• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official JIM CALDWELL/new staff thread

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But managed to come back anyway. ;)

He still is sighted from time to time.......

You can't say he doesn't find success consistently. We all have our goals on this board. He achieves his. Can most people say that? I don't think so.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the one thing that really concerns me about Caldwell at this point - his Wake Forest head coaching record:

1987-92 Bill Dooley 29-36-2 .448

1993-00 Jim Caldwell 26-63 .292

2001-2013 Jim Grobe 77-82 .484

There's no getting around it. He was bad in his previous head coaching stint. Even by Wake Forest standards.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why many of you are mad and dont thunk this is a good hire, but it speaks volumes of how some of you think, considering the fact that you think you know more than these guys in the NFL. Honestly, it doesn't really matter what his history was because I'm sure there's plenty of reasons why he failed when he did. I keep seeing the 29th offense stuff but the guy had absolutely nothing to work with. We should've just kept Linehan because he looks like a offensive guru compared to Caldwell.

Somebody please explain how they know that this was a bad hire or anything else without using the same stupid excuses we've already seen so far. I'll wait.

In other words you're all lathered up in the blue and silver butter, and there's nothing anyone can say to you to alter your mind. Our comments "speak volumes to you". Cool. Whatever the fuck that means.

His presser was 10/10. I was impressed. If Suh resigns I'll be really impressed.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the one thing that really concerns me about Caldwell at this point - his Wake Forest head coaching record:

1987-92 Bill Dooley 29-36-2 .448

1993-00 Jim Caldwell 26-63 .292

2001-2013 Jim Grobe 77-82 .484

There's no getting around it. He was bad in his previous head coaching stint. Even by Wake Forest standards.

His HC record is much better. 26-22 and that includes the 2-14 year.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His HC record is much better. 26-22 and that includes the 2-14 year.

I know he did ok at Indy, but that wasn't really his team. He was part of a staff and slid into the interim post. Wake Forest was his baby from the moment he was hired, just as the Lions is now.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he did ok at Indy, but that wasn't really his team. He was part of a staff and slid into the interim post. Wake Forest was his baby from the moment he was hired, just as the Lions is now.

Nick Saban is considered a god in the college coaching ranks. He's sucked at the NFL level. Not everyone has success at every level. Different games, different styles fit different people.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban was 15-17 in the NFL. (He won 9 games in Miami in 05, theyve won more than that once since he left.)He's had tremendous success at every stop he's made in CFB. I don't think there is much of a comparison. If he wanted the Lions gig tomorrow Caldwell should step aside and let him have it. (If KW doesn't want this job, nobody in their right mind should think Saban would.)

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think he'll be worse than Schwartz? I don't.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I count Saban as NOT having success in the NFL.

But, how about Spurrier? Dennis Erickson? Those two had very successful college careers, yet both failed miserably in the NFL. My point, like I said before, is that not every coach is made to coach at every level. Caldwell, whether we want to believe it or not, has had success at the NFL level even if his college career sucked.

And I'm not even saying Caldwell is the next savior of this franchise, b/c at this point I'm not sure what it will take. However, I'm not gonna write the guy off before he even landed in Detroit(which many already did).

Let's see how this offseason shapes up, whether Suh and the F.O. can reach a long term deal(which are in talks right now), and how the team looks in his first season. The talent on this team already and Caldwell's leading it should give us a pretty good idea of where we stand with him. It's not like his cupboard is bare. He has plenty to work with and build upon.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said he sucked. Which is fine, he coaches students for a school that means nothing to me. I think Caldwell sucked for the Ravens this season. Partly because his starting quarterback was argueably worse than Chad Henne this year. Partly because he was willing to take the Lions gig. With this new gig he'll be coaching professionals, many of which sucked this year. Sadly, I don't see a big change coming, and I care.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had this coaching search been based on finding a coach who isn't an embarrassment, Id be fine with everything. Caldwell doesn't suffer from douchitis. Which is nice. But I don't think that's what decisions were based off.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said he sucked.
True. Misworded perhaps?

Sadly, I don't see a big change coming, and I care.
I know you care. And I am still unsure of what will happen. I would like to give him some time before determining that. I know for many, the years of failure have taken that option away.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had this coaching search been based on finding a coach who isn't an embarrassment, Id be fine with everything.
So now he's an embarrassment? sheesh

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caldwell, whether we want to believe it or not, has had success at the NFL level even if his college career sucked.

I honestly really liked his press conference. He said all the right things and if he truly holds true to what he said, I think he could succeed with the Lions, as they have the talent to be a really good team.

That being said -- Caldwell took over a team who in the prior 3 years were 12-4, 13-3 and 12-4. It isn't as if he brought the Colts up from the ashes. They were already one of the best teams in the NFL, when Dungy stepped down as head coach.

If anything -- going from 14-2 to 10-6 to 2-14 (though the 2-14 was without Manning) says he wasn't successful with Indy. The team regressed.

As I said though -- if he follows thru and gets the Lions to stop shooting themselves in the foot with dumb penalties, turnovers, etc. I think he could be the right guy for the job. I loved hearing him talk about discipline and being held accountable. Also -- having watched how Manning prepared for games for years, can only help with Stafford. If he can get Stafford to commit to the team and the game of football like Manning has over his career -- The sky is the limit for Stafford. If Stafford continues with his nonchalant attitude, we may end up seeing the same type of mistakes repeated year after year.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything -- going from 14-2 to 10-6 to 2-14 (though the 2-14 was without Manning) says he wasn't successful with Indy. The team regressed.
Don't forget that he took over play calling near the end of the regular season in 2012, and helped lead Balt. to a SB win.

Yes, I know they weren't that great this year, but 8-8 after losing some key players(and not really ever having that true elite QB) isn't the worst thing in the world.

And I liked his press conf as well. Now he just needs to instill what he says to the field and off the field and we're hopefully in business.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now he's an embarrassment? sheesh

I think calling him an embarrassment is a bit harsh. It definitely was an underwhelming hire, as the Lions were the only team in the NFL to even bring Caldwell in for an interview. Obviously, all the other teams in the NFL felt Caldwell wasn't even worth bringing in to interview, so that raises a red flag to me.

I still stand by my statement I made earlier though -- For years, Detroit has hired the guy they wanted and they have failed miserably. This year -- the guy they wanted left them at the altar and they had to go to the plan B. Plan B (Caldwell) will probably end up being the best coach the Lions have had in decades, because he wasn't the first choice of the front office.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I think Jim Caldwell is about as far from an embarrassment as we could find. I've never thought of Caldwell as anything other than a middle aged football man. That's not a bad thing. There are a half dozen middle aged football men that I've looked up to personally for most of my life. I don't think he's innovative. I don't think he's overly inspirational. And I certainly don't think he's an embarrassment. Had we hired Lane Kiffin I wouldn't have posted a single word in lower case since. That's what I meant by looking for a guy that's not an embarrassment. Schwartz is an embarrassment. Bobby Petrino is an embarrassment. Jim Tressel is an embarrassment. There are plenty of others.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget that he took over play calling near the end of the regular season in 2012, and helped lead Balt. to a SB win.

Yes, I know they weren't that great this year, but 8-8 after losing some key players(and not really ever having that true elite QB) isn't the worst thing in the world.

And I liked his press conf as well. Now he just needs to instill what he says to the field and off the field and we're hopefully in business.

I know -- Flacco played like a man possessed last year in the playoffs. Actually -- the last 3 years Baltimore has been in the playoffs -- Flacco has 18 touchdowns and only 2 interceptions. He has also won at least one playoff game every year in the league and has a record of 9-4 in playoff games.

Most aren't big fans of Flacco, but the guy just seems to do what is needed in the playoffs.

And your last statement -- I completely agree. If he takes his comments and changes the culture in the locker room -- I think Detroit can make a leap next year. Most are putting it on Suh signing an extension, but IMO, Detroit is going to live and die on the arm of Stafford. I also think that is why they were so set on finding a coach who can help develop the QB position.

Don't get me wrong though -- If Detroit loses Suh -- it is going to be a HUGE BLOW to this team.