• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No team has ever won 3 Super Bowls in a row. What if the Chiefs do it?

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong. Mahomes is fantastic and that offense is special but there is a lot more to winning than 1 player. With the salary cap, injuries and all sorts of other things, it's virtually impossible to field a three in a row champ even if the QB is Superman.

Challenge accepted

patrick-mahomes-vince-lombardi-trophy-1000x600.jpg

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus they have a good amount of players signed through at least 2022 that are all young with Kelce at 30 being the guy not in his 20s. Mahomes himself is signed through 2022 so any cap implications from his upcoming new contract wouldn't really kick in until 2022.

That at the very least can get them to 3 straight. The real GOAT accomplishment for Mahomes and Reid will be winning that 4th straight title in 2022 which by then would represent very different roster core than their current one.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Chargers 3-peat a certain former Chargers fan will start a: "Who is the GOAT Manning or Mahomes?" thread.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They literally are not comparable whatsoever.

Mike Vicks first 3 years: 4,306 yards passing, 22 passing TDs, 14 INTs, 1,321 yards rushing & 10 rushing TDs. 1 Pro Bowl, 1-1 record in the playoffs.

Patrick Mahomes first 3 years: 9,412 yards passing, 76 passing TDs, 18 INTs, 500 yards rushing & 4 rushing TDs. 1x 1st team All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowl, 4-1 in the playoffs, 1x Super Bowl Champion.

So you just proved my point so thank you. The only thing different in those stats is Vick didn’t win a Super Bowl. You aren’t making an argument, you are just agreeing. Vick didn’t win as much as Mahomes, which wasn’t my argument. My argument was Mahomes is the greatest QB right now so no one can stop the Chiefs which I replied the exact same thing was said about Michael Vick when he was more dominant against a better division and conference. Mahomes is 2 years into being a starter and has the same playoff record but less wins as Russell Wilson. Let’s let wait for a body of work before there is a talk of a 3 peat.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny...most fans can't assume one season ahead in a week to week league, but not paw patrol, he's got the next 2 seasons figured out

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are aware that there’s a whole number between one and three, right?

wait, wait, I know this..... It's one of those riddle things everyone posts on Facebook!

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize they had to make a hell of a comeback just to get to one. Nothing is given.

If you saw that nearly invincible 19-0 Pats teams lose to Eli and the Giants you know this.

giphy.gif

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad you mentioned this about the CHIEFS. If you remember the putrid game that the RAMS put up against the PATS....then if not for DEE FORD lining up off-sides....the CHIEFS would now already have two(2) in a row and would be going for the three-peat this year......when they repeat.

If David Tyree didn't have a flat head and BB had played Malcolm Butler and the ref had called OOB then the Patriots would have 9 Rings instead of 6. The Rams couldn't figure out the Patriots defense. Reid would not have changed the Chiefs defense and the Rams would have been the Rams that they were all year. If the Ravens had not had an extra week off.....the Chiefs would not have been home and probably gotten their ass handed to them in Baltimore. Way too many IFs. Win the division in 2020, then the AFCCG, then the Super Bowl for the second time.

Win #2 before you even begin to start thinking about number three.............How many teams have won back to back Super Bowls?? 7 Packers, Dolphins, 49ers, Steelers (twice), Cowboys, Broncos, Patriots (twice). It been repeated back to back nine times in the history of the NFL. Doing that is pretty remarkable so a three peat is not even a legitimate conversation until they've won two.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who watched KC come back from 3 double digit deficit games in the playoffs?

Vs Houston, 24 point deficit
Vs Tennessee, 10 point deficit (twice)
Vs San Fran, 10-20 heading into the 4th quarter

Other than the 9-7 Tennessee game, the other games were about 95% certain that KC was going to lose. Just glad those in uniform didn’t believe it.

And let’s not forget that the hottest team in the AFC choked. A huge break for the Chiefs right there.

The Chiefs had some luck on their side. To just assume they win it all next season is stupid. Let the season play out before we talk year 3. Especially since Mahomes doesn't even have a contract yet.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who watched KC come back from 3 double digit deficit games in the playoffs?

Vs Houston, 24 point deficit
Vs Tennessee, 10 point deficit (twice)
Vs San Fran, 10-20 heading into the 4th quarter

Other than the 9-7 Tennessee game, the other games were about 95% certain that KC was going to lose. Just glad those in uniform didn’t believe it.

And let’s not forget that the hottest team in the AFC choked. A huge break for the Chiefs right there.

The Chiefs had some luck on their side. To just assume they win it all next season is stupid. Let the season play out before we talk year 3. Especially since Mahomes doesn't even have a contract yet.
Part of the reason for optimism, though, is that even when the Chiefs played poorly in the playoffs they were still able to win every game by double digits.

That said, anyone predicting a dynasty is just silly. You need a top 3 QB, top 3 GM, and a top 3 Head Coach to do that.

Veach has done some out of the box thinking like drafting Mahomes, letting go of Marcus Peters, signing Hitchens and Sammy Watkins, and bringing in Steve Spagnuolo who pretty much washed out of the league. The Chiefs don't win the Super Bowl last year if Veach doesn't make a lot of moves that a lot of other GMs would've never made. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep that up.

Andy Reid is Andy Reid. He is a great coach until the game is on the line. Mahomes might be able to negate his flaws, though, so its possible. Teams have come up with new wrinkles against the Chiefs about every 4 games so Reid is still going to need to dig through the tape and come up with answers.

Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers both only have one ring. QBs win games. Defense wins championships.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest lucky break the Chiefs had last year happened way before the play-offs. Mahomes merely dislocating that knee and being able to come back so soon. That could have easily been a season ending injury. Which goes to my earlier post about injuries. I don't wish them on anyone but they happen in this sport and no team is immune. What if the Oline gets beat up. Or the defense.
I don't believe the adage about defense winning championships. I believe it takes an entire team effort from the guys on ST, to the bigs in the trenches to the star players. And it also takes a shitload if luck.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you just proved my point so thank you. The only thing different in those stats is Vick didn’t win a Super Bowl. You aren’t making an argument, you are just agreeing. Vick didn’t win as much as Mahomes, which wasn’t my argument. My argument was Mahomes is the greatest QB right now so no one can stop the Chiefs which I replied the exact same thing was said about Michael Vick when he was more dominant against a better division and conference. Mahomes is 2 years into being a starter and has the same playoff record but less wins as Russell Wilson. Let’s let wait for a body of work before there is a talk of a 3 peat.

The only thing different is a Super Bowl? What?

Vick was more dominant? What?

In Mahomes 2nd year alone (first season starting) he had more passing yards and TDs than Vick in his 3 years combined. Mahomes second season was one of the most dominant of any QB ever. He ran away with the MVP award.

What are you smoking? Their production wasn't anything close to comparable.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that you can't compare Mahomes to Vick which is why I brought up Rodgers earlier. After AR won the SB, he went on to win the MVP and the Packers were the consensus favorites to win it all when they finished 15-1. Eli and the Giants then promptly walked into Lambeau and dismantled the Pack 37-20 en route to a 2nd SB over the Patriots. Aaron and the Packers have been under .500 in the play-offs since. We can talk about McCarthy now in hindsight all we want but at that time, he was considered one of the best coaches in the game and Aaron Rodgers was the best player in football by a fairly large margin. Yet here we are almost a decade later and the Packers haven't even sniffed a return visit to the SB.
Way too many variables to consider before anointing these guys. For example, what if Big Ben bounces back to his old self and the Steelers show up at Arrowhead on a hot streak in January. Just putting that tidbit out there to ponder. That's a little different than Buttchin and the Texans, no? There just is no predicting any of this.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willing to give this more of a thought in 8 months if they get number 2.

However the AFC looks pretty nice for them, specifically their division

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that you can't compare Mahomes to Vick which is why I brought up Rodgers earlier. After AR won the SB, he went on to win the MVP and the Packers were the consensus favorites to win it all when they finished 15-1. Eli and the Giants then promptly walked into Lambeau and dismantled the Pack 37-20 en route to a 2nd SB over the Patriots. Aaron and the Packers have been under .500 in the play-offs since. We can talk about McCarthy now in hindsight all we want but at that time, he was considered one of the best coaches in the game and Aaron Rodgers was the best player in football by a fairly large margin. Yet here we are almost a decade later and the Packers haven't even sniffed a return visit to the SB.
Way too many variables to consider before anointing these guys. For example, what if Big Ben bounces back to his old self and the Steelers show up at Arrowhead on a hot streak in January. Just putting that tidbit out there to ponder. That's a little different than Buttchin and the Texans, no? There just is no predicting any of this.

Rodgers is definitely a better comparison but at the end of the day Reid is a vastly better HC than McCarthy. I think the Chiefs have the perfect storm of what could be the best QB to play the game paired with one of the 10 best HCs to ever coach the game.

A similar perfect storm that came together in NE for the past two decades.

Also I don't think Big Ben is anything for Mahomes to fear.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is definitely a better comparison but at the end of the day Reid is a vastly better HC than McCarthy. I think the Chiefs have the perfect storm of what could be the best QB to play the game paired with one of the 10 best HCs to ever coach the game.

A similar perfect storm that came together in NE for the past two decades.

Also I don't think Big Ben is anything for Mahomes to fear.

The only thing Mahomes might possibly fear is if KC plays Pittsburgh and during warm up's BigBen sits on him. # 7 is approaching the size of a Yugo.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is one. One Super bowl!!!!
tenor.gif

What is this super bowl you speak of? As a Browns fan it sounds interesting. When you said super bowl this is what I thought of.

tolerance-feature.jpg

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest lucky break the Chiefs had last year happened way before the play-offs. Mahomes merely dislocating that knee and being able to come back so soon. That could have easily been a season ending injury. Which goes to my earlier post about injuries. I don't wish them on anyone but they happen in this sport and no team is immune. What if the Oline gets beat up. Or the defense.
I don't believe the adage about defense winning championships. I believe it takes an entire team effort from the guys on ST, to the bigs in the trenches to the star players. And it also takes a shitload if luck.
Chiefs were very healthy heading into the playoffs. IIRC they only had one major injury and it was at Safety. Safety is also the position that the Niners seemed to target on almost every single play, too. You have a weak link and it gets exposed.

Chiefs oline really has never been in a great place. Mahomes just lines up a ridiculous number of yards away from the LOS. Chiefs are going to have to replace Fisher at LT at some point.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing Mahomes might possibly fear is if KC plays Pittsburgh and during warm up's BigBen sits on him. # 7 is approaching the size of a Yugo.
Nope. He's already slimmedd down.