• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy has always had health/injury issues as well. I can't really fault him for the cancer and other arm and health issues. Dude has had plenty of things that have kept him from really being able to put it all together for an entire season. Big left hander with above avg velocity, see him performing well with no more set backs. A low cost high ceiling guy if he can stay healthy. I think this is the year he outperforms expectations

Miscast may be true. But his performance has not always been tied to health issues. He has just stunk period. His issue is control.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This on Kirkman: LHP Michael Kirkman retired the first five baters he faced before allowing a bloop single in the fourth. Derek Norris followed with a double, but Kirkman struck out Nate Freiman to end the inning.

This on Beltre: OF Engel Beltre was caught stealing second and thrown out trying to go from first to third on a single. Awful baserunning might be the only thing that could keep the out-of-options Beltre off the team.

These were in Sports Day today.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you guys, don't be surprised if Kirkman winds up in the rotation out of camp. Especially with Harrison likely a week or two behind.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you guys, don't be surprised if Kirkman winds up in the rotation out of camp. Especially with Harrison likely a week or two behind.

I won't say it can't happen and he has the ability. I would like to see how he does as a starter. If he can control his pitches then he could be tough. But if the Rangers throw him back into the pen I think that will be a waste of time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say it can't happen and he has the ability. I would like to see how he does as a starter. If he can control his pitches then he could be tough. But if the Rangers throw him back into the pen I think that will be a waste of time.

I agree. If he's not going to be a starter, he's not going to succeed.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's are going to catch a break. Taijuan Walker and Iwakuma are expected to miss the first month of the season, and the M's play the A's 10 times before May 7th.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not a starter, why? His failure or who's?

Some pitchers simply can't pitch in relief situations. Some pitchers simply don't have the ability to be a starter. It's just the way it goes.

No idea if he will be successful as a big league starter, but that's how he's been developed and had been successful in the minors. Then we throw him in the pen with the big club and he shits the bed. I think he might be more successful in the starting role, but he'll have to earn it. If he can be, it would sure be helpful.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some pitchers simply can't pitch in relief situations. Some pitchers simply don't have the ability to be a starter. It's just the way it goes.

No idea if he will be successful as a big league starter, but that's how he's been developed and had been successful in the minors. Then we throw him in the pen with the big club and he shits the bed. I think he might be more successful in the starting role, but he'll have to earn it. If he can be, it would sure be helpful.
Agree with your accessment . have wondered if he had proper handling along the way. We have seen he is not a reliever. Maybe as a starter he may finally develop. If not I think he is gone.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The A's are going to catch a break. Taijuan Walker and Iwakuma are expected to miss the first month of the season, and the M's play the A's 10 times before May 7th.

The A's get all the luck.

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some food for thought ....interesting article.
sloan Conference paper claims Rangers would have won A.L. West in 2013 if pitchers had been used more effectively

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/te...f-pitchers-had-been-used-more-effectively.ece

That article is confusing. It says
Marx's findings show that the Rangers cost themselves an estimated 4.7 wins last year due to their inefficient pitching usage, the third worst mark in the Majors. The Rangers finished five games behind the A's in 2013.
How then would the Rangers have won the West? And was OAK's pitching used optimally? I doubt it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How then would the Rangers have won the West? And was OAK's pitching used optimally? I doubt it.
And failure to advance runners cost us more than pitching. Four 1-0 losses.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wins against the A's count for two games. Not one. Also, Bob Melvin uses his pitchers far more effectively than wash. Probably part of the reason they've beaten us the last two years.

Point is, wash costs us games. Period. Not in the sense that hindsight is 20/20, but in the sense that the decisions he makes are clearly stupid regardless of the outcome. Abd when you consistently make stupid decisions they will cost you too often.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And failure to advance runners cost us more than pitching. Four 1-0 losses.

True, and how many outs did we give away with wash trying to play NL style ball in the first few innings? How many innings did he play us out if with useless bunts, and failed hit and runs?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good baseball talk and points being made here. But I wanted to break in with some weather.

I just drove in from Kaufman, and it's about an hours drive east, straight in 175 to 635, and then heading north. THE ROADS ARE PRETTY BAD AND GETTING WORSE FAST. I saw 3 different wrecks, between Skillman on 635 W and the toll.

If you have to drive, please do so cautiously!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lillibridge is making his case to be on the roster, 4-6 this spring so far.

Was listening on my drive in and Nadel was very complimentary of his hitting a 94 mph fastball through the gap and moved Profar to third.

He's been a serviceable ML for years. Not great, but decent glove, decent average, above average speed and plays the game smart.

You may be right in that he's going to make the Rangers think long/hard about not keeping him.