• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said this from the get go, and that draft pick compensation would eat his value alive

Now that Jimenez is in Baltimore it makes that a much likelier landing spot for him now, since the compensation is lower

I always said he'd sign here for something like 2/24 and an option year or someone would get desperate in ST due to injury or other issue

But wouldn't they just have to give up their next draft pick? It may be lower but it doesn't seems like losing your 1st 2 picks makes the situation more appealing IMO. Perhaps I am missing something? I can see him going there though or perhaps even holding out till mid-season.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But wouldn't they just have to give up their next draft pick? It may be lower but it doesn't seems like losing your 1st 2 picks makes the situation more appealing IMO. Perhaps I am missing something? I can see him going there though or perhaps even holding out till mid-season.

Even after giving up a first-round draft choice to add one of the premier free agents still available in starter Ubaldo Jimenez, the Orioles could still sign another player tied to compensation, [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]435842827885359104[/MEDIA]"]tweets[/ame] Jim Bowden of ESPN.com. The club remains in on both Nelson Cruz and Kendrys Morales.
Indeed, as executive VP Dan Duquette recently noted (via Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports), "if you do one, I think that makes the second one easier, frankly." In large part, the reason for that stance is that Baltimore would pay a relatively meager price in terms of draft compensation. Having already given up the 17th overall choice and traded the team's competitive balance pick (currently, 33rd overall), the O's would now only need to part with their second-round choice (52nd overall as of today), as well as its slot value of just over $1MM.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew it would hurt his value some, but I never thought he would still be on the FA market heading into ST. After he turned it down I think I predicted his contract at around 3/36 so that's about where you had it too. I figured if he came back for 1 more year, showed he can hit without PEDS & hit 30 HR's he would get more than 12 AAV after. Most GM's love to pay for HR's.

Personally, I think he showed he can hit without PEDs last season. I mean with the spotlight on him last season, it seems like it would have been tough for him to use. I think teams around the MLB think like you though, they want to see him go a season, pass some more drug tests, and put up big numbers first.

You before the off season started, I figured Nelly would be cheap- using the Melky contract as a metric. But after it started I was fooled by what he and his agent were expecting. It's starting to look like the Melky contract really was a decent starting point at least. I still think he will get at least $5-10M more than that though.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even after giving up a first-round draft choice to add one of the premier free agents still available in starter Ubaldo Jimenez, the Orioles could still sign another player tied to compensation, tweets Jim Bowden of ESPN.com. The club remains in on both Nelson Cruz and Kendrys Morales.
Indeed, as executive VP Dan Duquette recently noted (via Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports), "if you do one, I think that makes the second one easier, frankly." In large part, the reason for that stance is that Baltimore would pay a relatively meager price in terms of draft compensation. Having already given up the 17th overall choice and traded the team's competitive balance pick (currently, 33rd overall), the O's would now only need to part with their second-round choice (52nd overall as of today), as well as its slot value of just over $1MM.

Thanks for this... that just seems weird. I have to admit I am not really familiar baseball drafts but it sure seems like it would be tough to have a successful draft without your top 2 picks (actually top 3 in this case now). But maybe that's the point...its already going to be a tough draft starting at 52... and is there going to be a huge difference between that and 80 something.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think he showed he can hit without PEDs last season. I mean with the spotlight on him last season, it seems like it would have been tough for him to use. I think teams around the MLB think like you though, they want to see him go a season, pass some more drug tests, and put up big numbers first.

You before the off season started, I figured Nelly would be cheap- using the Melky contract as a metric. But after it started I was fooled by what he and his agent were expecting. It's starting to look like the Melky contract really was a decent starting point at least. I still think he will get at least $5-10M more than that though.

I know he can hit HR's without them. I was talking from other teams' perspective.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OK!!! Now we are getting somewhere! Just read this T.R. item ... and extracted the bottom paragraphs ... Top to bottom, Texas wants better situational hitting | texasrangers.com: News

But Washington said the bottom half of the order -- designated hitter Mitch Moreland, catchers Geovany Soto and J.P. Arencibia, second baseman Jurickson Profar and center fielder Leonys Martin -- needs to be proficient at situational hitting.

"Those guys have to do the little things," Washington said. "Move runners over, bunt, hit and run, squeeze, they will have to pay attention to what the game says has to be done. Every time they execute, they set it up for the guys who get paid to drive in runs."

