• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off-season news 2024

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bloodbath at espn, Steve young, Suzy kolber, Todd effing mcshay, matt hasselbeck all out
Max Kellerman was let go, too... Couldn't have happened to a better bozo... Same w/ Geraldo Rivera getting the axe at Fox as well...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bloodbath at espn, Steve young, Suzy kolber, Todd effing mcshay, matt hasselbeck all out
I could be biased because I was a big Matt Hasselbeck fan back in the day, but I really liked him as a commentator.

At first I was surprised by Todd McShay, but given the fact that they were probably paying him a boatload just for draft coverage when they already have Mel Kiper Jr., it kind of makes sense.

Disney has been cutting a lot across the company and ESPN gave Pat McAfee a huge deal.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like McAfee but I wonder how much restraint espn will put on him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like McAfee but I wonder how much restraint espn will put on him.

His YouTube is pretty successful and he's pretty open on it (complete with swear language and everything). Obviously he wont be able to swear on ESPN, but to your point it'll be interesting to see how much they try to reel him in. Kind of like a small Howard Stern story lol. "ALL BITS, and I DO MEAN ALL BITS, WILL GO THROUGH ME! WELCOME TO ESPN, PAT!" :pound:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat also likes to talk shit and poke if you get what I mean. He doesn't seem like a fit for ESPN when you think about it but they are trying to pull in a "popular, well liked and loved personality" and hey maybe they want him to take over a shit talking Stephen Smith's type role which is 100% fine with me. Maybe they Fire/Release Smith next. Sorry if you guys like Smith but I flat out hate the guy and how "uber important" and "how right" he thinks his opinions are. Only like it when I see him ripping on the Dallas Cowboys and their clueless fans LMAO.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not really surprised by the moves I don't know why people think that former players are great personalities to cover their sport. Don't get me wrong I am sure they provide great background knowledge but they aren't TV personalities. Keyshawn Johnson and Jay Williams were super boring to listen to. There is a reason why Stephen A is super animated when he talks.

Also with Pat McAfee I have never seen a guy bank so much since leaving football from his deal with fanduel and I can't even imagine how much ESPN is paying him to be brought on board for the show.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$20m per year is what I saw, probably more than he made in his entire playing career.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat also likes to talk shit and poke if you get what I mean. He doesn't seem like a fit for ESPN when you think about it but they are trying to pull in a "popular, well liked and loved personality" and hey maybe they want him to take over a shit talking Stephen Smith's type role which is 100% fine with me. Maybe they Fire/Release Smith next. Sorry if you guys like Smith but I flat out hate the guy and how "uber important" and "how right" he thinks his opinions are. Only like it when I see him ripping on the Dallas Cowboys and their clueless fans LMAO.
Most of ESPN's content is more "entertainment," than actual insightful sports commentary. Guys like Skip and Stephen A. fit that perfectly.

I think what they want is "put a bunch of personalities in a room and watch them banter," as opposed to "put a bunch of experts in and watch them debate." The former is objectively more interesting to most than the later.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I figured he would get an extension.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I figured he would get an extension.
I hate that the NFL has a salary cap. Seahawks had to give him this ridiculous deal because we needed to clear space to pay Witherspoon, Charbonnet and have some money to perhaps bring in a vet. This deal will make him the 8th highest paid edge rusher in the NFL per year. Nwosu is above average, but is he worth that kind of cap constraint?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that the NFL has a salary cap. Seahawks had to give him this ridiculous deal because we needed to clear space to pay Witherspoon, Charbonnet and have some money to perhaps bring in a vet. This deal will make him the 8th highest paid edge rusher in the NFL per year. Nwosu is above average, but is he worth that kind of cap constraint?

They still dont have enough cap space to sign their draft picks that are unsigned and have 5-7million for inseason signings. However, thankfully freeing up like 6 to 8 million would do it. Cutting Adams frees up almost 9 million.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets wait to hear the details of the contract because when they first announce these contracts they usual make it sound much more expensive that it is. Contracts keep spiraling upwards at a alarming rate, what ever it costs this year to extend a good player, next year it would cost more to resign him most likely.
After last season I feel the Seahawks were planning to extend Nwosu. I'm guessing the bargaining was a tough go since he has Rosenhaus as a agent. They also could have extended Fant, but was that a good idea ?
Here's a article breaking down the limited options the Seahawks had:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks still need cap room. Someone with a fat contract is going to either have to restructure or be cut. While on that topic i want to bring something up. A torn Quad injury, you all know what that is right?

Torn Quad how long to heal?
"Typically, after 10-12 weeks the injury has healed. The patient may resume normal activities after they have full range of motion and quadriceps strength. This can be anywhere from 3-6 months after the injury."

Jamal Adams missed the INTIRE SEASON with a torn quad and the Seahawks have said they are unsure yet if he will be ready for week 1. Dude is sandbagging, cut bait.

Seahawks would then have enough room to sign the remaining unsigned picks and have 4-6mill of cap space.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops entire not the archaic variant ( intire )

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks have 2 of the NFL's 3 remaining unsigned draft picks. :L

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nwosu signed a 3 year extension... Great move to keep him for another 3 yrs... Also frees up a little bit of cap space...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nwosu signing was okay. He was the best linebacker on the team last year and nearly got to double digit sacks. I think as the season went on he wore down a bit but hopefully Hall and Mafe will help give him some reps off this season. I think $20M is a bit much, but he's still young so he can improve. His contract will end basically when he hits 30 (in December I believe) so this is fine. I think I gave it a C grade? Maybe that's a bit harsh but I certainly can't give it a bargain signing (which would've been a 3 year $35-40M thing).

Diggs restructured his salary to a bonus I think to help Nwosu's signing and the rookies.

The big head scratcher this season is what the hell are we going to do with Love (Safety)? It seems like Witherspoon may kick into a nickel corner on a 3-3-5 setup (with Jackson on the outside) which leaves no room for Love. Maybe it's just a contingency of Adams isn't ready to go or gets injured (again)...

Started a Madden 08 season with updated rosters, and I actually had trouble figuring out when to play Love lol. I think I finally moved Adams to a linebacker on certain plays with Love taking over at SS or certain setups where Witherspoon stayed outside and Love played nickel. I like that signing because both safeties may go down at some point, but I feel our secondary almost has too many bodies. Now that's not a bad problem to have, but on our DL/LBer group, we have NO bodies beyond some of the starters (namely DL and rush LBer).

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile the 49ers have their headaches:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile the 49ers have their headaches:

eh that's whatever. Bosa already has a pretty high cap hit this year so giving him a new contract isn't gonna matter. And given his talent if anything it's best to keep him out of TC/practice and make sure he stays healthy. I have zero doubt that contract will get done. San Fran is just keeping other urgent matters as a priority.

Yah, you could argue he helps the younger guys but meh. Sometimes guys aren't natural leaders and some guys that play the same position can't be taught, so that's a moot point. And San Fran's OL is already borderline elite so it's not like he's helping them prepare for anything.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alton Robinson cut and diggs restructured