• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alton Robinson cut and diggs restructured

That should be enough if Diggs whole 2023 salary is now set as a signing bonus. Only issue is 2024 would be a huge hit in his final season as the "signing Bonus" is on the books along with his 2024 salary. The Hawks should be somewhere around 11 million under the cap if thats what Diggs did and that should be enough to sign the last 2 unsigned picks and have money for a in season move. At least one of our safeties is playing team ball.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should be enough if Diggs whole 2023 salary is now set as a signing bonus. Only issue is 2024 would be a huge hit in his final season as the "signing Bonus" is on the books along with his 2024 salary. The Hawks should be somewhere around 11 million under the cap if thats what Diggs did and that should be enough to sign the last 2 unsigned picks and have money for a in season move. At least one of our safeties is playing team ball.
This article gives you all the moves, who been signed, who been cut etc.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perry is the other Nose tackle they needed so not to many moves if any left on the defensive front but that doesn't mean they wont shuffle it ( Release and sign someone else ). I thought they might try and bring back Shelby Harris and maybe they still do but i doubt it. Glad they got Zach into camp. Releasing Robinson hurts a little as he looked like a player with some upside but like Jamal Adams, he had issues getting on the field missing all of last season.

I'm looking at this CB room and is it possible Tre Brown doesn't make the team? Looks like thats has a 50/50 chance of happening as thats the strongest group on the team. Would suck but he can't get on the field. DJ Dallas might be a guy that gets released also as the only thing going for him is his special teams play at best.

Also WHY DO WE SUCK SO BAD AT SCREEN PASSES!!!??!?!?!?!?!

That 100% falls onto the OC.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perry is the other Nose tackle they needed so not to many moves if any left on the defensive front but that doesn't mean they wont shuffle it ( Release and sign someone else ). I thought they might try and bring back Shelby Harris and maybe they still do but i doubt it. Glad they got Zach into camp. Releasing Robinson hurts a little as he looked like a player with some upside but like Jamal Adams, he had issues getting on the field missing all of last season.

I'm looking at this CB room and is it possible Tre Brown doesn't make the team? Looks like thats has a 50/50 chance of happening as thats the strongest group on the team. Would suck but he can't get on the field. DJ Dallas might be a guy that gets released also as the only thing going for him is his special teams play at best.

Also WHY DO WE SUCK SO BAD AT SCREEN PASSES!!!??!?!?!?!?!

That 100% falls onto the OC.

As long as I've watched Carroll's Seahawks, the screen pass has always baffled me.

With regards to offense, how we a) never use it even when getting blitzed, b) even when we get blitzed it gets picked up or blown up. So many times when Seattle was getting blitzed constantly or the box was crowded (happened all the time with Arizona as they blitz the most out of anyone) I would be like, "RUN A SCREEN!!" And they just never would lol... I don't know if Wilson just couldn't operate it or whatever, but we never ran it. And then when they finally did, it was like a 5 yard loss or went for like 2 yards lol. I guess it's been a while since we had a good receiving back (Lynch was more power back) which Charbonet is so maybe it changes.

And then, defensively.... I swear our team gets gashed by it all the time. It's like 3rd and 8 and I'm saying aloud, "WATCH THE SCREEN!!" We blitz... and sure the fuck enough... screen for 15-20 yards.

It'd be interesting to see how much screens are called by the QB making an audible. Wilson IMO was NEVER good at pre-snap reading a defense and I don't think Carroll trusted him much to call audibles. He preferred Wilson just go with what he said. So when a screen is finally called, it's not an element of surprise, and the defenses probably recognize the formation pretty quick.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We run a High number of poorly designed WR screens also. Our WR screens are hands down the worst in the league. DK is not a YAC type guy but should be, Lockett avoids contact to preserve his health and is not a blocker. JSN should help in the WR screen passes but that doesn't remove the piss poor design we have in ALL our screens. Homer had the most success with screen passes and he is gone.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockett, Fant and Walker all have a better YAC than DK Metcalf and that needs to change. Yep you heard me right Lockett who avoids contact has a higher YAC than DK. DK needs or should be in that 450-550 YAC range for a season he is normally in that 100-250 range and i believe only one season was he over 300. ( 2020 ) I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockett, Fant and Walker all have a better YAC than DK Metcalf and that needs to change. Yep you heard me right Lockett who avoids contact has a higher YAC than DK. DK needs or should be in that 450-550 YAC range for a season he is normally in that 100-250 range and i believe only one season was he over 300. ( 2020 ) I could be wrong.

Well, DK has significantly dropped in YAC year over year... corners are playing a little more off him to negate deep passes, but I think it's also that most of DKs catches are fairly contested. Yes he can beat people with speed/size which is why they're playing off him, but the huge YAC guys are very crisp route runners who get a LOT of separation... Lockett is also a very consistent catcher and good route runner, but was never known for being a huge YAC guy (yah it's better than DK but last year it was still low). It's just not really either of their game. And since corners have been playing off DK more often, his ability to torch deep and just burn past people with speed isn't happening as often. And DK really doesn't do any complex route running or jukes/etc. He just kind of out-physicals everyone and then tries to just plow through em lol.

I think some might be the adjustment to DK, some could be Geno, some is Lockett just due to his size/athleticism was prob. never going to be a HUGE YAC guy... and then I think also some is 100% the play design and the system we run. Seattle is horrible at running screens, they never seem to excel too much at crossing/drag routes (Wilson hated them, OLINE was fairly new last year, those take time to develop).

That said, JSN's ENTIRE attractiveness from College was his ability to get separation via crisp route running and YAC so it will be VERY interesting to see how his numbers are towards the end of the season.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We run a High number of poorly designed WR screens also. Our WR screens are hands down the worst in the league. DK is not a YAC type guy but should be, Lockett avoids contact to preserve his health and is not a blocker. JSN should help in the WR screen passes but that doesn't remove the piss poor design we have in ALL our screens. Homer had the most success with screen passes and he is gone.
Those bubble screens to WR's drive me crazy because we poorly execute them each time...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not want DK trying to YAC anything how many fumbles does he have from trying to muscle defenders only to get mauled by 4-5 defenders.

I see that Devon Witherspoon still has not signed hopefully this doesn't take away from too much camp time. The first preseason game is about 2 weeks away.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not want DK trying to YAC anything how many fumbles does he have from trying to muscle defenders only to get mauled by 4-5 defenders.

I see that Devon Witherspoon still has not signed hopefully this doesn't take away from too much camp time. The first preseason game is about 2 weeks away.

Witherspoon not signing is baffling. His contract is defined by the CBA, at least the money is.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witherspoon not signing is baffling. His contract is defined by the CBA, at least the money is.
Yeah, I don't get it... Unless he's holding out for the amount of money he gets up front...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's true, but he can negotiate more of it to be upfront as a signing bonus. You can't go over the CBA but I believe you can get paid a bit more up front. His agent is probably holding things up... Meanwhile Jalen Carter was the first to sign lol...

Again as most of you know, I was not a fan of the Witherspoon pick. Despite my opinion, I'm hoping he crushes it regardless. Jackson was playing well enough last year, Bryant was a ballhawk and was out of position (not a slot), and I thought with acquiring Love that was our backup safety or he'd switch to nickel.

I don't even know how the hell they're going to get a bunch of these guys on the field.... lol. I then letting go of Ryan Neal for that cheap was baffling. I guess Seattle's plan is to run exclusively a 3-3-5.. which is odd to me...

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, but he can negotiate more of it to be upfront as a signing bonus. You can't go over the CBA but I believe you can get paid a bit more up front. His agent is probably holding things up... Meanwhile Jalen Carter was the first to sign lol...

Again as most of you know, I was not a fan of the Witherspoon pick. Despite my opinion, I'm hoping he crushes it regardless. Jackson was playing well enough last year, Bryant was a ballhawk and was out of position (not a slot), and I thought with acquiring Love that was our backup safety or he'd switch to nickel.

I don't even know how the hell they're going to get a bunch of these guys on the field.... lol. I then letting go of Ryan Neal for that cheap was baffling. I guess Seattle's plan is to run exclusively a 3-3-5.. which is odd to me...

This is not a great sign. Missing practices will hurt his readiness for the season and it seems like every time someone misses most of training camp, they wind up getting hurt and having a lost season.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Witherspoon is due a four-year contract worth a guaranteed $31.8 million as the terms of being selected fifth overall, though there appears to be an impasse around bonus money he would be due.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a great sign. Missing practices will hurt his readiness for the season and it seems like every time someone misses most of training camp, they wind up getting hurt and having a lost season.

Nope, not at all... Not to mention the rookie contract is fully guaranteed. He just wants a lot of the money now and to be a bonus.. which is prima donna-esque. Little discouraging when every other 1st round pick has signed and is at camp.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, not at all... Not to mention the rookie contract is fully guaranteed. He just wants a lot of the money now and to be a bonus.. which is prima donna-esque. Little discouraging when every other 1st round pick has signed and is at camp.

I'm not going to make that assumption just yet as it is possible that his agent is the one pushing this.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just every other 1st rounder, 258 of the 259 total draft picks are signed except for him..

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are having issues with how much money the contract is front loaded with. Witherspoon wants a big chunk now. Seahawks don't have the room to do that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just every other 1st rounder, 258 of the 259 total draft picks are signed except for him..
This doesn't bode well. Usually inking draft picks is a simple process thanks to the CBA, the fact that Witherspoon is holding out as a rookie makes you wonder how extending or resigning him will go down the road. It's not like Witherspoon is missing out on money, the contract is guaranteed. I don't like this at all.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't bode well. Usually inking draft picks is a simple process thanks to the CBA, the fact that Witherspoon is holding out as a rookie makes you wonder how extending or resigning him will go down the road. It's not like Witherspoon is missing out on money, the contract is guaranteed. I don't like this at all.

Agreed. You're also going to turn the fanbase and probably even the players against you.

I was never a big fan of the pick (think I gave it an F grade or D- or something.... I remember losing my shit on the board) and I've stood by that. OBVIOUSLY I would LOVE to eat crow, but I don't understand using a top 5 pick on a #2 let alone possible slot corner who is barely 5'11 and 180 lbs when we were already fairly stacked at the position and draft corners so well. I get Seattle has changed a philosophy of draft BPA... but meh.

Either way 258 of 259 players are signed.. Jalen Carter I believe was the first 1st rounder to sign....

I understand you want a bonus early on (especially if you're like Saquon Barkley and you realize you have NO other room to negotiate and it's all in the same year anyway), but Witherspoon's contract is fully guaranteed and there's no negotiating the the overall amount.

NFL should just strip out the ability for agents and players to negotiate the signing bonus. Didn't Michael Crabtree pull this crap but that was before the CBA! I remember he sucked early on because he kept running the wrong routes and it was easy interceptions... probably because.. HE MISSED CAMP which is where you're working that out and building with your own team.

Not to mention, zone is traditionally a bit difficult to play. There's a lot of man cover corners (which Witherspoon did majority) that SUCK in zone. Now man coverage has it's own set of challenges, but if Seattle is back to running their traditional zone that Carroll has always done, Witherspoon needs to get in there and learn that ASAP and start to grow... and if the goal is to play him man nickel the entire year, what the fuck was the point of wasting a #5 overall on that?