You know ... I could have sworn that situational hitting was a priority couple of seasons back. And near as I can recall it wasn't the bottom half of the order that failed here. And where was Wash during all that run slump and guys not situational hitting? And situational hitting applies to everybody Ron!

Wash is so freakin transparent. He throws down the gauntlet on Moreland, Soto, Arencibia, Profar and Martin ... but he's not saying squat to the veterans in spots 1 - 5.

Here it is just 2 days into camp ... and Wash has already spun me up. Romeo ... save me from this idiocy!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK!!! Now we are getting somewhere! Just read this T.R. item ... and extracted the bottom paragraphs ... Top to bottom, Texas wants better situational hitting | texasrangers.com: News

But Washington said the bottom half of the order -- designated hitter Mitch Moreland, catchers Geovany Soto and J.P. Arencibia, second baseman Jurickson Profar and center fielder Leonys Martin -- needs to be proficient at situational hitting.

"Those guys have to do the little things," Washington said. "Move runners over, bunt, hit and run, squeeze, they will have to pay attention to what the game says has to be done. Every time they execute, they set it up for the guys who get paid to drive in runs."

You know ... I could have sworn that situational hitting was a priority couple of seasons back. And near as I can recall it wasn't the bottom half of the order that failed here. And where was Wash during all that run slump and guys not situational hitting? And situational hitting applies to everybody Ron!

Wash is so freakin transparent. He throws down the gauntlet on Moreland, Soto, Arencibia, Profar and Martin ... but he's not saying squat to the veterans in spots 1 - 5.

Here it is just 2 days into camp ... and Wash has already spun me up. Romeo ... save me from this idiocy!
WMW, do you suppose situational management might also be a key factor this year?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Wash just has a different way he communicates things to his veterans. I mean if you think about it, that's how it works in a lot of places. If you are a manager, sometimes its harder to get points across to the guys that have been with the company for a while using the same methods you would use for someone new. You just usually don't get the same results. Guys that have been there for a while sort of start to blow you off when you try treat them like they are the "new guy." I would guess a lot of that type of talk happens behind closed doors and the media rarely gets a hold of it. That being said, I really consider Soto, JJ, and Moreland veterans and he is talking about them.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much what the bottom 3rd is expected to do on all clubs. Cut down on SO's, put the ball in play and advance runners.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heyman writes that the Mariners also had discussions with Ubaldo Jimenez prior to his four-year, $50MM deal with the Orioles, and they've been in talks with Ervin Santana as well. However, signing Capuano to augment their rotation instead of Santana would leave additional funds to add another bat, such as Kendrys Morales or Nelson Cruz.

I think I'd rather them sign Capuano & Nelly/Morales, than Santana. Either way I don't see these moves putting them at the top of the division.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Wash just has a different way he communicates things to his veterans. I mean if you think about it, that's how it works in a lot of places. If you are a manager, sometimes its harder to get points across to the guys that have been with the company for a while using the same methods you would use for someone new. You just usually don't get the same results. Guys that have been there for a while sort of start to blow you off when you try treat them like they are the "new guy." I would guess a lot of that type of talk happens behind closed doors and the media rarely gets a hold of it. That being said, I really consider Soto, JJ, and Moreland veterans and he is talking about them.

Dude --- I don't agree. You treat everyone the same in public. They are all professionals.

PDay is right that a focus on getting on base goes especially for the bottom of the order ... but there is no reason to pick out five guys for public notice to that effect.

You said: "If you are a manager, sometimes its harder to get points across to the guys that have been with the company for a while using the same methods you would use for someone new. You just usually don't get the same results".

So since Wash has a difficulty 'getting the points across' (setting standards and expectations) for the veterans ... its okay to call out the lower time guys in pubic ... the second day of spring training? Having run a couple of organizations (military and civilian) with over a hundred or more the quickest way you lose them is if you treat one segment different than another.

Funny Hamilton's departure, Berkman's arrival, Cruz' vacation nor Murphy's season long slump that Wash rewarded with a starting job deep into September weren't mentioned anywhere in the piece for the drop off in run production.

What he might have said is ...

"We need to do better situationally hitting from top to bottom of the order than we did last year. We dealt with a number of changes in personnel due to departures and injuries and our guys all tried to turn our run production around and some of them got out of their game. Our group this year has great balance and talent and our younger guys are a season older. I expect we will do well as long as everyone plays their game remembers the situation".

