• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should TEX feel obligated to carry E. Beltre on the 25man with all of 22 ML games on his resume ... when Borbon had over 200? Only reason he'd be carried is to get him traded for something of value. Just like Borbon nobody is going to trade for Beltre because they see that TEX needs Choice on the roster and knows at some point TEX will have to release Beltre and they can pick him up for free.

I'm not saying Beltre should go and Kirkman stay ... but there is a whole lot more value in a LH SP than a CFer who spent 3 years to get through AA.

The Rangers don't need Choice on the roster unless Fielder, Moreland, Rios, Choo or Martin get hurt

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers don't need Choice on the roster unless Fielder, Moreland, Rios, Choo or Martin get hurt

Choice is RH, so I see him having a shot to make the roster. Rios cannot be the only RH OF candidate.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should TEX feel obligated to carry E. Beltre on the 25man with all of 22 ML games on his resume ... when Borbon had over 200? Only reason he'd be carried is to get him traded for something of value. Just like Borbon nobody is going to trade for Beltre because they see that TEX needs Choice on the roster and knows at some point TEX will have to release Beltre and they can pick him up for free.

I'm not saying Beltre should go and Kirkman stay ... but there is a whole lot more value in a LH SP than a CFer who spent 3 years to get through AA.

I don't think Tex should feel obligated to keep him, hell he has had 6 years or so to figure it out. He has some upside and I doubt they could get much for him as with the Borbon situation probably? There may however be a team that values him enough or has the needs to give up a player with some value for him. He probably has no chance at clearing waivers but just because he was waived won't give every team a chance to claim him correct?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choice is RH, so I see him having a shot to make the roster. Rios cannot be the only RH OF candidate.

I can see him making the roster too, but they don't NEED him on the roster the guys I listed are more than capable of handling most of the ABs between OF/1B/DH

Although I could see an attempt to keep guys well rested & semi-platoon Choice with Moreland that would get Choice plenty of ABs but that would take a proactive approach from the beginning

problem for me and that approach is Washington, b/c it require him to actually think

If Choice ends up spending more than 3 days a week on the bench then he's better served in AAA and getting another guy to be glued regularly to the bench except pinch running and defensive replacement

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I hated lewin, so obviously I disagree, he was an annoying little twerp who was never on topic

Me too.

It was odd to me how much I enjoyed him doing interviews but as a game caster, I couldn't stand him.

But honestly, the Rangers haven't done much of a job replacing him, and it's been a while.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too.

It was odd to me how much I enjoyed him doing interviews but as a game caster, I couldn't stand him.

But honestly, the Rangers haven't done much of a job replacing him, and it's been a while.

Heaven forbid someone not be dry and boring I guess. He had the impossible job of making shitty teams watchable, and he somehow did exactly that. It's not like everyone can be Jon Miller. He also had the misfortune of being paired with possibly the worst color man in the history of sports. Tom Grieve has been awful since day one. He's a bitter old man who clings to his Mr. Ranger status. Listening to he and McLemore drone on about who the hell knows what and the damn cookies and birthday shout outs for 80 year olds...Yet people want to complain about Seinfeld references and stuff...Damn I've gone and ranted....

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when we were glad it was Busbee. Now just got to find TAG a job somewhere.

TAG has been a player, GM, and now color man for the same franchise...I think it's time to let him retire. You've given enough...lol

To this day I don't understand how the man curried such favor with the franchise.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heaven forbid someone not be dry and boring I guess. He had the impossible job of making shitty teams watchable, and he somehow did exactly that. It's not like everyone can be Jon Miller. He also had the misfortune of being paired with possibly the worst color man in the history of sports. Tom Grieve has been awful since day one. He's a bitter old man who clings to his Mr. Ranger status. Listening to he and McLemore drone on about who the hell knows what and the damn cookies and birthday shout outs for 80 year olds...Yet people want to complain about Seinfeld references and stuff...Damn I've gone and ranted....

I was never enamored with Lewin but I always found him to keep Grieve less than boring as hell. I didn't miss him until he was gone and now I would love to have him back. Rhadigan was bad as well as Barnett and Busby thinks every high fly ball is a HR off the bat.

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TAG has been a player, GM, and now color man for the same franchise...I think it's time to let him retire. You've given enough...lol

To this day I don't understand how the man curried such favor with the franchise.

It also drives me crazy how many bloopers and bleeders the other team had how we just got under or just missed that one.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never enamored with Lewin but I always found him to keep Grieve less than boring as hell. I didn't miss him until he was gone and now I would love to have him back. Rhadigan was bad as well as Barnett and Busby thinks every high fly ball is a HR off the bat.

I've stated I wasn't a huge fan of Lewins. However, at least he had some energy. Grieve, Busby and McLemore are the driest announcers one can imagine.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wish Nadel would do TV as well....

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehhh.... I would only consider hitting Rios #2 if the Rangers acquired somebody that could actually hit in the #5 hole. (but I do like the idea)

Moreland isnt that person currently. Especially after last year's 2nd half and the Spring Training he's had this year.
Choice could be that guy....but that's just based off this Spring.

The proposed Martin, Soto, Profar, Elvis bottom half makes me :bawling:

All things considered, here is what I would roll out.

With Choice starting...
Choo
Rios
Fielder
Beltre
Choice
Soto
Profar
Elvis
Martin

With Moreland starting...
Choo
Elvis
Fielder
Beltre
Rios
Soto
Moreland
Profar
Martin

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not keep up with the threads during the game but 20 pitches per inning for Perez and Kirkman is nonsense. I expect Perez to fix that but that is about par for Kirkman.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not keep up with the threads during the game but 20 pitches per inning for Perez and Kirkman is nonsense. I expect Perez to fix that but that is about par for Kirkman.
I don't think we would see Kirkman if we weren't desperate for SP. Felize looked better as did Soria.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirkman just seemed to fold like a cheap suit under pressure.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirkman just seemed to fold like a cheap suit under pressure.

He made a couple bad pitches and seemed to struggle with his command at times but that 2nd inning for him was the issue, he made quality pitches in his 1st (minus the HR) and 3rd inning

Not going to make excuses for him but he also seemed to be having an issue with the mound, but I only saw him and Soria pitch