• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Broncos News/Rumors Thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expanding to the far east or Europe may be an option, but the problem will always be the travel. A 10 hour round trip to Europe has to be followed with a bye week. 13 hour one way to China or Australia is a whole different bad of wax. I've done the far east flight twice and it's exhausting to be holed up in a 400 foot space for that long a period. I'm sure smarter people than me will figure it out.

Oh I'm not disagreeing that frequent trips right now are not a real possibility. The league though has made it clear that expanding to places like Mexico and Europe are priorities. I think they would be wise to try and expand to China as well considering the vast population. They have avenues and honestly with how much travel has changed over the years it wouldn't surprise me in the next 15 years or so for them to come up with planes that can make that trip in a matter of a few hours.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos have made several calls about trades for players that are possibly going to be released. I know that sounds crazy but instead of having to compete with other teams why not trade a 7th round pick for a player that is going to be cut? Don't have to fight with other teams and have a team friendly deal with no guarantees still on the books.

Couple of players I have heard are Calais Campbell and Stephon Diggs. I know there are more as obviously lots of calls are made but I do know the Broncos are pretty serious about both of those players.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kils says AJ Boyune and Slay as well

Reactions: LGM

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos have made several calls about trades for players that are possibly going to be released. I know that sounds crazy but instead of having to compete with other teams why not trade a 7th round pick for a player that is going to be cut? Don't have to fight with other teams and have a team friendly deal with no guarantees still on the books.

Couple of players I have heard are Calais Campbell and Stephon Diggs. I know there are more as obviously lots of calls are made but I do know the Broncos are pretty serious about both of those players.

Campbell and Diggs would be great additions love both of these.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you trade a 7th for someone like that, you get them at their current contract price. If you wait for them to get cut, you can negotiate them to any deal you can sign them to. Most of the time, it is much less than they are making now. But, on the flip side of that, you are bidding against 31 other teams if he gets released (although you rarely see someone get cut, then resign with the same team unless it happens after some time passes and the player can't catch on with anyone else.)

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you trade a 7th for someone like that, you get them at their current contract price. If you wait for them to get cut, you can negotiate them to any deal you can sign them to. Most of the time, it is much less than they are making now. But, on the flip side of that, you are bidding against 31 other teams if he gets released (although you rarely see someone get cut, then resign with the same team unless it happens after some time passes and the player can't catch on with anyone else.)

Remember that the Broncos won't be the only team looking to pick up quality players. For example, the Patriots have become nearly desperate to pick up a #1 WR and would be willing to trade a hell of a lot more than a 7th round pick for Diggs. And probably for Campbell too. In this day most teams are willing to get into a bid fight if they have the assets to deal. Would you be willing to trade a fist rou7nd pick for Diggs? If that's your biggest need, could you draft a WR that could step in and deliver what Diggs can? The patriots tried to make a deal with the Vikings last year for him and Rudolph but the Vikes pulled oit at the last minutes.You can be sure that Belichick has called them about a TE already and you can be sure that Diggs name came up again. The Dolphins have $100M in cap space and three first round picks and you can bet you IRA and House that they're not napping at all.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember that the Broncos won't be the only team looking to pick up quality players. For example, the Patriots have become nearly desperate to pick up a #1 WR and would be willing to trade a hell of a lot more than a 7th round pick for Diggs. And probably for Campbell too. In this day most teams are willing to get into a bid fight if they have the assets to deal. Would you be willing to trade a fist rou7nd pick for Diggs? If that's your biggest need, could you draft a WR that could step in and deliver what Diggs can? The patriots tried to make a deal with the Vikings last year for him and Rudolph but the Vikes pulled oit at the last minutes.You can be sure that Belichick has called them about a TE already and you can be sure that Diggs name came up again. The Dolphins have $100M in cap space and three first round picks and you can bet you IRA and House that they're not napping at all.

I agree that a 7th round pick will not work to acquire some of the talented players mentioned. To me the question is what would it take? I don’t know that I am willing to give up a1st round pick at this point as I think Denver is more then a player or 2 away and that 1st round pick is the future of the franchise.

