• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OC Josh McDaniels to interview with Rams, just in

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't the Chargers getting the same market?

I could see McDaniels being a fan of Goff but the Rams have almost no draft picks to fix their offense. He did draft Lance Kendricks so maybe he is a fan but TE is a sore spot on that team as well as some offensive line issues.

The Rams do have some good pieces but I can't imagine that he'd go back after getting run out of the only job he truly tanked.

Well again it all depends on a coaches view of Goff. If last year they did truly view them as the best QB in the draft and somebody that will become a franchise guy then the LA job becomes a very enticing job. Yes draft pick wise they are lacking but they do have a decent chunk of money for FA. They also now have a QB locked up for 5 years that doesn't cost a ton so again you can build through FA a lot more.

Not saying it is the job I would take just saying why it could be enticing. That also doesn't include the fact of the new stadium and media market that a coach would be going to. I'm also not sure what the Rams are offering in terms of control over roster compared to others. Part of the reason McDaniels chose the Broncos is because of the extra control he was given.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right fit is usually $$$$$$
$ will certainly be part of it but I'm guessing he doesn't want to take on a Cleveland project? If he has another couple bad years as a HC he'll be a lifetime OC. Not that it's a bad thing.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams fucking suck. Whoever goes there will fail because their owner is a piece of shit.

Fuck the fucking rams.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well again it all depends on a coaches view of Goff. If last year they did truly view them as the best QB in the draft and somebody that will become a franchise guy then the LA job becomes a very enticing job. Yes draft pick wise they are lacking but they do have a decent chunk of money for FA. They also now have a QB locked up for 5 years that doesn't cost a ton so again you can build through FA a lot more.

Not saying it is the job I would take just saying why it could be enticing. That also doesn't include the fact of the new stadium and media market that a coach would be going to. I'm also not sure what the Rams are offering in terms of control over roster compared to others. Part of the reason McDaniels chose the Broncos is because of the extra control he was given.
My issue with the fit is that the Rams draft athletic super freaks usually from SEC teams but often from spread systems. They aren't the most controlled team ever. Usually a fair number of penalties and Id imagine they choose athletic ability over smart assignments. Its probably the furthest team from the Patriots in some regards. Rams go all in on pass rush and Belichick gets rid of guys when they ask for too much money.

That said, Fisher was a routinely sub par coach and there is some serious talent on the Rams. Just not serious depth. The Rams will likely do whatever it takes to land a big name so it might be the most control McDaniels would get.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$ will certainly be part of it but I'm guessing he doesn't want to take on a Cleveland project? If he has another couple bad years as a HC he'll be a lifetime OC. Not that it's a bad thing.

I don't think it will be an AFC gig, with respect to BB this time. He is no Mangini

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will be an AFC gig, with respect to BB this time. He is no Mangini
I was throwing Cleveland out there as a reclamation project not a place he'll be going. I'm not even sure he'd want the SF gig? Too much work to get them back to contenders. That and the ownership is stating they want a GM/HC combo. Maybe he takes Jimmy G with him and Nick Casero?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with the fit is that the Rams draft athletic super freaks usually from SEC teams but often from spread systems. They aren't the most controlled team ever. Usually a fair number of penalties and Id imagine they choose athletic ability over smart assignments. Its probably the furthest team from the Patriots in some regards. Rams go all in on pass rush and Belichick gets rid of guys when they ask for too much money.

That said, Fisher was a routinely sub par coach and there is some serious talent on the Rams. Just not serious depth. The Rams will likely do whatever it takes to land a big name so it might be the most control McDaniels would get.

Oh I agree. It wouldn't be my perfect fit. There are just things about the Rams that make them a top-3 coaching job that is available. Right now I would rank it...

1) Broncos--They have an established team with a top-5 defense. They have a stable FO that has shown they are willing to do whatever it takes to win championships. They have plenty of young pieces to build around and depending on the thoughts on the 2 young QB's 2 guys you can try to build up. They have a great cap situation. And finally they have 5 picks in the top-100 of the upcoming draft.

2) Jaguars--Young core that is showing a ton of promise. Defensively already a top-10 unit and growing. Offensively a decent OL and some weapons to build around. Again depending on your thoughts of Bortles maybe a QB you can try to work with. Amazing cap situation. top-5 pick in the upcoming draft to see what you can do with.

3) Rams--Talent/potential on both sides of the ball. Possible franchise QB. Decent cap situation. Walking into a huge media market to build a coaches brand.

After that maybe the Bills. Decent talent on both sides of the ball. Decent draft position. Not a great FO though and not the best cap situation to be in.

Then it is a fight for last between the Chargers who have a terrible cap situation, aging players that need to be replaced, not even sure where they will be playing any time soon, ownership that is viewed as some of the worst.

And of course then 49ers. They have a couple of things going for them like $80 million in cap space and #2 overall pick. But ownership is down right terrible and the roster is lacking quite a bit of talent. And of course maybe the worst QB situation of all the teams on this list.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What good organizations need a head coach? Seriously, give me what you got!

