• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Off Season Entertainment

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem is my wife is disabled and home alone with the thermostat while I'm working.
(Grumble)
I have mine set to reset every couple hours so they can be kicked up for whatever reason and they'll return back shortly.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can be both. And programmable thermostats are a great idea if you're not home a lot. My new A/C has that I like it.
Honestly, it's exactly that. It's not just about being cheap or green. I just don't like being wasteful...

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking into solar now that I have sunshine all day covering my roof. May even invest in a couple of those giant batteries that can store up to seven days worth of electrical each.

It's been in mid to upper nineties since we moved in and the a/c is at 76. We're doing so much work both inside and out that it's a hurry up going in and out.

Considering buying a giant industrial fan for the garage. I spent two hours out there opening and organizing boxes and lost four pounds. I've lost almost ten pounds since we moved in.

Recycle everything.

Shower every other day. Unless I really work up a sweat.

Considering installing an outdoor shower connected to a well that provides ground water to my irrigation system.

Constantly check tire pressure. Only takes a minute to do all four. Have a foot pump to inflate if need be.

Will be completely redoing my irrigation system. Have about six too many head that will be capped and twelve new efficient sprinkler heads.

Will be looking at a tankless hot water system. It was about $9000 in NH because of the cold and snow. Won't have that effect here in Florida.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking into solar now that I have sunshine all day covering my roof. May even invest in a couple of those giant batteries that can store up to seven days worth of electrical each.

It's been in mid to upper nineties since we moved in and the a/c is at 76. We're doing so much work both inside and out that it's a hurry up going in and out.

Considering buying a giant industrial fan for the garage. I spent two hours out there opening and organizing boxes and lost four pounds. I've lost almost ten pounds since we moved in.

Recycle everything.

Shower every other day. Unless I really work up a sweat.

Considering installing an outdoor shower connected to a well that provides ground water to my irrigation system.

Constantly check tire pressure. Only takes a minute to do all four. Have a foot pump to inflate if need be.

Will be completely redoing my irrigation system. Have about six too many head that will be capped and twelve new efficient sprinkler heads.

Will be looking at a tankless hot water system. It was about $9000 in NH because of the cold and snow. Won't have that effect here in Florida.
BK If you're in a HOA check first on the Solar bro. Also if you have gable or vented ends in attic look into exhaust fans that kick on in the attic, normally they kick on around 110 and pull out hot air. The direction your house faces determines solar effectiveness.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when it re-sets she overrides it
But meanwhile you've done your best under the circumstance. I learned a valuable lesson from a cheap uncle. It's one thing to be cheap, it's another to make those around you miserable.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BK If you're in a HOA check first on the Solar bro. Also if you have gable or vented ends in attic look into exhaust fans that kick on in the attic, normally they kick on around 110 and pull out hot air. The direction your house faces determines solar effectiveness.
Not in an HOA. House faces generally NE. No attic vents. Looking at those too, but considering down vents through the soffits with small motors.
Looks like Florida has a few programs that are available for solar installation. Have to study them a bit more closely. Guy next door just installed an array for his swimming pool.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not in an HOA. House faces generally NE. No attic vents. Looking at those too, but considering down vents through the soffits with small motors.
Looks like Florida has a few programs that are available for solar installation. Have to study them a bit more closely. Guy next door just installed an array for his swimming pool.
NE is really good for panels. I have done some research not a lot yet but some. A few things I noted to explore before contacting vendors.

1. Types of Solar Panels there are different types and some better than others.
2. Life expectancy of each type panel.
3. Whole home Solar or Partial home solar, % you want to offset cost. Get with your electric provider see if they can give you data of monthly charges for the past year or an estimate. It's good data to have.
4. Storage capacity.
5. Batter life expectancy and current cost to replace all. They will want to avoid this question but it's good data for the consumer to have.
6. Determine where you will mount battery box. You don't want it to be an eyesore and the installer will likely want to place it closest to where your electrical enters the house or your panel. That may not be optimal for you, you will pay more for the install because it may require a longer electrical run but it's worth it if you want it where you want it. ( I went through this with my Generac, paid more but it's where I wanted it.
7. Any state or federal rebates.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone talks about ROI. Truth is, I might be around for another 15 years if I'm lucky, so ROI is of little consideration to me. Out of pocket cost and reduction of electrical cost is more important to us oldies. Then adding other investments like tankless HW. So if I spend $15,000 on improved electrical, what will be my annual savings starting now? If it approaches $1500-$2000, then I'm all in. Anything less than $1200 and I'll play on E-Trade.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another option...

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone talks about ROI. Truth is, I might be around for another 15 years if I'm lucky, so ROI is of little consideration to me. Out of pocket cost and reduction of electrical cost is more important to us oldies. Then adding other investments like tankless HW. So if I spend $15,000 on improved electrical, what will be my annual savings starting now? If it approaches $1500-$2000, then I'm all in. Anything less than $1200 and I'll play on E-Trade.
What is ROI?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is ROI?
Return On Investment.

Which is not where I was headed, my point was some panels are much more efficient and cost more period. Could that affect ROI? Yes! But if the better panel and battery set up is only $2K more IMO it's a better option.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been in and out last few day's and this will continue for a while in middle of home re-model. So question for today.

If you're willing to share what significant event in your life molded you to be the person you are today?

I recently made a comment I love openly, I feel this started in the 3rd grade, we had a special needs person named Freddie, no one would ever pay Freddie any attention except me and the teachers, Freddie was different but amazing. Because I did not see Freddie as a person with special needs and more a person with needs I honestly feel that set something in my life that at the time I hadn't realized. I think it created an openness in me that might not otherwise have occurred. All those years ago and ten years in the Army and I end up working at the states largest and oldest facility for adults with developmental disabilities. And I love working here, and love the citizens that come to see me every day, these guys an gals are so genuine and so loveing, I feel blessed for having ever met Freddie.
Well bathrooms are completed less my sealing the Grout on Sunday. Got Kitchen and Counterop consultations set up for this weekend.

To Date:

Two tress removed, others trimmed up to maintain healthy trees.
440 ft drain field installed with newest drainage pipe. ( Should last years and years county inspector said.
Purchased new 16x20 shed with dual attic storage.
Converted house to natural gas.
Installed whole home generator tankless water heater and entire new HVAC system.
Remodeled two bathrooms
Purchased all new LVP for entire home.

To Follow:

Opening Walls to adjoin two rooms with 6 foot French Doors.
New Entry Doors.
Ripping out old kitchen for new kitchen.
New Floors
Convert Florida Room to conditioned air.
New Roof
Solar Panels

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question Of The Day: Favorite Type of fry.

For me shoestring

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fried clams.

No place around here has them. Damn, I miss them.

Being diabetic, I generally avoid most things done with potatoes.
Ohh yeah Whole Belly Clams. We had a place where i grew up called Clam Haven they had great Whole Belly Clams