• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Colby it's disappointed, but he's got to understand the reasoning and know he'll be in the rotation within two weeks.

I am surprised with Colby's seemingly overreaction to the most logical approach to him rejoining the big club. Not only should he not be upset, he should be fully supportive of it. This makes sense for him as much as it does for us. Not a one way street for his immediate future at all IMO.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised with Colby's seemingly overreaction to the most logical approach to him rejoining the big club. Not only should he not be upset, he should be fully supportive of it. This makes sense for him as much as it does for us. Not a one way street for his immediate future at all IMO.

He's worked really hard to get to his goal of starting the season in the rotation. His disappointment just led to frustration. I can understand where he's coming from. Like you said he needs to understand the plan. I'm sure he's on board after they talked to him. At least I hope he is. We can't afford to lose him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's worked really hard to get to his goal of starting the season in the rotation. His disappointment just led to frustration. I can understand where he's coming from. Like you said he needs to understand the plan. I'm sure he's on board after they talked to him. At least I hope he is. We can't afford to lose him.
I bet you're right. Seems like a natural reaction after what he has been through.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet you're right. Seems like a natural reaction after what he has been through.

I am sure it is and I would not want it any other way. Give me a guy with a fire in his belly like Colby has.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he won't, but could you imagine the outrage if Colby was mad enough to exercise his opt out clause?

Haven't read anywhere that he has one, but if he does its probably for if he's optioned to the minors which he won't be, more than likely, he'll start the season on the DL and might do a rehab start or 2 and then come up to the ML team around the middle of April or maybe a little sooner

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if it means anything, but on the Rangers schedule on ESPN, it shows Colby as the starter on 4/11/14 against the Astros.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if it means anything, but on the Rangers schedule on ESPN, it shows Colby as the starter on 4/11/14 against the Astros.

Correct. He makes 2 minor league starts that sets him up for that date.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read anywhere that he has one, but if he does its probably for if he's optioned to the minors which he won't be, more than likely, he'll start the season on the DL and might do a rehab start or 2 and then come up to the ML team around the middle of April or maybe a little sooner

Per LSB:
Among all the other drama of the last few days, the player that Jon Daniels has described as being "the story of camp" is peeved that he's not going to be in the majors on Opening Day.

Honestly, though, I can't say that I blame Lewis. He's had a solid camp, and while he hasn't gotten to 90-100 pitches yet, I can see why he'd think that he would give the team a better chance to win than, say, Nick Martinez, even if he can't go as deep into the game as you would like.

I am assuming that Lewis doesn't have an opt-out in his contract, which means that the Rangers can assign him to the minors and there's nothing he can really do about it. Evan says that Lewis could miss just one start, and be up by April 11 if his next two (minor league) starts go well.
UPDATE -- Per Drew Davison, Lewis does have an opt-out provision, but is not expected to opt out of his deal.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per LSB:
Among all the other drama of the last few days, the player that Jon Daniels has described as being "the story of camp" is peeved that he's not going to be in the majors on Opening Day.

Honestly, though, I can't say that I blame Lewis. He's had a solid camp, and while he hasn't gotten to 90-100 pitches yet, I can see why he'd think that he would give the team a better chance to win than, say, Nick Martinez, even if he can't go as deep into the game as you would like.

I am assuming that Lewis doesn't have an opt-out in his contract, which means that the Rangers can assign him to the minors and there's nothing he can really do about it. Evan says that Lewis could miss just one start, and be up by April 11 if his next two (minor league) starts go well.
UPDATE -- Per Drew Davison, Lewis does have an opt-out provision, but is not expected to opt out of his deal.
This is what Colby said. "I’m healthy, that’s all I’ve got," Lewis said. "You guys can write whatever you want." I think perhaps people are extracting a little too much from this quote. Might be a non story.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what Colby said. "I’m healthy, that’s all I’ve got," Lewis said. "You guys can write whatever you want." I think perhaps people are extracting a little too much from this quote. Might be a non story.

Yeah I posted that last night. I actually heard Colby and he didn't sound happy, but who would be. For some reason I really respect Colby. I am as happy to see him return to the mound as I will be Holland or Harrison.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I posted that last night. I actually heard Colby and he didn't sound happy, but who would be. For some reason I really respect Colby. I am as happy to see him return to the mound as I will be Holland or Harrison.

I can see him being pissed that dead arm got a rotation spot and he didn't.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Roberts was released by the Cubs. He might be better than our backup options as the utility IF

Interesting name, solid pop, 2B/3B guy

Martinez is just a placeholder until Lewis is deemed up to speed, thats all... Although I'd be intrigued to see Saunders get dumped in favor of Martinez haha

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choice makes the big club as the 4th OF. Isn't Moreland the 4th OF? Or is he the backup 1B/DH? Of of Martin/Rios/Choo/Choice/Moreland looks pretty good right now. Wonder if we can trade Engel for anything when he gets healthy.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting name, solid pop, 2B/3B guy

Martinez is just a placeholder until Lewis is deemed up to speed, thats all... Although I'd be intrigued to see Saunders get dumped in favor of Martinez haha

He hit lefties very well last year. .303

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choice makes the big club as the 4th OF. Isn't Moreland the 4th OF? Or is he the backup 1B/DH? Of of Martin/Rios/Choo/Choice/Moreland looks pretty good right now. Wonder if we can trade Engel for anything when he gets healthy.

Moreland is the LHH DH, backup 1B and emergency OF

Last edited by a moderator:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Roberts was released by the Cubs. He might be better than our backup options as the utility IF

Would rather have Roberts than Rosales