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was throwing Cleveland out there as a reclamation project not a place he'll be going. I'm not even sure he'd want the SF gig? Too much work to get them back to contenders. That and the ownership is stating they want a GM/HC combo. Maybe he takes Jimmy G with him and Nick Casero?

Belichick wants some value for Jimmy G a 1st and another 3rd or 4th rounder. Not bad for a 2nd round pick but plenty of teams with dire needs of a serviceable QB, and he looked that way in the 6 Quarters he started

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick wants some value for Jimmy G a 1st and another 3rd or 4th rounder. Not bad for a 2nd round pick but plenty of teams with dire needs of a serviceable QB, and he looked that way in the 6 Quarters he started
I didn't look at what SF has for picks this year? Without a doubt BB should be getting a 1st and something or a very early 2 and maybe a 3rd? BB will also weigh the draft and where he picks this year. Then wiegh that against next years draft and opt for a 2018 first instead of 2017 if he sees the value. I'm good either way as long as Goodell doesn't steal another 1st from NE.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but he cannot go there. Who else?

Oh sorry didn't realize you were just talking about McDaniels. At this point no none of the other openings offer a completely quality opportunity. They have some good and a lot bad which is why they are in the situation they are.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I agree. It wouldn't be my perfect fit. There are just things about the Rams that make them a top-3 coaching job that is available. Right now I would rank it...

1) Broncos--
Broncos are unquestionably #1.

#2. Jaguars but I like Bortles enough as long as you keep things simple. He is a bad fit for some schemes (McDaniels probably) because he takes chances and isnt super accurate. RB can be solved easily in almost any round in the draft.

#3. Bills. Talent on both sides of the ball but they can't put it all together in one season. I like Taylor but I haven't seen enough of him to make a legit evalutation.

#4. Rams. Bit of a mess but if you like Goff, there is some real upside with a 2 year rebuild. I just dont think anyone can walk in and immediately turn them around which makes the big market a bit of a double-edged thing.

#5 Chargers. Age is the issue here but also lots of injury prone guys in general. I do think a guy could come in right away and turn them around but its the wrong time to be walking into the AFC West.

#6. Selling Body for Cash

#7 Niners

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What good organizations need a head coach? Seriously, give me what you got!
Good organization versus good current team. SF and LA are about it. No good team that's why they're looking for coaches.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh sorry didn't realize you were just talking about McDaniels. At this point no none of the other openings offer a completely quality opportunity. They have some good and a lot bad which is why they are in the situation they are.

So if you are McDaniels, do you go to an organization with a bad owner for the $$$ and almost certain failure? or do you stay with the Pats and wait for an opportunity like Gase got?

Miami had finally learned the lesson about management by committee - or have they? Gase is getting the opportunity because the team had a coaching carrousel like Cleveland. They might go back to their old ways and then Gase is screwed.....

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#2. Jaguars but I like Bortles enough as long as you keep things simple. He is a bad fit for some schemes (McDaniels probably) because he takes chances and isnt super accurate. RB can be solved easily in almost any round in the draft.

#3. Bills. Talent on both sides of the ball but they can't put it all together in one season. I like Taylor but I haven't seen enough of him to make a legit evalutation.

#4. Rams. Bit of a mess but if you like Goff, there is some real upside with a 2 year rebuild. I just dont think anyone can walk in and immediately turn them around which makes the big market a bit of a double-edged thing.

#5 Chargers. Age is the issue here but also lots of injury prone guys in general. I do think a guy could come in right away and turn them around but its the wrong time to be walking into the AFC West.

#7 Niners

# 6 you talking about sex or harvesting your organs for $$$$?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

#7 Niners

The reason I have the Bills below the Rams is for 2 reasons...1) Looks like they are getting rid of Taylor so the QB position is a complete question mark. 2) The FO seems to be a complete mess. Didn't tell players or even the GM they were firing Rex when they did. They found out because it was posted on the teams official twitter page. Not exactly the type of ownership I want to walk into. I would add they also have a tougher division in my opinion than the NFC West. NE is squarely at the top and Miami now looks to be a team on the rise. So playoffs become much more difficult. Where NFC West they seemed to have a couple of teams really take a huge step back.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you are McDaniels, do you go to an organization with a bad owner for the $$$ and almost certain failure? or do you stay with the Pats and wait for an opportunity like Gase got?

Miami had finally learned the lesson about management by committee - or have they? Gase is getting the opportunity because the team had a coaching carrousel like Cleveland. They might go back to their old ways and then Gase is screwed.....

Just depends a bit on the ego of the coach. These guys want badly to have one of those 32 positions and if McDaniels thinks he can go in and really turn around an organization I could see him leaving. You are right though in he is in that perfect position. His team will continue to have success on offense so if he doesn't like any of the jobs not like he won't get more opportunities over the next couple of years.