• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before anyone gets excited about the cap space I want to note that the Seahawks have the least number of contracted players of any team in the league excepting the Dolphins. Which means they have to spread that cap space thinly.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does your cap look like next year?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does your cap look like next year?
26th in cap space for 2025 at the moment, but cutting Geno, Lockett and Jones would almost double the cap space.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
26th in cap space for 2025 at the moment, but cutting Geno, Lockett and Jones would almost double the cap space.
Still a lot of dead money then

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before anyone gets excited about the cap space I want to note that the Seahawks have the least number of contracted players of any team in the league excepting the Dolphins. Which means they have to spread that cap space thinly.

this still gives them room to bring in some new players or bring back people that are FA
LB Jordyn Brooks
C Evan Brown
CB Artie Burns
LB Devin Bush
RB DeeJay Dallas
DE Mario Edwards Jr.
TE Noah Fant
G Phil Haynes
G Damien Lewis
QB Drew Lock
TE Colby Parkinson
T Jason Peters
LB Bobby Wagner
DE Leonard Williams

I can see a lot of those to just being left alone but there are some worth bringing back at the right price. QB Lock, G Lewis, TE Parkinson. I still believe the Hawks will go after a lot of Free agents, some high value targets but mostly the 2nd level targets. There are just way to many holes to fill through the draft and WAY to many starter positions. DT, DE, LB ( 2 ) S ( possibly 2 ), Oline all need a starter or two now.

I think Colby Parkinson was under used last season because of Fant and he is a uniquely skilled TE. His size and ability to find open space is special and he lead all TE in TD's on the Seahawks roster even though Fant and Dissly got the lions share of the snaps. He needs more playing time.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this still gives them room to bring in some new players or bring back people that are FA
LB Jordyn Brooks
C Evan Brown
CB Artie Burns
LB Devin Bush
RB DeeJay Dallas
DE Mario Edwards Jr.
TE Noah Fant
G Phil Haynes
G Damien Lewis
QB Drew Lock
TE Colby Parkinson
T Jason Peters
LB Bobby Wagner
DE Leonard Williams

I can see a lot of those to just being left alone but there are some worth bringing back at the right price. QB Lock, G Lewis, TE Parkinson. I still believe the Hawks will go after a lot of Free agents, some high value targets but mostly the 2nd level targets. There are just way to many holes to fill through the draft and WAY to many starter positions. DT, DE, LB ( 2 ) S ( possibly 2 ), Oline all need a starter or two now.

I think Colby Parkinson was under used last season because of Fant and he is a uniquely skilled TE. His size and ability to find open space is special and he lead all TE in TD's on the Seahawks roster even though Fant and Dissly got the lions share of the snaps. He needs more playing time.
Yes at the right price some could be resigned. They could sign a high value target or two by back loading their contract, it's getting to be the norm in the NFL, buy now pay later sort of thing. Not really a fan of that approach unless you feel you could make it to the Super Bowl by doing so. I feel JS will aim to find cheap veterans to fill holes in free agency so as not be forced to reach in the draft. Heck of a lot of free agents at some positions so should be able to get some decent players at cost you like.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
issue is they need starters not borderline vets and those that are starters will be expensive. I say they go for borderline starters that are 27 or younger depending on the position they play of course. Guys that showed something but haven't put it all together yet. Risk reward type deal. Thats why i think they go after Geno Stone. He just fits, and Macdonald has a strong history with this kid who is on the upswing. He would be a 3 year 23-25 million type guy though so 8 mill a year. Not to bad really if he is who he looks like he will be... Jamal Adams sure looked good and then fell off a cliff so that scares me a little but the price is FAR lower and the risk far less. Going to need to find a few guys on this skill level in Free agency.
Yes at the right price some could be resigned. They could sign a high value target or two by back loading their contract, it's getting to be the norm in the NFL, buy now pay later sort of thing. Not really a fan of that approach unless you feel you could make it to the Super Bowl by doing so. I feel JS will aim to find cheap veterans to fill holes in free agency so as not be forced to reach in the draft. Heck of a lot of free agents at some positions so should be able to get some decent players at cost you like.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
issue is they need starters not borderline vets and those that are starters will be expensive. I say they go for borderline starters that are 27 or younger depending on the position they play of course. Guys that showed something but haven't put it all together yet. Risk reward type deal. Thats why i think they go after Geno Stone. He just fits, and Macdonald has a strong history with this kid who is on the upswing. He would be a 3 year 23-25 million type guy though so 8 mill a year. Not to bad really if he is who he looks like he will be... Jamal Adams sure looked good and then fell off a cliff so that scares me a little but the price is FAR lower and the risk far less. Going to need to find a few guys on this skill level in Free agency.
Well when I said vets I wasn't talking about aging players but players like you described. Geno Stone has been mentioned a bunch as a target for the Seahawks by Seahawks draftniks for all the reasons you mentioned. A ton of promising safeties in the market this year so that's a position likely taken care of in free agency.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well when I said vets I wasn't talking about aging players but players like you described. Geno Stone has been mentioned a bunch as a target for the Seahawks by Seahawks draftniks for all the reasons you mentioned. A ton of promising safeties in the market this year so that's a position likely taken care of in free agency.

Yah there's quite a bit of safeties in free agency and I could see them pay someone like Stone, similar to Julian Love's contract. It's good that free agency is quite deep at safety because it's one of the weaker positions in the draft, and Seattle only has 1 starter, and MacDonald's defense routinely runs 3.

