• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official JIM CALDWELL/new staff thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why Terryl Austin can be a good DC pick. If he brings Sheriden from TB as an assistant/LB coach we would actually have some pretty good defensive minds at each level. Austin for the DBs and Sheriden for the LBs alonf with Washburn have all had success in those areas.

Still not a fan of the wide 9. On 3rd and long its fine.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we have to disagree about rice.....hes 26.....had 4 straight 1000 yd seasons averaging over 4 a carry every time, while averaging 60 rec a yr for his career.....he had one bad year....wow....i think he had like 200 att this year....id take ray rice on my team.....just last yr he helped win a superbowl....

Got to agree with Cleaves here. Once Jones and Pitta went out early and Boldin traded, he was Flacco's 3rd down security. Flacco had had no one left for teams to respect. Torrey Smith never stepped up for Boldin. Ravens played very short game. Teams put 8 and 9 in box and and stopped Rice behind a very weak OL.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give Rice a mulligan also.. It's not like he's 30+, so maybe last year was a fluke.. Defenses had the green light to load up against him last year..

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to agree with Cleaves here. Once Jones and Pitta went out early and Boldin traded, he was Flacco's 3rd down security. Flacco had had no one left for teams to respect. Torrey Smith never stepped up for Boldin
Then does that make Torrey a bum? B/c he said both Torrey and Rice were no bums. If they were putting 8 men in the box to stop Rice and co., then that would leave single coverage most of the time for Smith. I would expect more than 65 catches and 4TDs with those looks.

So if they're both "not bums", does that mean Flacco was the weak link? B/c cleaves also tried saying "we" will then try and say Flacco sucked and compared him to Brady saying it doesn't matter if Brady has WRs go down etc etc. I for one don't think Flacco is that great of a QB, never claimed he was. So who gets the credit for the SB last year and the almost playoff year this year? Rice? Torrey? Pitta? Flacco? Caldwell?

My entire point has always been that Caldwell took over the play-calling near the end of '12 which helped propel their SB run. He then had to deal with injuries and loss of stars but still maintained a .500 record and just missed the playoffs. What would've happened had he been able to retain Boldin and {Pitta never gets hurt? I'd like to think he would've done a bit better and we wouldn't be so down on Jim Caldwell.

Let's not forget Ken Whisenhunt, the guy everyone was clamoring for, has a career HC record under .500 and the year before being hired by SD, he lead the league's worst offensive team. Yet SD believed enough in him to resurrect Rivers' career and land a HC gig a year later. j/s

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean, "you people?".....................Blazing Saddles, Camp Town Ladies - YouTube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2W1lK7P-I"]
2Q==
► 2:09► 2:09
[/ame]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2W1lK7P-Ihttps://www.google.com/search?sourc...4GGHP_enUS487US488&q=Blazin'+Saddles+youtube#

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give Rice a mulligan also.. It's not like he's 30+, so maybe last year was a fluke.. Defenses had the green light to load up against him last year..
Maybe he isn't a bum, per se. He did have an injured hip throughout the entire year which he claims hampered his season/production. Maybe he's just saying that to cover his ass.

However, he also said he's considering retirement in another 3 years, so maybe he knows he doesn't have much left in the tank? :noidea:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasnt that excited because the reality of it was that Ken had different teams that were interested and it was very possible thst he would choose one of them over the Lions. I knew we weren't going to get him. How does anyone here know what actually happened between Ken and the Lions, except for what the media has said? I think its possible that they did think they had him UNTIL Tenn stepped in and stole him. Didnt Tenn interview him AFTER the Lions? I can see how that would change things.

You say that the Lions should've waited for more options? Thats unrealistic because each team has a set of guys that they like and that's who they're going to choose from. I say the Lions had a list of about 5 guys. If they liked Caldwell well enough then it was the right thing to do to sign him quickly over other guys that might not even fit or be interested in the job.

Like I said, there's reason to be upset but its not as bad as people are saying. NFL talking heads think its a great hire from what im seeing.
How did you know we were gonna get him?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing Caldwell talk about discipline and I hear others say this will be a more disciplined team.

So I am going to look into his track record as a head coach.

2009: 2nd fewest penalties in the NFL
2010: 3rd fewest penalties in the NFL
2011: 2nd fewest penalties in the NFL

Penalties are good.

2009: tied for 2nd fewest fines in the NFL.
2010: tied for 2nd fewest fines in the NFL.
2011: tied for 1st with 0 fines.

During his tenure there were 7 arrests. Noone more than once and most didn't stay on the team.
Would Team President arrests count against Caldwell?

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess there are about as many guys interested in the OC job as the HC job. I would have thought that with the offensive weapons on this team that there would be a lot of quality candidates interested in the OC opening. Instead we are hearing names of guys you have to Google for info because no one has ever heard of them.

Improved discipline or not that doesn't change the fact that Millenhew has given us the offensive guru that Indy did want around to work with their #1 overall pick (but he's good enough to work with ours in the opinion of our world class idiot of a GM), that led his team last year to the stellar 29th ranking when he called the plays, and who would have no job at all if he wasn't now our Head fucking Coach!!! :wtf2:

So with that stellar resume Caldwell plans to call the plays here and apparently hire a mannequin dressed in Lions gear and an unplugged headset that will be strategically placed on the sidelines during games to be our OC. Awesome!! Just awesome!! This just gets better every day. Can't wait to see what happens next. :L

I can only wonder who the coach might be if we had a real GM like Xander's leading the search instead of the complete asshat we have in Millenhew. :scratch:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then does that make Torrey a bum? B/c he said both Torrey and Rice were no bums. If they were putting 8 men in the box to stop Rice and co., then that would leave single coverage most of the time for Smith. I would expect more than 65 catches and 4TDs with those looks.

