• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know what scheppers fastball is avg so far this spring as a starter?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problems taking a crap in public, but I would draw the line at a baseball stadium. Unless I had my own private suite to go destroy I wouldn't even risk it haha.

I didn't have a choice one time. You've got to go to the top deck and the farthest bathroom in the corner. Relatively clean and empty.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know what scheppers fastball is avg so far this spring as a starter?

Not to concerned about tanners velo as I think it's fine, just hope he can keep the ball down and on the edges and out of the middle of the plate

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the AYCE - I'd much rather recommend Frisco's AYCE section over the Rangers.

Or the area's that are all-inclusive. (including drink)

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've sat there once... Ehhhhh.

Hot dogs are of poorer quality than what you find in the lower seating areas, nachos - well...are nachos.. chicken sandwiches are decent.. cant remember what else they have.

Is it worth the extra $20 or so? Hard to justify it. IMO

My oldest son and I sat there for one game and it was garbage. The best thing is it was against the Angels and it was the game where the first 2 pitches Lackey threw at Kinsler's head and he was thrown out of the game followed by Scoscia being thrown out. I laughed my head off. I had never seen anything like that in my life at a ballgame.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just said breaking news on Colby Lewis. Anybody know what's going on. I heard Colby did not sound happy about not being in the rotation.

I guess that's all it was. He said "I'm healthy that's all I got. Go write what you want"

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Results were encouraging, I'm sure they want him to work closer to throwing 100 pitches, if they thought he should throw more than 72 they would have, he's not there yet

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Results were encouraging, I'm sure they want him to work closer to throwing 100 pitches, if they thought he should throw more than 72 they would have, he's not there yet

Would like to see him throw 85 pitches or close, next time out but they know best

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see him throw 85 pitches or close, next time out but they know best

First time over 60, and they want him to throw 90+ consecutive times out, they have a good plan for him, just do your job Colby and everything will be fine and we'll love you forever

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted the hot dogs the most, but they were like a grayish color and they were not the good all beef ones. They also seemed like they were steamed. No thanks. It's worth a shot in HOU though. We've talked about going to see the Rangers at MMP this year.

Did Nolan take the hotdogs with him to Houston?

The Hebrew brand dogs sold at certain grocery chains are the best I've tried. But then again, I'm not the biggest dog eater around. I maybe have 2 a year if I need too or not.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this on ESPN.

ZiPS isn't exactly known for being enthusiastic about recent Astros teams, projecting last year's squad to go 57-105, with their estimated shot at winning the World Series being worse than 1,000-to-1. The relatively optimistic ZiPS projection of 68 wins is a change of pace for a Houston forecast.

I'm not sure that 68 wins is as crazy as it may sound for someone watching the Astros, given that talent is being added to the team through trades and the minor league system. Dexter Fowler is a solid addition, even though he won't put up his Coors Field-inflated raw numbers, and George Springer will be on the major league roster in the near future. The rotation is still a mess, as neither Scott Feldman nor Jarred Cosart are at the top on a good team, but if top prospect Mark Appel and one or two of Mike Foltynewicz, Vince Velasquez and Lance McCullers survive to contribute in the majors, things will start to look better quickly.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time over 60, and they want him to throw 90+ consecutive times out, they have a good plan for him, just do your job Colby and everything will be fine and we'll love you forever

I can understand if he is upset at not being in the starting 5 but yet Saunders and Nick Martinez are. Do you think you will get 5 good innings from Saunders as compared to Colby?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Nolan take the hotdogs with him to Houston?

The Hebrew brand dogs sold at certain grocery chains are the best I've tried. But then again, I'm not the biggest dog eater around. I maybe have 2 a year if I need too or not.

I make it a point to have 3-4 Nathan's dogs in one sitting each Tuesday during baseball season.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a great plan and hopefully this is just a competitive moment for Colby and he see's the value of the plan.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Couple of TEX minor league assignments are surprising ...

Chi Chi slides back to Myrtle Beach and if you told me that Guzman was headed for Frisco I would have said ... "Cool!" ... instead he heads back to Hickory. Both surprised me.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand if he is upset at not being in the starting 5 but yet Saunders and Nick Martinez are. Do you think you will get 5 good innings from Saunders as compared to Colby?

Pretty sure it's more about his health than whether he's a better option than Saunders or Martinez. I think we all would admit he deserves to be in the rotation with all he has overcome and the results from today but he needs to be able to throw 100 pitches.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats not the issue here, he's not ready to go full bore

Saunders could throw 100 pitches now if he got that far, Lewis couldn't/shouldn't

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this on ESPN.

ZiPS isn't exactly known for being enthusiastic about recent Astros teams, projecting last year's squad to go 57-105, with their estimated shot at winning the World Series being worse than 1,000-to-1. The relatively optimistic ZiPS projection of 68 wins is a change of pace for a Houston forecast.

I'm not sure that 68 wins is as crazy as it may sound for someone watching the Astros, given that talent is being added to the team through trades and the minor league system. Dexter Fowler is a solid addition, even though he won't put up his Coors Field-inflated raw numbers, and George Springer will be on the major league roster in the near future. The rotation is still a mess, as neither Scott Feldman nor Jarred Cosart are at the top on a good team, but if top prospect Mark Appel and one or two of Mike Foltynewicz, Vince Velasquez and Lance McCullers survive to contribute in the majors, things will start to look better quickly.

Not surprising, they have some "on the verge" talent (Springer, Singleton and a plethora of pitchers) and improved their talent base now substantially by adding Fowler for this year, not that Fowler is great but he's a lot better than who they had last year

Plus everyone from last year is a year older and when almost everyone on the team is under 25, thats a good thing