• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. You're also going to turn the fanbase and probably even the players against you.

I was never a big fan of the pick (think I gave it an F grade or D- or something.... I remember losing my shit on the board) and I've stood by that. OBVIOUSLY I would LOVE to eat crow, but I don't understand using a top 5 pick on a #2 let alone possible slot corner who is barely 5'11 and 180 lbs when we were already fairly stacked at the position and draft corners so well. I get Seattle has changed a philosophy of draft BPA... but meh.

Either way 258 of 259 players are signed.. Jalen Carter I believe was the first 1st rounder to sign....

I understand you want a bonus early on (especially if you're like Saquon Barkley and you realize you have NO other room to negotiate and it's all in the same year anyway), but Witherspoon's contract is fully guaranteed and there's no negotiating the the overall amount.

NFL should just strip out the ability for agents and players to negotiate the signing bonus. Didn't Michael Crabtree pull this crap but that was before the CBA! I remember he sucked early on because he kept running the wrong routes and it was easy interceptions... probably because.. HE MISSED CAMP which is where you're working that out and building with your own team.

Not to mention, zone is traditionally a bit difficult to play. There's a lot of man cover corners (which Witherspoon did majority) that SUCK in zone. Now man coverage has it's own set of challenges, but if Seattle is back to running their traditional zone that Carroll has always done, Witherspoon needs to get in there and learn that ASAP and start to grow... and if the goal is to play him man nickel the entire year, what the fuck was the point of wasting a #5 overall on that?
Witherspoon was my favorite player to watch game film on hands down. I hear he can play both man and zone really well, so not concerned about that, but I think he's going to have a short career, but great while it last and felt the Seahawks had bigger needs than a CB. DT was the obvious need, but I don't blame the Seahawks for passing on Carter who had issues with his weight and conditioning in college, we all know these things only get harder with every passing year. Not participating in the combine is one thing, not getting in shape for your pro day is another thing and a major red flag because it impacts where you get drafted and that should be enough to motivate a player, blowing it off is a really bad sign and Carter had other issues also. Maybe Carter over comes his issues with maturity, but the odds are not good IMO. After Carter there wasn't anyone at DT worth reaching for with the 5th pick. Guess we'll see how it all works out.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't bode well. Usually inking draft picks is a simple process thanks to the CBA, the fact that Witherspoon is holding out as a rookie makes you wonder how extending or resigning him will go down the road. It's not like Witherspoon is missing out on money, the contract is guaranteed. I don't like this at all.
Seems like a Prima-donna already... Just like that due from the Carolina Panthers a few years back...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witherspoon was my favorite player to watch game film on hands down. I hear he can play both man and zone really well, so not concerned about that, but I think he's going to have a short career, but great while it last and felt the Seahawks had bigger needs than a CB. DT was the obvious need, but I don't blame the Seahawks for passing on Carter who had issues with his weight and conditioning in college, we all know these things only get harder with every passing year. Not participating in the combine is one thing, not getting in shape for your pro day is another thing and a major red flag because it impacts where you get drafted and that should be enough to motivate a player, blowing it off is a really bad sign and Carter had other issues also. Maybe Carter over comes his issues with maturity, but the odds are not good IMO. After Carter there wasn't anyone at DT worth reaching for with the 5th pick. Guess we'll see how it all works out.
I'm still going to be pissed off if Carter has a great career...

Reactions: MrS

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to sources Jalen Carter looks pretty good and Jason Kelce was VERY impressed (one of the best Centers to play the game).

Now of course the same could be said about Witherspoon in Seattle, oh wait... he's not at training camp... :L

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember James Carpenter who always came to camp 20 to 40 pounds overweight and totally out of shape? Players that love to eat but hate working out and have to be pushed and pushed hard to keep semi in shape IMO need to be avoided. That's just my personal complaint or dislike when it comes to players and I feel Carter fits the mold.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to sources Jalen Carter looks pretty good and Jason Kelce was VERY impressed (one of the best Centers to play the game).

Now of course the same could be said about Witherspoon in Seattle, oh wait... he's not at training camp... :L
This is the time of year you hear comments like......"He's in the best shape of his life" and every rookie looks FANTASTIC!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the time of year you hear comments like......"He's in the best shape of his life" and every rookie looks FANTASTIC!

Oh that was my point lol. Everyone gets hyped about their rookie. I've heard Jaxon Smith already looks like a natural and will be a massive asset to Seattle. Eskridge made a HUGE play in TC (lol).

About the only thing I got that was interesting from TC for Seattle, was Jarran Reed starting at NT? I dunno if he put on more weight/muscle in the offseason, but I didn't see that one coming. He's usually been a 3-tech or 3-4 DE.... him being a NT seems weird... and that means we have a hole at DE again. I wonder if they bring back Harris for cheap. There's actually a decent amount of 3-4 DEs available (non-EDGE).

As for Witherspoon... I gotta say there was a number of fans that were not too happy with the pick... now you're the only rookie that hasn't signed and missing valuable camp time... he's not doing any favors for himself getting in with the locker room or fanbase. And sorry, you're not a QB.... you're a CB... Not even a top 3 valued position (QB, OT, DE/EDGE).

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carter will have health issues and then Sandbag in his returns from them Like Jamal Adams. He will play well enough to sign that 2nd contract then poof. Mark my words.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anderson got like $22M and was a couple picks earlier... Richardson got upper $21M...

Paris Johnson got around $17M as was the 6th overall. I'd argue all the other picks were far more value (QB, T, EDGE) compared to CB... if he was really holding out for an extra $1M signing bonus... Thibodeaux got about $1M less for comparison (and rookie contracts haven't gone up THAT much from 2022).

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres potential this pick goes down as one of the great blunders in draft history. Potential.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres potential this pick goes down as one of the great blunders in draft history. Potential.

I mean I'd still argue CB was not a HUGE position of need. I get Carter dropped off the map after the two incidents (car crash and crappy pro day) but he was the best talent in the draft. YES there was motivational issues in College and yah I had a concern... I was thinking Wilson after all the news but Tyree is already injured so if there was concerns about that it is what it is. Van Ness was probably too early at #5... but what's funny is now we have a big hole at DE because Reed is lining up at NT. Maybe that's temporary or Myles Adams is ready to go?

Witherspoon has to basically be Sauce Gardner shut down CB to be worth the #5 pick. He needs to come out of the gates and be putting up pro bowls ROY candidate and PFF grades of 80+. Jalen Carter? Given the value at the position (FAR superior to a CB) I would've been fine with maybe some pro bowl votes and a 70 PFF grade.

Hey if Witherspoon comes out and becomes a Sauce/Ramsey/Slay/Surtain type CB... fine. That's a tall order. I'm also not a huge fan how a 5'10-5'11 180 lb CB is throwing his body and making huge hits... if he plays like that in the NFL I'd be surprised to see him out there a full season. NFL players are too big/too strong.

I know it sounds like I'm rooting against him.. I'm not. I hope he's the best corner in the league after next season and I will GLADLY eat crow. That said, I liked the other picks. I think I was one of the few (various sites, this site, etc.) that loved the Charbonnet pick. And despite Taylor getting better as the season went on, I think Hall just replaces him entirely after this season on passing downs. Mafe/Nwosu will likely be the starting 3-4 edge rushers.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anderson got like $22M and was a couple picks earlier... Richardson got upper $21M...

Paris Johnson got around $17M as was the 6th overall. I'd argue all the other picks were far more value (QB, T, EDGE) compared to CB... if he was really holding out for an extra $1M signing bonus... Thibodeaux got about $1M less for comparison (and rookie contracts haven't gone up THAT much from 2022).

He wants more money at the start of the contract, Hawks want to back load it. Thats the sticking point.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Reportedly, the negotiation is over how much CASH Witherspoon will receive when he signs his contract. If he wants as much as Anderson, that would be $17,085,000 in cash."

"As an example—this is not inside information, just an example—it could be that the Seahawks want to give Witherspoon $15 million upfront and $6 million next year, while Witherspoon wants all $21 million right now."

Even after freeing up cap room they don't have enough to do what Witherspoon wants unless they free up another 6-8 million. Pete and John have both stated they want around 6 to 10 million of space for in season signings. From what i also hear he thinks he is worth more than Anderson because unlike Anderson he is the best CB in the draft and Anderson wasn't the Best QB. This is stupid to me because QB's are valued WAY different than CB so it doesnt hold water. When i heard that i was like nah thats can't be true because i don't think he is "that stupid" to not know the value of a QB over a CB.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Reportedly, the negotiation is over how much CASH Witherspoon will receive when he signs his contract. If he wants as much as Anderson, that would be $17,085,000 in cash."

"As an example—this is not inside information, just an example—it could be that the Seahawks want to give Witherspoon $15 million upfront and $6 million next year, while Witherspoon wants all $21 million right now."

Even after freeing up cap room they don't have enough to do what Witherspoon wants unless they free up another 6-8 million. Pete and John have both stated they want around 6 to 10 million of space for in season signings. From what i also hear he thinks he is worth more than Anderson because unlike Anderson he is the best CB in the draft and Anderson wasn't the Best QB. This is stupid to me because QB's are valued WAY different than CB so it doesnt hold water. When i heard that i was like nah thats can't be true because i don't think he is "that stupid" to not know the value of a QB over a CB.

Interesting, and assuming you meant Richardson (not Anderson)? I agree a QB should be in a better position to negotiate. CB probably isn't top 5 (QB, OT, DL, DE/EDGE, probably WR after...). I guess it could be arguable the position is top 5 (since it directly generally counters good outside receivers and QBs), but WRs seem to be getting paid more. Also it seems MUCH harder to find a good ILB and guard in free agency. Tight ends, runningbacks, corners, safeties always seem to be floatin' around.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are correct I meant Richardson. Guess i still have Anderson on the brain because thats who i wanted for our #1 pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nwosu contract seems team friendly to me, here it is:

1690727924800.png

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say it's team friendly i would say all by one year is very manageable as that 2025 season is a slap in the face at 21million cap hit for a 29 year old. Will have to wait and see if he is a 16+ sack type guy that season because thats the type of money he will be paid. there are only 4 DE that make 21 mill or more in the NFL right now.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say it's team friendly i would say all by one year is very manageable as that 2025 season is a slap in the face at 21million cap hit for a 29 year old. Will have to wait and see if he is a 16+ sack type guy that season because thats the type of money he will be paid. there are only 4 DE that make 21 mill or more in the NFL right now.
Year 2025 he can be cut and save 8.4 million in cap space if they want to. Also salaries will look different in 2025, they'll be higher, likely much higher and 21 million may not look that bad. In the meantime his cap hit in 2023 is only 10 million and actually goes down in 2024 to 8.1 million. I'd would call that team friendly contract.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Year 2025 he can be cut and save 8.4 million in cap space if they want to. Also salaries will look different in 2025, they'll be higher, likely much higher and 21 million may not look that bad. In the meantime his cap hit in 2023 is only 10 million and actually goes down in 2024 to 8.1 million. I'd would call that team friendly contract.

Well if you add in "What if's" then yeah you can make anything look better.

I love Nwosu and love that they extended him but he isn't a top 10 DE. Now if he becomes one great but thats another what if.