• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NON-EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE TAG

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft picks are usually negotiated.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew said Suh wants to play here and he said the tag is an option.

Why keep debating it?

I am curious as to what you would expect him to say? Do you think he would come out and say, "Suh hates it here and wants to leave"?

He told us the coaching vacancy was the best opportunity in the league, doesn't appear the league believed him. Ebron was going to create mismatches, I didn't see that either.

Has anything Suh said give you any indication that he wants to be here? Only comment I heard from him was that his agent was going to pick where he plays next season. That doesn't sound like a guy who wants to play in Detroit. He has had numerous chances to say anything like that, he hasn't. As a result I have no reason to believe anything he or Mayhew have to say.

The reason to debate it is both whether it's truly feasible to tag him and if so what does it mean for the team. The only reason you are on the island is because you are only looking at the positive side of things.

If you blanket believe everything Suh and Mayhew are saying then why in the world would the tag even be a possibility when they have six weeks to do a new deal with a player who wants to play in Detroit? You have only two possible contracts to restructure that would create any real value and that could be done overnight. You certainly don't need six weeks and the franchise tag.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could say nothing. I'm curious (not really) why you guys think he's lying.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know if he is lying. But I am not willing to just say that I believe him either.

But if I decided to do so I would be even more convinced that deal should absolutely be done before March 2. There just isn't any reason for it not to be and every advantage to the team for it to be. That's the team he wants to play for right? If it's done before then the Lions can strategize properly for FA and help the team get better rather than be stuck in limbo because so much $ is potentially not available.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year not signing has no bearing on today. Last year the Lions sucked, fired their HC and got an all new staff. They made the playoffs. Shit has changed.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess because I've been in business long enough to know that one always makes positive statements in public during negotiations, irrespective of the actual position. It costs nothing and can only help. Pretending it means anything is for little children.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess because I've been in business long enough to know that one always makes positive statements in public during negotiations, irrespective of the actual position. It costs nothing and can only help. Pretending it means anything is for little children.

You're not in the NFL.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not in the NFL.

Waste of electrons. Business is business. My statement is true in dozens of industries including the NFL, and taking Mayhew's statement as anything other than the conversion of oxygen to carbon dioxide is naive to the point of stupidity.

The only statements more useless on Earth than asking about the state of ongoing private negotiations are promises made by campaigning politicians.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waste of electrons. Business is business. My statement is true in dozens of industries including the NFL, and taking Mayhew's statement as anything other than the conversion of oxygen to carbon dioxide is naive to the point of stupidity.

The only statements more useless on Earth than asking about the state of ongoing private negotiations are promises made by campaigning politicians.

I'm in business too. Doesn't make us NFL GM's. We both have our opinions. I'll be the bigger man and won't insult you for having yours.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not missing that. I would absolutely advise him to sign it. In one year he gets more than half guartenteed than what Watt got. Even with a season ending injury he would get a new contract the following year that would have more than $27m in guaranteed, thus making more. Probably quite a bit more.

I think Mayhew is blowing smoke up everyones ass about the tag as an actual option.

I believe Suh already got the $10 million that the team will be charged next year regardless of whether he resigns or not. It was bonus money deferred on the books but not in his pocket. I could be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure the team doesn't actually owe him the money, it's basically bookkeeping stuff like an accrual. I'm not sure how familiar you are with accrual accounting but you buy something and pay the vendor for it but you spread the payment on your books over the life of the product that you buy. Pretty sure this is the same concept. So Suh would only get the $17 million. Only may be a poor choice of words. But I agree that the tag is just smoke. I can't imagine he would cripple the team that way.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual I'm on an island alone here. I already explained this. Maybe you missed the post. IMO maybe they'll need to do some restructuring with other players to get the cap where they need it to be to sign Suh, and if they can't do that by March 2, then they'll tag him and get to work on a new contract.

Mayhew said Suh wants to play here. Why you guys keep ignoring that fact idk.

No, i didn't miss that post. Only 2 guys make enough to restructure enough for Suh to stay and we've already restructured them how many times? 2 each I believe? That extra $10 mil that we're on the hook for already with Suh, how many times are we going to see that? And if we're restrucuring other guys we'll end up having more guys counting against the cap that end up gone in a couple of years. I just don't believe anyone is worth that. And the only fact is that Mayhew said Suh wants to be in Detroit. Suh wanting to be in Detroit has not been proven by his actions or words.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Suh already got the $10 million that the team will be charged next year regardless of whether he resigns or not. It was bonus money deferred on the books but not in his pocket. I could be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure the team doesn't actually owe him the money, it's basically bookkeeping stuff like an accrual. I'm not sure how familiar you are with accrual accounting but you buy something and pay the vendor for it but you spread the payment on your books over the life of the product that you buy. Pretty sure this is the same concept. So Suh would only get the $17 million. Only may be a poor choice of words. But I agree that the tag is just smoke. I can't imagine he would cripple the team that way.

I understand the accounting. I feel pretty good about my knowledge of the salary cap.

The amount Suh will be paid is 120% of his 2014 cap hit. The Lions will pay him close to $27m but carry a cap hit of about $36.6m because of the $9.7m in dead money he still carries thanks to all the past restructurings we did.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some sources say the cap hit is $27 mil, others say it's close to $37 mil. If it's actually close to $37 mil then there couldn't be anything more stupid than franchising him.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some sources say the cap hit is $27 mil, others say it's close to $37 mil. If it's actually close to $37 mil then there couldn't be anything more stupid than franchising him.

Salary is $27m. Dead money is $9.7m. Add together for cap hit.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in business too. Doesn't make us NFL GM's. We both have our opinions. I'll be the bigger man and won't insult you for having yours.

You already went there with your 'bizarre' comments. I told you you'd try to be clever and fail, and you have. Doesn't detract from the truth that in business one speaks positively in public becuase it costs nothing and stands to benefit. The only time to reveal detail is to put public pressure on the other side, and here that does not apply.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary is $27m. Dead money is $9.7m. Add together for cap hit.

The money in play is the $27MM, though I'm not sure that if a longer-term deal were signed, then some of the $10MM dead money could be pushed out if that had value.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money in play is the $27MM, though I'm not sure that if a longer-term deal were signed, then some of the $10MM dead money could be pushed out if that had value.

???? In play?? Roughly $27m is what Suh would be paid. That's 120% of his 2014 cap hit. That's how it's calculated.

We have restructured his original contract I believe three times. The result is the $9.7m in dead money that applies next year. That money can not be deferred. It will hit next year no matter what. A new contract for Suh changes nothing on that hitting in 2015.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
common sense ? (the word common refers to majority as in 51% or greater) the ongoing debate isn't common sense at all, IMO... logical sense, which is what this is suppose to be, seems to be lacking regarding whether tagging SUH is fiscally beneficial to this team in 2015.

Last edited by a moderator: