• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NON-EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE TAG

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I understand the rules on this correctly then it is VERY CLEARLY and almost certainly will be, the way the Lions handle the Suh situation. And it's one that I dare say everyone would be ok with.

Please correct me if I am wrong in how I interpret the rules but it's my understanding that this will allow the Lions to protect their interest in Suh by having the right to match any offer sheet he might sign with any other team. If the Lions choose not to then they get two first round picks as compensation.

This would allow Suh and his agent to gauge a true worth for him in the open market since they can negotiate with any team all the way until July 15. If he truly wants to test the market and find out exactly how much his services are valued at then this is how he can do it.

This will completely answer the question as well as to whether or not he truly wants to play in Detroit. If he does the Lions simply match his very best offer.

There are some risks though to the Lions. 1. The signing team and Suh seek to screw the Lions by waiting past the draft, which means those first round picks would be the following year and the year after that. That leaves us with no immediate compensation to try and replace some of the value we lost. The second risk is Suh himself where he immediately signs the tag offer and doesn't negotiate with any other teams. This would prove definitively that he does not want to be here by him choosing the way of being a free agent again the next year rather than finding his best open market offer.

I consider risk #2 to be a huge one for the Lions. He can completely screw this team if he wants.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find anything where I would at least question how I might be interpreting the rules wrong. But I also can't find even one article where this has not been mentioned. That it what leaves me thinking I have to have missed something since this otherwise seems like a no-brainer. How is it that I found this but no one else in the media has said shit about it.

It would seem to be the very best of both worlds for both sides.

Can somebody please find me something that shows me I have this wrong. I have to be missing something here.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I understand the rules on this correctly then it is VERY CLEARLY and almost certainly will be, the way the Lions handle the Suh situation. And it's one that I dare say everyone would be ok with.

Please correct me if I am wrong in how I interpret the rules but it's my understanding that this will allow the Lions to protect their interest in Suh by having the right to match any offer sheet he might sign with any other team. If the Lions choose not to then they get two first round picks as compensation.

This would allow Suh and his agent to gauge a true worth for him in the open market since they can negotiate with any team all the way until July 15. If he truly wants to test the market and find out exactly how much his services are valued at then this is how he can do it.

This will completely answer the question as well as to whether or not he truly wants to play in Detroit. If he does the Lions simply match his very best offer.

There are some risks though to the Lions. 1. The signing team and Suh seek to screw the Lions by waiting past the draft, which means those first round picks would be the following year and the year after that. That leaves us with no immediate compensation to try and replace some of the value we lost. The second risk is Suh himself where he immediately signs the tag offer and doesn't negotiate with any other teams. This would prove definitively that he does not want to be here by him choosing the way of being a free agent again the next year rather than finding his best open market offer.

I consider risk #2 to be a huge one for the Lions. He can completely screw this team if he wants.

1.) Not really a big deal, imo. 1st round draft picks in 2016 and 2017 wouldn't be any less value than the same picks in 2015 and 2016, really. Still the same pay-out, in the end. Might even be better that way because we'd have another year to gauge Stafford and then still have the draft picks (4 1st rounders in a 2 year span, plus Stafford) to work out a trade package to draft a new QB, if that's the way things wind up shaking out.

2.) If he does that are we allowed to us this same tag on him again next year in order to ensure some kind of compensation?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm reading it the same way you are, at least from the sources I've found.

I wonder if the media isn't mentioning it, per se, because they still view it as a "franchise tag," and simply aren't separating the two in their discussions?

But I agree, it seems like an absolute no-brainer. Either we re-sign Suh, or we get two first round picks for him... Why wouldn't we use that option if it is indeed available?

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) Not really a big deal, imo. 1st round draft picks in 2016 and 2017 wouldn't be any less value than the same picks in 2015 and 2016, really. Still the same pay-out, in the end. Might even be better that way because we'd have another year to gauge Stafford and then still have the draft picks (4 1st rounders in a 2 year span, plus Stafford) to work out a trade package to draft a new QB, if that's the way things wind up shaking out.

2.) If he does that are we allowed to us this same tag on him again next year in order to ensure some kind of compensation?

#1. It definitely lessens the value since we get nothing we can use next year if the deal isn't signed until after the draft.

#2. Technically yes, but I believe his cost is even higher than 120%, making that a true impossibility since you are talking about what would amount to be a fully guaranteed one year deal worth at least almost $44m. Pretty sure he would just sign that instantly and negotiate with no other teams.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He can screw this team if he wants!"

