• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL: Free Agency Opening Day(s) thread....

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CBA also contains a 35-and-over rule, sometimes referred to as the Mogilny rule. This rule states that if a player signs a multi-year deal when the player is 35 or older, starting in the second year of the contract, that amount will count towards the team's salary cap regardless of whether the player is on the active roster or not. This is designed to keep teams from signing older players to lucrative front-loaded contracts, thus saving cap room, in which there is no expectation the player will actually play in the latter years.

just had an epiphany that i'm sure many have already had.. but doesn't the cap penalty from a buyout come from the remaining salary? for example, wont pronger's buyout penalty be rather small cause he makes like 1 mil the last 2 years of his contract?

also.. wtf, its 730 am, how aren't there any signings yet!?!?!?!?!:mad:

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Boucher also coming back for next year? It looks like the flyers have a full complement of tenders at the moment.

I don't believe Boucher will be coming back to Philly again. Ever.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe Boucher will be coming back to Philly again. Ever.

you think he's gunna get waived then tox? he's signed for next year.. i think he's gunna be the backup.. ppl can say all they want that the flyers are still looking to sign a goalie.. i HIGHLY doubt that.. they're gunna go with leighton and boosh at least for the time being.. if its not working out they'll do something about it at the deadline.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also.. wtf, its 730 am, how aren't there any signings yet!?!?!?!?!:mad:

FA doesn't start for another 2 hours. It won't get good for another 4 hours. :(

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Spector is tweeting that something may be happening in Calgary (podium/presser being set up for some kind of announcement)

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Spector is tweeting that something may be happening in Calgary (podium/presser being set up for some kind of announcement)

Sutter: "I have called this presser to announce that due to the fact that we are only one player away from being a major contender, we will be concluding our foray into free agency after we introduce you to your NEWEST Calgary Flame; please give a warm welcome to ANDREAS LILJA!!!"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sutter: "I have called this presser to announce that due to the fact that we are only one player away from being a major contender, we will be concluding our foray into free agency after we introduce you to your NEWEST Calgary Flame; please give a warm welcome to ANDREAS LILJA!!!"

In Lilja we trust :)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

it is our great pleasure to announce the return of Olli Jokinen on a long term deal. For only $6 million per year, it was an opportunity we couldn't pass up. we feel his chemistry will Iginla will put us over the top. However, to fit the salary, we have needed to trade Giordano for draft picks. That's OK though, we can just give Sarich more ice time.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speculation that Brandon Dubinsky may be on the move...He's a good player, but no where near worth a Backlund.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dreger and Bob Mac reporting the following:

Meszaros is going from Tampa to Philly for a second round pick.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The CBA also contains a 35-and-over rule, sometimes referred to as the Mogilny rule. This rule states that if a player signs a multi-year deal when the player is 35 or older, starting in the second year of the contract, that amount will count towards the team's salary cap regardless of whether the player is on the active roster or not. This is designed to keep teams from signing older players to lucrative front-loaded contracts, thus saving cap room, in which there is no expectation the player will actually play in the latter years.

This 35+ rule is what I believed handcuffed Ray Shero in his negotiations with Sarge. Gonchar was looking at 3 yrs/5 million per. Shero wanted a two year term, but Sarge and his agent are adament about 3. You can't give a 36 yr old regressing D-man 5 million per for three years. Especially since it would be guaranteed to be the full amount going against the cap. It's too much of a risk to have when the team already has 27 million dollars per year tied up in Fleury, Malkin, Staal and Crosby.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daren Millard is hearing Marc Savard to Calgary for Robyn Regehr...I would like it.

Edit: But I thought Savard wanted either Toronto or Ottawa. It's gonna be one of those days.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dreger and Bob Mac reporting the following:

Meszaros is going from Tampa to Philly for a second round pick.

I had no idea what his contract was and I can't believe he is making four million.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamhuis' agent says pittsburgh is still a viable option, but he's going to hit the open market and hear what everyone is selling. Reports are also saying that both Paul Martin and Zybnek Michalek are going to be pursued by Shero and the Pens at 12:00.... which is right now!!

HERE WE GO!!!!

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This isn't exactly exciting but Dreger: Biron. 2 yrs just under 900K with Rangers.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin Biron has signed a two year deal with the Rags - No dollars known

Edit: loki has the $$$ above

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hamhuis' agent says pittsburgh is still a viable option, but he's going to hit the open market and hear what everyone is selling. Reports are also saying that both Paul Martin and Zybnek Michalek are going to be pursued by Shero and the Pens at 12:00.... which is right now!!

HERE WE GO!!!!

I'm excited, but I hope we don't overpay. I think of the three options I would prefer Paul Martin actually.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McKenzie: Dan Paille re-signs in BOS, two years, $1M and $1.15M.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm excited, but I hope we don't overpay. I think of the three options I would prefer Paul Martin actually.

I'd be happy with Paul Martin. I'd also be thrilled if they said see ya later to Hamhuis and Sarge and roped in A-Train... i guy can dream:D