• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Off Season Entertainment

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At that end of the income scale, anything you can do to improve family conditions is admirable - not just acceptable!

I was very poor. I'd hate to be judged for some of the things I did as a young man.
I poched deer. Sold avacados off other people's trees, etc.
I agree at first I was taken back thinking it was fraud or fraud like in it's nature. After a day or two I reconsidered, I thought all the man is trying to do is provide more options for his children. Now had I seen him partying the money away that would be a horse of a different color

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morality Question: I knew a guy use to get the old Food Stamps. He stated what he was given was not enough to support his family so two weekends of the month he would set up and sell BBQ. The money he would make from the BBQ would often more than double what he got in stamps.

Do you feel this is morally wrong or are you okay with it?
Food service businesses are often highly regulated by various levels of government. A permanent or most-of-the-time business would attract regulation. If he's prepping the meat in anything other than an approved kitchen, he's getting a cease and desist.

No, what he's doing is probably not legal, but the cost of compliance could make it a financial loser. I had a girlfriend who had graduated from the Cordon Bleu in Paris. She was making and selling pastry at home. No big production, but they shut her down for using wood cutting boards.

Morally, feeding your family ranks higher than complying with government regulations to me.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food service businesses are often highly regulated by various levels of government. A permanent or most-of-the-time business would attract regulation. If he's prepping the meat in anything other than an approved kitchen, he's getting a cease and desist.

No, what he's doing is probably not legal, but the cost of compliance could make it a financial loser. I had a girlfriend who had graduated from the Cordon Bleu in Paris. She was making and selling pastry at home. No big production, but they shut her down for using wood cutting boards.

Morally, feeding your family ranks higher than complying with government regulations to me.
I have said for many years - there are no legal small business's
Our capitalist business system is designed to hold back small business.
I owned my own smal business's for 35 years - and then another 10 as a kid!

I took a job for one month 30 years ago in Charlotte. It was a multi-million dollar bisiness.
The wanted me to bid and win city contracts. They were not paying city taxes!
Owner and I agreed to disagree. I did not want to be his scapegoat when they got caught!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Providing food foe one's family is not a crime in my mind.

My question is this. Why was he on Food Stamps? Unemployment? Disabled? If he could rustle up meat to BBQ for other people on the weekends, where did that meat come from? Hopefully not the Food Stamps.

You say he had to do it because it provided more income than food stamps.

I knew a gal who got food stamps every month. She sold them to a local neighborhood store for $.75 on a $1.00 stamp. She then bought "H" from a distributor and recut it. She sold the stuff for $15 a tin. Her $780 of stamp money was about $4000 a month in drug sales. That and she sold her ass at $50-$100 a pop. I never sampled the goods or her goods. Don't know what ever happened to her. One day, she and her kid were gone and I never saw or heard about her again.

With all of the bodies turning up in Lake Meade, I wonder if she might have moved there?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Providing food foe one's family is not a crime in my mind.

My question is this. Why was he on Food Stamps? Unemployment? Disabled? If he could rustle up meat to BBQ for other people on the weekends, where did that meat come from? Hopefully not the Food Stamps.

You say he had to do it because it provided more income than food stamps.
If he bought $50 of meat with the food stamps, put in X hours of prepping/smoking with the cost of seasoning, wood etc or the time to cut and season wood and then sold the meat for $100?

I'm good.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morality Question: I knew a guy use to get the old Food Stamps. He stated what he was given was not enough to support his family so two weekends of the month he would set up and sell BBQ. The money he would make from the BBQ would often more than double what he got in stamps.

Do you feel this is morally wrong or are you okay with it?
Of course it's morally wrong, but not so deep that I would judge it too harshly. Government programs punish those who need a little help in favor of those not capable of improving themselves.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all of the bodies turning up in Lake Meade, I wonder if she might have moved there?
Providing food for the family is not a crime - selling drugs is!
Whenever you are selling drugs to feed a family, you are destroying other families and maybe your own.

She is probably in hell where she belongs!

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Providing food for the family is not a crime - selling drugs is!
Whenever you are selling drugs to feed a family, you are destroying other families and maybe your own.

She is probably in hell where she belongs!
I find that whole story suspect, not that BK isn't passing an actual word of mouth "story", just that if you make that much money one month from selling the drugs do you need to sell the next month's stamps to finance the next month's drug inventory? If the "getting stamps" and "selling drugs" are both true, the two transactions probably happened, but not related to each. Scumbags do scummy things and there's a difference between supplementing your income harmlessly and trading drugs like H and phentynol.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find that whole story suspect, not that BK isn't passing an actual word of mouth "story", just that if you make that much money one month from selling the drugs do you need to sell the next month's stamps to finance the next month's drug inventory? If the "getting stamps" and "selling drugs" are both true, the two transactions probably happened, but not related to each. Scumbags do scummy things and there's a difference between supplementing your income harmlessly and trading drugs like H and phentynol.
I've known people from my former life that received, collected, traded and sold food stamps.
They also sold drugs.
While this chick of BK's may not have sold the stamps to fund the initial drug purchase, selling of both is very common.
Kind of a "whatever it takes to not really work" mentality that many degenerates have.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've known people from my former life that received, collected, traded and sold food stamps.
They also sold drugs.

While this chick of BK's may not have sold the stamps to fund the initial drug purchase, selling of both is very common.
Kind of a "whatever it takes to not really work" mentality that many degenerates have.
That's what I said. :)

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had the Android on shuffle one of my favorite and vastly underrated artists came on. Why this man is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame baffles me especially when the likes of The Go Go's, Kiss, Notrious BIG are all in, anyway.

Better Warren Zevon Song.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had the Android on shuffle one of my favorite and vastly underrated artists came on. Why this man is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame baffles me especially when the likes of The Go Go's, Kiss, Notrious BIG are all in, anyway.

He is definitely in mine.
He had so much promise before his passing.
Now you got me thinking about

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mr. Bad Example.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Underrated? By who? Mainstream? He was more of a niche guy, but a niche I appreciate.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Werewolves of London on the car radio a few days ago.

For the contest, Excitable Boy.

For the HOF? Maybe too small a body of work, but yeah, he did influence people and what he did put out was pretty memorable.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Werewolves of London on the car radio a few days ago.

For the contest, Excitable Boy.

For the HOF? Maybe too small a body of work, but yeah, he did influence people and what he did put out was pretty memorable.
Had he lived longer, his influence would have grown.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Underrated? By who? Mainstream? He was more of a niche guy, but a niche I appreciate.
His lyrics were great as was his music. He is not even considered by the rock and roll HOF yet Kiss and the friggin Go Gos are in