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much what the bottom 3rd is expected to do on all clubs. Cut down on SO's, put the ball in play and advance runners.

Yep.

To be fair - in the article it doesnt state that Wash singled out the players. Wash's "exact" quotes were..

"We didn't do a very good job of it," Washington said. "I want everybody understanding what their job is in the lineup. I want everybody to understand that situation is paramount before self. If we can think like that, we can win 4-6 more ballgames."

The rest was filled in via T.R....and his assumption of the "bottom half" of the order. (in the paragraph you are referring to T.R. failed to use quotes...so therefore he wasnt quoting Wash exactly). Wash probably did state the bottom half of the order... but until I see the actual quote or audio - I doubt he listed names.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude --- I don't agree. You treat everyone the same in public. They are all professionals.

PDay is right that a focus on getting on base goes especially for the bottom of the order ... but there is no reason to pick out five guys for public notice to that effect.

You said: "If you are a manager, sometimes its harder to get points across to the guys that have been with the company for a while using the same methods you would use for someone new. You just usually don't get the same results".

So since Wash has a difficulty 'getting the points across' (setting standards and expectations) for the veterans ... its okay to call out the lower time guys in pubic ... the second day of spring training? Having run a couple of organizations (military and civilian) with over a hundred or more the quickest way you lose them is if you treat one segment different than another.

Funny Hamilton's departure, Berkman's arrival, Cruz' vacation nor Murphy's season long slump that Wash rewarded with a starting job deep into September weren't mentioned anywhere in the piece for the drop off in run production.

What he might have said is ...

"We need to do better situationally hitting from top to bottom of the order than we did last year. We dealt with a number of changes in personnel due to departures and injuries and our guys all tried to turn our run production around and some of them got out of their game. Our group this year has great balance and talent and our younger guys are a season older. I expect we will do well as long as everyone plays their game remembers the situation".

That's cool, you don't have to agree. In light of Pdays and Xx's comments, we both might be over reading into the quotes. It's just as likely Wash is making a generic baseball statement (which he is know for) in which he is simply reciting fundamental line up roles:

"they set it up...." - bottom half of the line up
"for the guys who get paid to drive in runs"- top half of the lineup

I'm not even sure if he is calling anyone out or just giving a sort of an obvious response. I mean I think Moreland, Profar, Martin, JJ, and Soto all know that is their job. I don't think they felt called out or anything.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that did bother me is RW talking about working with Profar on his foot work at 2nd base. Just keep that in house and in public praise Profar and say something to the fact that he will do a great job at 2nd. I felt like that was self serving of RW. We do not need to knock another young player down a notch but just the opposite.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I've got baseball fever BAD this year. Not sure if it is Fielder and Profar or just the lack of quality sports in DFW right now...but I'm dying for the end of March to get here already. Last night I was playing around and pricing out what it would cost for flights, hotels, and a car for a 4 to 5 night stay in Phoenix mid march. The convenient thing is that my sons birthday is mid march, so in a few years when he has reached "sports consciousness" that will make a great yearly birthday trip. Not to mention I have family in that area so could make the trip even cheaper. I've never been to a spring training, but have always wanted to go.

I was surprised to see ST game tickets were as expensive as they were. I figured they would be $5-$10, but looks like they start at $8 for lawn seats. Bet they are cheaper if you walk up. I'll be picking this boards brain in a few years when I'm ready to actually go. :suds:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I've got baseball fever BAD this year. Not sure if it is Fielder and Profar or just the lack of quality sports in DFW right now...but I'm dying for the end of March to get here already. Last night I was playing around and pricing out what it would cost for flights, hotels, and a car for a 4 to 5 night stay in Phoenix mid march. The convenient thing is that my sons birthday is mid march, so in a few years when he has reached "sports consciousness" that will make a great yearly birthday trip. Not to mention I have family in that area so could make the trip even cheaper. I've never been to a spring training, but have always wanted to go.

I was surprised to see ST game tickets were as expensive as they were. I figured they would be $5-$10, but looks like they start at $8 for lawn seats. Bet they are cheaper if you walk up. I'll be picking this boards brain in a few years when I'm ready to actually go. :suds:

You think the Rangers can win the west this year?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think the Rangers can win the west this year?

Of course they can. They've been capable the last two years. Gonna have to stop this injured pitcher shit though.