Dear lord.....Make that piece of paper public Tom, let us see what you knew and what the criteria was for hiring a coach......Too Shady for me.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so muzz. They said from the day they let Schwartz go what they were looking for. They stuck to it.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so muzz. They said from the day they let Schwartz go what they were looking for. They stuck to it.

There's your problem....You say "They" They could mean anyone........I saw Lewland hide that paper with hole punches in it. I would love to see what was written on it....Probably a grocery list.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who's been out of his mind excited all day aboot Ron Prince coaching our TE's? (He's a big fan of JuCo guys. Only direction to go is up. If Pettigrew stays. Otherwise we don't have an actual TE on the roster.)

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who's been out of his mind excited all day aboot Ron Prince coaching our TE's? (He's a big fan of JuCo guys. Only direction to go is up. If Pettigrew stays. Otherwise we don't have an actual TE on the roster.)

Finally making a UDFA HOFer in Motown, sweeeeeeet.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ron Prince can teach Joe Fauria to block, Lewands tab is on me.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ron Prince can teach Joe Fauria to block, Lewands tab is on me.

You live in a cardboard box, how are you picking up tabs for a GM? MY bad its LewlanDUI and it only takes a dollar on girls night.

Same Ole Lions.