So if they're both "not bums", does that mean Flacco was the weak link? B/c cleaves also tried saying "we" will then try and say Flacco sucked and compared him to Brady saying it doesn't matter if Brady has WRs go down etc etc. I for one don't think Flacco is that great of a QB, never claimed he was. So who gets the credit for the SB last year and the almost playoff year this year? Rice? Torrey? Pitta? Flacco? Caldwell?

Torrey was no stud as the #1 guy. 65 seems to be low number. What was there run/pass ratio?? I will say after one down year, Rice is not a bum. Torrey was just a deep threat when Boldin was there. Never really #1 material to me.

Was the OL a weak link?? Making Rice and Flacco look bad? Flacco is not elite. To answer your question of who gets the credit. Yep to all of them. Team sport never one by one guy.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess there are about as many guys interested in the OC job as the HC job. I would have thought that with the offensive weapons on this team that there would be a lot of quality candidates interested in the OC opening. Instead we are hearing names of guys you have to Google for info because no one has ever heard of them.

Improved discipline or not that doesn't change the fact that Millenhew has given us the offensive guru that Indy did want around to work with their #1 overall pick (but he's good enough to work with ours in the opinion of our world class idiot of a GM), that led his team last year to the stellar 29th ranking when he called the plays, and who would have no job at all if he wasn't now our Head fucking Coach!!! :wtf2:

So with that stellar resume Caldwell plans to call the plays here and apparently hire a mannequin dressed in Lions gear and an unplugged headset that will be strategically placed on the sidelines during games to be our OC. Awesome!! Just awesome!! This just gets better every day. Can't wait to see what happens next. :L

I can only wonder who the coach might be if we had a real GM like Xander's leading the search instead of the complete asshat we have in Millenhew. :scratch:

500mg prozac 2X daily...
Remove all blunt force and shiny objects and rope from your residence.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torrey was no stud as the #1 guy. 65 seems to be low number. What was there run/pass ratio?? I will say after one down year, Rice is not a bum. Torrey was just a deep threat when Boldin was there. Never really #1 material to me.

Was the OL a weak link?? Making Rice and Flacco look bad? Flacco is not elite. To answer your question of who gets the credit. Yep to all of them. Team sport never one by one guy.

Not sure about their whole OLine. But Michael Oher sucks, BIGTIME. (Just saw Lone Survivor, I wish it wasn't real.). 40.6 run-59.4 pass for the Ravens in 2013. (Lions 41.24 run- 58.76 pass, we ran 37 more plays total.) 2012 Ravens 44.22run- 55.78pass. (Detroit had 34.57run, lowest % in the NFL)

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My entire point has always been that Caldwell took over the play-calling near the end of '12 which helped propel their SB run. He then had to deal with injuries and loss of stars but still maintained a .500 record and just missed the playoffs. What would've happened had he been able to retain Boldin and {Pitta never gets hurt? I'd like to think he would've done a bit better and we wouldn't be so down on Jim Caldwell.

Let's not forget Ken Whisenhunt, the guy everyone was clamoring for, has a career HC record under .500 and the year before being hired by SD, he lead the league's worst offensive team. Yet SD believed enough in him to resurrect Rivers' career and land a HC gig a year later. j/s

I dont believe smith is a bum at all....id love for him to be the lions number 2....is he elite? No.....but hes far from a bum....he had more receiving yards a game then fitzgerald, colston, and welker...

Who gets credit for the superbowl win? How bout the whole team? Head coach? All the coaches? A lil luck? A hot streak? Alot goes into making a run like that....but if caldwell was so great, his system wouldve suceeded with the injuries and losses this year....lets not crown pitta the next tony gonzalez...hes solid but cmon...green bay players stepped in and held it down.....brady goes thru WR's and still suceeds...russell wilson doesnt have stud recievers but does what it takes to win....or just look what andy reid did with the chiefs...great systems keep chugging along regardless....so to say baltimore sucked this year because of a few injuries or losses falls back on the system in my eyes...as long as it isnt the QB, which is a huge injury.....outside of calvin i dont see a WR in the game who if got hurt would bury a team.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torrey and Rice are good players, Flacco is a game manager like Alex Smith.....Without weapons, game Managers suck at QB......Therefore Flacco sucked.....

Maybe next year Flacco will have more weapons and become elite again......

Stafford has one guy to throw too......He sucks because of that, Give him 3 and he's a stud.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
500mg prozac 2X daily...
Remove all blunt force and shiny objects and rope from your residence.

Before I start on the meds you suggested would you please point out what part of my post was in any way incorrect? :noidea:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I start on the meds you suggested would you please point out what part of my post was in any way incorrect? :noidea:

Peoples opinions are always correct. Truly my post had nothing to do with right or wrong. More to do with how much this transition is affecting you. Fuck I guess I should have also added Prilosec to that script for the ulcers.

What is actually more hiliarious than your anger towards this franchise. Is the fact I will see you at the home opener spending hard earned cash on this product you loathe so much.