• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the picks used in this trade vacated.

Not go back to the Browns, but no one gets to use them. It's a shitshow on both sides of this.

Letting them keep any of the picks rewards their behavior in shielding and growing this monster.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are still using 5 to 6 women as the cornerstones to the punishment. All of which are said to have physical evidence against him in some way. If that is the case, you could also treat each one of these as a separate act instead of lumping them together, and each case of sexual misconduct in the leagues eyes is worth what?

Then I also saw where if a player is punished for a sexual assault by the league, a second offense could be a banable offense. So do you lump all these assaults into one offense because they are all being filed together and he hadn't been punished previous for these, or do the shear number of them accumulate to allow the league to bypass the initial punishment and go straight to a ban?

I don't think that is how it is going to go, but I could see it as something they have/are mulling over. By the sounds of it, the league leaked what it thinks should be the punishment, so if the arbiter comes back with a lesser punishment, the league can say, hey, we wanted a more strict punishment but they mutually agreed upon arbiter didn't rule by what we think is best, so you have to put the blame on her, not the NFL. Gives the league offices a chance to save face if there is backlash.

This former judge is probably really good about sorting through bullshit and being a very fair judge, but how does it play into her head that Watson is a predator of women, and has assaulted so many of them? Now granted, he is not criminally liable here at all, so what is fair? It will be interesting to see how this finally gets decided.
Yes.

In a nut shell, Goodell handles all discipline except for the initial punishment, and IF player is to be disciplined.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see the picks used in this trade vacated.

Not go back to the Browns, but no one gets to use them. It's a shitshow on both sides of this.

Letting them keep any of the picks rewards their behavior in shielding and growing this monster.
First thought was that's nuts but maybe not, assuming it means the Browns get to keep him and he doesn't face some crazy suspension.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Wall Street Journal's Andrew Beaton reports that the NFL will push for "an indefinite suspension that would last no shorter than one year" for Deshaun Watson.​

Watson's hearing with the NFL will begin on Tuesday, and ultimate clarity may finally be coming for how we should proceed as fantasy managers with Browns players this season. All of the recent reporting we've seen has pointed to the NFL wanting Watson to be gone for at least a year. It sure sounds like the NFLPA is ready to fight a Watson suspension of any real length, so appeals seem likely no matter the initial decision. The momentum at this time definitely seems to be leading to an enormous personal conduct policy suspension for Watson.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lawsuit filed against the Texans alleges "individuals within the Texans organization knew or should have known of Deshaun Watson's conduct."​

Watson just settled all but four of the lawsuits filed against him. This new lawsuit claims the Texans enabled his behavior by providing "rooms set up for him at the Houstonian Hotel, massage tables provided to him for private massage sessions, and a NDA provided to him from the head of Texans' security." The lawsuit paints a truly disgusting situation in an even worse light by accusing the Texans, an NFL franchise worth billions of dollars, of supporting Watson amidst his alleged instances of sexual misconduct. Watson's disciplinary hearing began on Tuesday. Many reports have indicated that the NFL will push for a suspension no shorter than a year

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem with this idea is.
It would only be a roll over of just over a million dollars.
He was still paid his signing bonus. So unless they are gonna go after that.
So missing year one really isnt doing a whole lot to the cap.
Now if he misses year two. You guys will be Cap rich.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
problem with this idea is.
It would only be a roll over of just over a million dollars.
He was still paid his signing bonus. So unless they are gonna go after that.
So missing year one really isnt doing a whole lot to the cap.
Now if he misses year two. You guys will be Cap rich.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying it is doing a lot....for 2023, because his $1 mil base then becomes his base for 2023.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has the potential to turn into quite a mess for the Browns, Texans and the league itself. I don't see how Watson plays anytime soon, and I do think the picks might be reopened depending on what comes out about what the Texans knew.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFLPA likely to use Robert Kraft as example of NFL's double standard (from brownswire)

Part of the article.

Noting Kraft's legal issue is important. While the two situations are different, Kraft was caught on tape during a police sting operation "paying for or receiving sex acts at the Orchids of Asia day spa in Jupiter, Florida, as part of a months-long statewide sting operation targeting prostitution and human trafficking rings."

The charges were dropped with help of deft legal maneuverings.

He faced no charges once the charges were dropped. Given the lack of punishment for Kraft, the NFLPA can point to a double standard between the two cases.

The NFLPA will argue the cases are similar in nature, neither resulting in legal charges.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFLPA likely to use Robert Kraft as example of NFL's double standard (from brownswire)

Part of the article.

Noting Kraft's legal issue is important. While the two situations are different, Kraft was caught on tape during a police sting operation "paying for or receiving sex acts at the Orchids of Asia day spa in Jupiter, Florida, as part of a months-long statewide sting operation targeting prostitution and human trafficking rings."

The charges were dropped with help of deft legal maneuverings.

He faced no charges once the charges were dropped. Given the lack of punishment for Kraft, the NFLPA can point to a double standard between the two cases.

The NFLPA will argue the cases are similar in nature, neither resulting in legal charges.
Owners arent part of the NFLPA & owners cant be suspended.
Players can. This is apples & oranges.
If that was able to be used. they could use Kraft in every single suspension for anything to claim double standards. They also dont have stipulations in their contracts stating this or that. Where as players do agree to certain things that were agreed upon by the NFLPA & NFL.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was able to be used. they could use Kraft in every single suspension for anything to claim double standards. They also dont have stipulations in their contracts stating this or that. Where as players do agree to certain things that were agreed upon by the NFLPA & NFL.

Only reason I mentioned it was I just found the article interesting and the route the NFLPA might try to use.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes they can

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes they can

ok I stand corrected sir. :suds:

but an owner being suspended is kind of a joke.
Sits & watches the game on their Yacht with a 500k party.
Doesnt affect contracts or the team nor the cap.

Still Apples & Oranges.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot be suspended but they have said owners should be held to a higher standard. Wouldn't that mean if Kraft got what amounts to barely a slap on the wrist Watson losing a full season of play (or more) might be a bit excessive?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should also be known Baker also added something to the effect that things could be resolved if the Browns reached out to him.
or he is just saying the right things to the media knowing things wont get resolved :noidea:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should also be known Baker also added something to the effect that things could be resolved if the Browns reached out to him.
Could be, not Would be, and he also said but sides have moved on.

Again, the Browns DON'T want Baker, and Baker DOESN’T want the Browns.