I am not opposed to trading but to me the 1st round pick is off the table. Two 3rd round picks or a 2nd and I am listening.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These deals also don't get done if there isn't some understanding that the traded player is ready for a contract extension as part of the process.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These deals also don't get done if there isn't some understanding that the traded player is ready for a contract extension as part of the process.

Depends on the current contract. A player with 4 years left on their contract doesn’t need an exstension, but a player with 1 year remaining likely does.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the current contract. A player with 4 years left on their contract doesn’t need an exstension, but a player with 1 year remaining likely does.

You are correct - Mr. smarty pants. ;)

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Campbell would have to be re-negotiated . most I would pay Campbell is about half his current salary maybe $8M a year.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway could be leaving the assistants home so he can do some heavy duty GMing. The fewer the better of you are trying to keep things on the down-low

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry I should have specified...the 7th round part of that conversation was only geared towards players like Campbell and those that are almost certainly being cut so a team does not want to fight other teams for their services. It happens every year of a player being announced they will be cut only to be traded for a late round pick. You are right there is no way Diggs is getting traded for a 7th. I don't think his value will be huge for multiple reasons: The first being that he and the team are not getting along at all and the Vikings have told teams they are wanting him gone. The next being because of the WR class in this draft just the value of trading for a WR doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless it just isn't for much. Honestly if I'm the Broncos I'm just trading what I got for Emanuel Sanders during the season of a 3rd and 4th round pick. I don't see another team outbidding them with that kind of trade talk.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stefon Diggs has 4 years left on his deal and they are right around the $10-11 million mark per year since Minnesota would be responsible for all the bonus money. Honestly for a top flight WR that is pennies on the dollar. I do have two big concerns with him. The first being if he caused issues in Minnesota that usually doesn't go away just because of a change in location. I would want to know more of why there is a rift between him and the organization. The second being if he has a big first year what is to stop him from wanting to renegotiate his deal and try to get top dollar for the position? It is why any trade I have for him starts with a 3rd or later. I'm not willing to give a 1st or 2nd as those are players you are hoping can be long-term solutions in the organization.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell would have to be re-negotiated . most I would pay Campbell is about half his current salary maybe $8M a year.

Good point. He might be a good one to let hit the market as the Broncos have a huge advantage over other teams in it being end of his career and I would think the pull to play near his family would be big for him. Throw in he would be coming to a defensive system that highlights IDL and allows them to really rack up the stats.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? We thought the rest of the league was on free agency probation this year. Darn!

Others will be looking for them but remember we called dibs! And dibs must be honored in all situations. And I'm going to do this now of Broncos have dibs on all big name players hitting the market or in trades for the rest of eternity. Boom!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm not disagreeing that frequent trips right now are not a real possibility. The league though has made it clear that expanding to places like Mexico and Europe are priorities. I think they would be wise to try and expand to China as well considering the vast population. They have avenues and honestly with how much travel has changed over the years it wouldn't surprise me in the next 15 years or so for them to come up with planes that can make that trip in a matter of a few hours.

Boom! Supersonic Passenger Jet Coming by 2020 | Live Science

"At Mach 2.2, passengers could travel between New York City and London in 3 hours and 15 minutes, the company said. The supersonic jet could fly between San Francisco and Tokyo in 5.5 hours, or between Sydney and Los Angeles in 6 hours and 45 minutes."

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boom! Supersonic Passenger Jet Coming by 2020 | Live Science

"At Mach 2.2, passengers could travel between New York City and London in 3 hours and 15 minutes, the company said. The supersonic jet could fly between San Francisco and Tokyo in 5.5 hours, or between Sydney and Los Angeles in 6 hours and 45 minutes."

Yeah I had heard about some of those planes were starting to come into the picture. Which is why I said in the next 15 years it really wouldn't surprise me to see a team overseas and it not be a big deal in needing a bye week after playing in London or wherever. The NFL knows that at some point they will have maximized how much money they can make from just the United States and will need to expand their brand.