• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official JIM CALDWELL/new staff thread

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to believe, I really do.

Nothing I've seen makes me believe........Caldwell had a great interview, I will admit that.......Same Ole Lions, Selling me a bunch of goods that I don't want.......I feel sorry for Meow, that guy has season tickets.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Lions let Caldwell know they were interested in him before they brought him in for an interview. Unless I want to believe he broke down film on every QB in the league, which I seriously doubt.

But it's nice to know he's willing to do the work.

Also, the Lions don't have to have the best head coach in the league. An improvement over Schwartz should be enough. Especially when you couple that with MEGA improvement in the OC, which is a given since Linehan is the Matt Millen of OCs.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner. That is exactly what I've been saying. Detroit for years have hired 'their guy' and it has got them nowhere. Caldwell will probably come in and be the best coach we've had in decades.

Same goes for losing Lazor to the Dolphins. Whoever takes over will probably end up being the best OC we've had in a long time.

That being said -- I think the problem many have with Caldwell being hired so quickly is the fact, no team, other than the Lions, even brought him in for an interview. Unless he completely blew them away in the interview and was their top choice -- waiting and interviewing the other possible candidates wouldn't have done any harm.

As RobBase has been saying -- I've actually swayed toward the Caldwell camp. I still am not thrilled with the hire, but he has said all the right things and seems to have the qualities the team needs to get over the hump. Whether that makes them a better team next year, remains to be senn. That is what makes next year a very interesting season to watch though.

I think Tennessee also interviewed Caldwell. Looks like they were looking for the same things as we were. I'm also in the Caldwell camp now. I didn't like the hire but it really doesn't matter if I like it. He's now our coach and I can be miserable about it or I can hope he's the guy and get behind him until he gives me reasons not to be. If you still are allowing yourself to be upset about this hire then you might just be angry in general!!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the Lions let Caldwell know they were interested in him before they brought him in for an interview. Unless I want to believe he broke down film on every QB in the league, which I seriously doubt.

But it's nice to know he's willing to do the work.

Also, the Lions don't have to have the best head coach in the league. An improvement over Schwartz should be enough. Especially when you couple that with MEGA improvement in the OC, which is a given since Linehan is the Matt Millen of OCs.

Millenihan?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was angry for a split second, and even though it was only a split second, I would like to point out that that's nearly an eternity for an android.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millenihan?

The one and only. At least the one and only who's earned it.

Mayhew is still alright in my book. But that's probably because I thought Millen was going to be there for life. It sure seemed like it.

I know if Millen had blown the CJ pick, I'd be rooting for Delmas to break the big freak in half.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think people realize how bad Fauria's blocking is not going to happen

Nope. People saw that he caught TDs. But not much was made from the lack of a run game when JF was asked to actually play his position. (63 yards rushing week 17 for B&B for example.). Ron Prince more than has his work cut out for him, if BP's gone.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. People saw that he caught TDs. But not much was made from the lack of a run game when JF was asked to actually play his position. (63 yards rushing week 17 for B&B for example.). Ron Prince more than has his work cut out for him, if BP's gone.

I actually was not even referring to JF. It was the UDFA from a JUCO this year. Fauria is hopeless as a complete TE. Need to see what Williams can do next year? I did see more than just seven TD catches.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually was not even referring to JF. It was the UDFA from a JUCO this year. Fauria is hopeless as a complete TE. Need to see what Williams can do next year? I did see more than just seven TD catches.

I thought you were making a vague reference to future JuCo TEs. Wasn't trying to imply anything directed at you Gandy. Im beginning to build momentum towards my "Resign BP or be prepared to draft another 1st round TE, or be prepared to see Ravens style offensive production" phase. You think the new guys will be interested in Williams still?

Last edited by a moderator:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scheff had all the Kalamazoo women, he's just moving on now. I don't like it, just stating it.:suds:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you were making a vague reference to future JuCo TEs. Wasn't trying to imply anything directed at you Gandy. Im beginning to build momentum towards my "Resign BP or be prepared to draft another 1st round TE, or be prepared to see Ravens style offensive production" phase. You think the new guys will be interested in Williams still?

While I think BP has peaked. Of course I was on the I hate Levy train last year. This fucking crow is chewy but not gamee flavored. BP is still best option IMO at the present time. Not sure what will happen with Mike. He is really a unknown. I would hope they look at him before bringing in Dallas Clark...LOL

With Linehan gone we could see more 2 TE sets and use JF as route runner TE. Kid is fucking slow but does get open.

I just hope the new guys can convince Mayhew not to sign Jaguars castoffs!!

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gandydancer;4405819 I just hope the new guys can convince Mayhew not to sign Jaguars castoffs!![/QUOTE said:
Except Denard Robinson ofcourse.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's becoming apparent that Caldwell is going to be the actual OC of this team, and that whomever is hired under that title will simply be his puppet/clip-board holder.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Denard Robinson ofcourse.

You did say he would thrive once he was on a good team. How or why would that put him on the Lions? Do you consider them a good team?

I consider them a talented team. Just seems nobody can put a puzzle together. I am not sure Caldwell is that guy. On his big discipline front, I need to see him pull a starter or bench a guy for qtr. to show me his a disciplinarian. Pulling the Willie Young's of the roster won't cut it.

I do feel he will be available sooner than later. Seems Gus Gus was using Ace Sanders in that X factor role last season. Although DRob was incorparated more late in season.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's becoming apparent that Caldwell is going to be the actual OC of this team, and that whomever is hired under that title will simply be his puppet/clip-board holder.

:agree::10: Then I ask myself what guy is going to take that title? KNowing full well, any success will be hammered by talking heads that Caldwell was signal caller. Almost as if it that dead job with no chance of a promotion.

Also makes me ask the question the of QB coach. Does he actually work with STafford or is it all Caldwell doing 3 jobs???

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stated in another post. Until he benches or pulls players from games for stupid mistakes it is just idle talk. do like the stats you found though. Pulling Willie Young after he does what Willie does would be good start. Pulling a Suh or Bush or even Stafford for a series would surley send the message.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Will be the best QB coach available getting a title promotion to get them away from their current team.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all rhetoric until we see how this team responds!

I am tired of coach speak we have gotten nothing but sunshine blown up are asses and told the Lions are primed to win with all their talent. Short of Bill Cohwer or Tony Dungy I will take a wait and see approach as even the guys with the best intentions have had their success sucked out of them by this current group.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What troubles me most about it is that when an offensive HC undertakes play calling duties, he ought be sure that he has someone running the defense who has been there before and knows what he's doing. An experienced head coach of the defense. Caldwell did the opposite and hired a first timer.