Draft is pretty darn deep with respect to OL (guard/tackle namely) and even to an extent interior DL so it'd be nice to focus on that in the draft since those positions generally don't come cheap. Or grab a QB since that position doesn't come cheap either and I don't think Lock will be super cheap.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah there's quite a bit of safeties in free agency and I could see them pay someone like Stone, similar to Julian Love's contract. It's good that free agency is quite deep at safety because it's one of the weaker positions in the draft, and Seattle only has 1 starter, and MacDonald's defense routinely runs 3.

Draft is pretty darn deep with respect to OL (guard/tackle namely) and even to an extent interior DL so it'd be nice to focus on that in the draft since those positions generally don't come cheap. Or grab a QB since that position doesn't come cheap either and I don't think Lock will be super cheap.
This draft has a fair amount of quality OL and at 16 a quality OL say someone like Fautanu should be available, if they trade back though it starts to dicey. For example the Packers have an extra second round pick, if they swap firsts and Seahawks pick up a second round pick they then pick at 25 and then the OL pool would have thinned out and so they could be left picking someone like Graham Barton who value is his versatility and being able to play multiple positions but is a bit of a reach round one. Seahawks actually have youngsters like Bradford, Oluwatimi and Lewis if they want to resign him. OL out of college don't transition well into the NFL a lot of times so maybe they look at OL on the market. At center Lloyd Cushenberry, Conner Williams ( coming off a injury), Andre James could be considered if they aren't to costly and at guard besides maybe resigning Lewis there is Robert Hunt, John Jackson, John Simpson, Dalton Risner or if they can't be signed maybe a gray bread like Zeitler for insurance could be considered.
I feel JS MO is to sign relatively inexpensive players with a bit of experience and track record to fill holes as insurance so he isn't forced to reach to fill a hole and allowing him flexability, he can hold tight and see if a quality player drops to him or trade back, this year moving up would be tough after throwing away a second ( and a 5th) for 8 games from a rent a player but I still think if a prize player drops enough to get in range of moving up a few spots JS will consider it at least. Extra 1st 2nd or 3rd round picks( well the Seahawks do have one extra 3rd) are so nice to fill out a roster and missing one of these rounds is really painful IMO.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah fair points Harold... I don't know they have the capital to trade up... but I think they can fill a number of their holes with some cheaper free agent options.

For the draft, I'd like to stick to positions that are a bit harder to acquire in free agency or typically very expensive like OL/DL/QB. I think we can still find some quality players at those positions by trading down and having a late first and hopefully snagging a 2nd.

There's only so much we can do in free agency this year.... I think we have to fill SOME holes with the draft, and while I think JS has moved away from 'drafting for need', I think the needs we have (QB/IOL/DL) mold nicely with this draft. We have needs of S, ILB as well which does not fit this draft well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the draft, I'd like to stick to positions that are a bit harder to acquire in free agency or typically very expensive like OL/DL/QB.
That does make sense, but at the same time rookies at these positions are harder to grade than say RBs or WRs so you can easily end up with a bust, so a bit of a catch 22.
I think we can still find some quality players by trading down and having a late first and hopefully snagging a 2nd.
Maybe. However need a team interested in moving up enough to offer a second. Drafting late vs the middle of the draft can lead to reaching as your sifting through a pool of players where the obvious cream is off the board at the premium positions and your hoping to find a overlooked gem or under rated player. It's hard to hit late in a round, very hard. It does seem like that may be the course the Seahawks will try take because of course they want a second round pick.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That does make sense, but at the same time rookies at these positions are harder to grade than say RBs or WRs so you can easily end up with a bust, so a bit of a catch 22.

Maybe. However need a team interested in moving up enough to offer a second. Drafting late vs the middle of the draft can lead to reaching as your sifting through a pool of players where the obvious cream is off the board at the premium positions and your hoping to find a overlooked gem or under rated player. It's hard to hit late in a round, very hard. It does seem like that may be the course the Seahawks will try take because of course they want a second round pick.

I really hope we can get Williams resigned. He did very well for us last year... what a waste if that was only for 8 games... :tsk:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope we can get Williams resigned. He did very well for us last year... what a waste if that was only for 8 games... :tsk:
It was a bad move to trade for him period even though he was a good player. 3rd contracts have a terrible track record in the NFL and makes me nervous about resigning Williams who has all the leverage and is going get a good contract offers from teams in need at DL. It's a buy high situation and my feelings are you want to avoid buying high.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a bad move to trade for him period even though he was a good player. 3rd contracts have a terrible track record in the NFL and makes me nervous about resigning Williams who has all the leverage and is going get a good contract offers from teams in need at DL. It's a buy high situation and my feelings are you want to avoid buying high.

Yah, after what happened with Adams (namely the just flat out release and eating the dead cap) I highly doubt Williams is getting a big contract. Sadly I think the team is in a bit of rebuild mode. There are pieces there that we acquired from the RW trade, but I think at the same time MacDonald wants to evaluate those players... If they have a rebound season (for Cross, Lucas namely) and we can develop some of the other picks (I pray to God Hall) fine, let's have the cap cleared to resign...

I don't want to say this season is thrown away by any stretch, but it's obviously (with all the FO changes) a rebuild. Mac is now the youngest HC in the NFL... it's not like he's going anywhere anytime soon... I think it's clear the books, bring in some youth, establish what you can, stop making dumbass trades (I do have to blame Schneider in part for that, although Pete had full control with Adams), and see where you can land in 2025.