• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official JIM CALDWELL/new staff thread

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he did ok at Indy, but that wasn't really his team. He was part of a staff and slid into the interim post. Wake Forest was his baby from the moment he was hired, just as the Lions is now.

Does that mean any success in Detroit is because of Schwartz?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think calling him an embarrassment is a bit harsh. It definitely was an underwhelming hire, as the Lions were the only team in the NFL to even bring Caldwell in for an interview. Obviously, all the other teams in the NFL felt Caldwell wasn't even worth bringing in to interview, so that raises a red flag to me.

I still stand by my statement I made earlier though -- For years, Detroit has hired the guy they wanted and they have failed miserably. This year -- the guy they wanted left them at the altar and they had to go to the plan B. Plan B (Caldwell) will probably end up being the best coach the Lions have had in decades, because he wasn't the first choice of the front office.

Didn't call him an embarrassment.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't say he doesn't find success consistently. We all have our goals on this board. He achieves his. Can most people say that? I don't think so.

You guys talking about me again?

Not sure I ever called Warford a bust for not starting the first pre-season game.....I'm pretty sure I stated something about him not starting the 3rd pre-season game because that is the dress rehearsal for opening day.....Not sure I used the word bust...(probably did)

Maybe it was the ineptness of the coaching staff all alone.....So Warford wasn't the bust but Schwartz and Linehan were by not starting the guy? Just a thought. Warford is still on the team while the guys responsible for who starts and who doesn't arn't.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that mean any success in Detroit is because of Schwartz?

Of course not. Not sure I get the analogy. Schwartz didn't have much success in the first place. Caldwell is starting over with his own staff, his own schemes, his own philosophies, his own rules. Any success enjoyed by the Lions will be his, just like any success at Purdue would have been his...if he had had any.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, all I can do is just laugh at you guys! I'm pretty even about how I feel about the hire but I won't sit here and act like I know whay will happen. Lol

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. Not sure I get the analogy. Schwartz didn't have much success in the first place. Caldwell is starting over with his own staff, his own schemes, his own philosophies, his own rules. Any success enjoyed by the Lions will be his, just like any success at Purdue would have been his...if he had had any.

It was his team in Indy. People here can not say it wasn't his team when they lost the SB and went 14-2. Yet turn around and say he blows because he went 2-14 without Manning.

Seems some folks here are using the two seasons to help their own arguement.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said he sucked. Which is fine, he coaches students for a school that means nothing to me. I think Caldwell sucked for the Ravens this season. Partly because his starting quarterback was argueably worse than Chad Henne this year. Partly because he was willing to take the Lions gig. With this new gig he'll be coaching professionals, many of which sucked this year. Sadly, I don't see a big change coming, and I care.

They will tell you his QB sucked this yr because his WR and TE's either left or got hurt......but yet brady loses WR after WR it seems....not to mention it seems he has had 45 RB's lineup behind him over the years.....but still if the QB puts the ball there, an NFL WR usually will catch it.....torey smith is no bum....ray rice is no bum....

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, all I can do is just laugh at you guys! I'm pretty even about how I feel about the hire but I won't sit here and act like I know whay will happen. Lol

:agree: Hell, I was surprised the sun rose the morning after after Whiz got hired. AFter reading these threads I knew it was not rising after Caldwell got hired.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I think Jim Caldwell is about as far from an embarrassment as we could find. I've never thought of Caldwell as anything other than a middle aged football man. That's not a bad thing. There are a half dozen middle aged football men that I've looked up to personally for most of my life. I don't think he's innovative. I don't think he's overly inspirational. And I certainly don't think he's an embarrassment. Had we hired Lane Kiffin I wouldn't have posted a single word in lower case since. That's what I meant by looking for a guy that's not an embarrassment. Schwartz is an embarrassment. Bobby Petrino is an embarrassment. Jim Tressel is an embarrassment. There are plenty of others.

Be careful.....if the lions hire tressel alot of fans will be talking about how great he will be....

Funny i looked back on the coach thread.....and the only person who supported caldwell a few weeks back was trustme.....lol......

If he can hold players accountable, ill be happy.....but with dungy and manning holding his hand and calling and campaigning for him....it sort of scares me....like his resume couldnt get him the job....but IF dungy and peyton have his back....WELL THEN!!! Lets hope the lions werent duped again.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know -- Flacco played like a man possessed last year in the playoffs. Actually -- the last 3 years Baltimore has been in the playoffs -- Flacco has 18 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions. He has also won at least one playoff game every year in the league and has a record of 9-4 in playoff games.

Most aren't big fans of Flacco, but the guy just seems to do what is needed in the playoffs.

And your last statement -- I completely agree. If he takes his comments and changes the culture in the locker room -- I think Detroit can make a leap next year. Most are putting it on Suh signing an extension, but IMO, Detroit is going to live and die on the arm of Stafford. I also think that is why they were so set on finding a coach who can help develop the QB position.

Don't get me wrong though -- If Detroit loses Suh -- it is going to be a HUGE BLOW to this team.

Wonder if were talking about this IF denver couldve just batted the ball down?

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to be patient and get the best candidate possible for OC... Maybe wait until the playoffs are over even..

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think writing books about honesty and high morals, then lying your ass off to further your goals is an embarrassment? I have a problem with that which is different from football. It's more important than football IMO.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys talking about me again?

Not sure I ever called Warford a bust for not starting the first pre-season game.....I'm pretty sure I stated something about him not starting the 3rd pre-season game because that is the dress rehearsal for opening day.....Not sure I used the word bust...(probably did)

Maybe it was the ineptness of the coaching staff all alone.....So Warford wasn't the bust but Schwartz and Linehan were by not starting the guy? Just a thought. Warford is still on the team while the guys responsible for who starts and who doesn't arn't.

I didn't name any names. But I feel like the culprit was born at Gratiot Comminity Hospital. :noidea: