• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2013-2014 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop. Talking. About. Marty. To. Pittsburgh. It's freaking me out. If NJ wants to pay all his salary and give him to us for a no-name prospect, okay...but yeah, no.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laughed at the Rimer tweet. Yeah, there's no such thing as a salary cap. Moments I hate being a Pens fan...this one, where you have to wade through tons of crap rumors by borderline bloggers who want to be the first to break something ridiculous.

It seems there is no salary cap limits for the Pens. :noidea:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*raises hand*
1) He's still infinitely better than Tabasco
2) He's a player/coach for Bobrovsky
3) Way better than Tabasco
4) Will only play at most one more year (Not get in the way of Forsberg or Dansk)
5) Did I mention how much better he is than Tabasco?

No. Ehrhoff is mine. You lay off.

Wow, it's almost as if Rossi talks out of his ass trying to drive the one thing he cares about - web hits.

Was watching NHL network earlier and Chicken Parm called St Louis a "baby". Said he should man up and finish the season in TB and look for a trade at the draft.

If he had any interest or motivation towards being a seldom used backup and mentor he'd be staying in New Jersey, wouldn't he?

And McElhinney certainly isn't a star or even a decent backup, but his SV% this year and his career SV% are still both higher than Marty's is this year. Right now there are only 3 (of 41 qualified) goalies in the league with a lower SV% than Marty... Reto Berra, Kevin Poulin and Devan Dubnyk. And you don't have to give up anything to keep McElhinney. Or if you really want to replace him you could probably get a goalie that can actually play for less than Brodeur will cost you.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 58s
#flames recalled Corban Knight and Max Reinhart. #tvasports

ready to make some moves for prospects/picks?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems there is no salary cap limits for the Pens. :noidea:

In looking at some things, they Pens actually can create some extra space, if they're willing to put some question marks on LTIR. Letang and Martin are both not likely to be back in the regular season, so if Shero wants to make a big salary acquisition, he has the ability. Also, he can dump Pyatt and Kobasew to open up some more. Capgeek's numbers with LTIR aren't the most trustworthy because they make it the max number, not the number from the date put on to LTIR, so not including that, simply demoting Kobasew/Pyatt, and LTIR'ing Letang/Martin makes $11M in space. Scale that back based on the LTIR stuff, we're still talking a decent amount of space ($6M more realistic?)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HockeyyInsiderr 12m
Sad news for NHL TDD fans: I will be embarking a flight at 1PM. Will share everything I hear between now and then though :) Cheers!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he had any interest or motivation towards being a seldom used backup and mentor he'd be staying in New Jersey, wouldn't he?

And McElhinney certainly isn't a star or even a decent backup, but his SV% this year and his career SV% are still both higher than Marty's is this year. Right now there are only 3 (of 41 qualified) goalies in the league with a lower SV% than Marty... Reto Berra, Kevin Poulin and Devan Dubnyk. And you don't have to give up anything to keep McElhinney. Or if you really want to replace him you could probably get a goalie that can actually play for less than Brodeur will cost you.

But who on the market that costs less has the playoff experience? A huge thing the Jackets are missing is guys who have been to the top of the mountain. They have one ring in the locker room. One. Marty wouldn't be brought in just for what he can provide on the ice. He would be brought in as a veteran voice and a sign to the players in the room that the organization is not joking around.

The other option out there, and it scares the shit out of me, is Tim Thomas.

As for on the ice, the style gap between what McIlhenny does and what Bob does is too big. The team has to adjust too far because McIlhenny has a tendency to overcommit and he is pretty weak on sharp angles. The D funnels the play outside because Bob is weaker down the middle. Marty is big and positionally sound. He would fit the Jackets D scheme far better than Tabasco, single stat line be damned.