Why would he want to screw them?

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He can screw this team if he wants!"

Why would he want to screw them?

Angry about being tagged after perhaps telling Mayhew behind closed doors that he really wants to explore his other options and no longer play here.

I am trying to explore all options and scenarios, and when it comes to matters of $ I trust the words said by absolutely no one until it's a signed deal.

Unless you know Suh personally you have no more reason to think he wouldn't screw the team any more so than I have to call it a risk that he might. It could happen and is therefore a definite risk.

Whether it might or not is unknown, but it absolutely has to be part of the decision making process.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part I think that you're missing is if no other teams bite and are not willing to negotiate with Suh knowing they would be giving up 2 1st rounders then the Lions are on the hook for $27 million dollars against the cap next season.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^ that would be the risk. Suh effectively gets nearly 2 years' market price salary for one year's play by signing the tag and ignoring long-term offers. If I were his agent I'd tell him to do it. The only risk for Suh is injury.

On the other hand, how much money is enough? He may just want to play for a team that is built to win since he already has enough that he'll never need to worry about money again.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angry about being tagged after perhaps telling Mayhew behind closed doors that he really wants to explore his other options and no longer play here.

I am trying to explore all options and scenarios, and when it comes to matters of $ I trust the words said by absolutely no one until it's a signed deal.

Unless you know Suh personally you have no more reason to think he wouldn't screw the team any more so than I have to call it a risk that he might. It could happen and is therefore a definite risk.

Whether it might or not is unknown, but it absolutely has to be part of the decision making process.

You don't know Suh personally and have no reason for this kind of paranoia. You're entitled to it but I think it's really reaching. Bizarre in fact.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're painting a scenario that involves Suh saying "no, I don't want to play here!" And Mayhew saying "oh well, we're tagging you." I just don't think that's how it will go down at all.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What other situation would their be, Swarm? If Suh wants to stay then he'll sign a long term deal. If Suh wants to stay, there is no need for the franchise tag at all. If the franchise tag comes into play it's because they know or believe that Suh is going to walk.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What other situation would their be, Swarm? If Suh wants to stay then he'll sign a long term deal. If Suh wants to stay, there is no need for the franchise tag at all. If the franchise tag comes into play it's because they know or believe that Suh is going to walk.

:agree:

I think it's bizarre to think the tag is in play, but then somehow not realize that would mean Suh does not want to play in Detroit. It's pretty obvious, really...

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know Suh personally and have no reason for this kind of paranoia. You're entitled to it but I think it's really reaching. Bizarre in fact.

Seriously Swrm, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You and TwoCents are the biggest advocates of tagging him to keep him for one more season. I have been saying if he wants to be here he will sign a new deal. I am simply giving you the best of the options in the way to use the tag if that is what you guys really want.

I am already on the record saying I think it will take him about two minutes to return the signed offer to the Lions. Its you who is reaching with this strange blind faith that what Mayhew is saying about their talks is the truth. Sub has given no reason whatsoever to believe him either. Have you heard him say publicly that he wants to be here? I heard that from Prater. Fairley said something like that but never Sub.

If he does he signs within the next few weeks, if he doesn't than he is saying loudly he wants out.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And bingo was his name. O.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part I think that you're missing is if no other teams bite and are not willing to negotiate with Suh knowing they would be giving up 2 1st rounders then the Lions are on the hook for $27 million dollars against the cap next season.

Not missing that. I would absolutely advise him to sign it. In one year he gets more than half guartenteed than what Watt got. Even with a season ending injury he would get a new contract the following year that would have more than $27m in guaranteed, thus making more. Probably quite a bit more.

I think Mayhew is blowing smoke up everyones ass about the tag as an actual option.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's bizarre to think the tag is in play, but then somehow not realize that would mean Suh does not want to play in Detroit. It's pretty obvious, really...

I think the Lions could make the $ available to tag him. But it would be beyond stupid to do so because you are getting only a virtually guaranteed one year deal before he leaves. So it better result in a championship or in no way would it have been worth it

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As usual I'm on an island alone here. I already explained this. Maybe you missed the post. IMO maybe they'll need to do some restructuring with other players to get the cap where they need it to be to sign Suh, and if they can't do that by March 2, then they'll tag him and get to work on a new contract.

Mayhew said Suh wants to play here. Why you guys keep ignoring that fact idk.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mayhew said Suh wants to play here and he said the tag is an option.

Why keep debating it?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew is a tool, I don't believe anything he says.