• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree, but they could say he already sat out the '21 season, and that the '22 suspension is conditional with him having to re-apply for the league. That would basically be a 2 year suspension, with conditional reinstatement.
I don't count the 2021 season as Watson wasn't willing to play and got paid. No league action involved as far as we know. It was more like a hold out only he got paid.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that still burns my ass is the structure of the contract the fucking Browns gave this smug asswipe. The comedy has been the Browns fans thinking other teams were bidding in the same neighborhood.

Holy crap some Browns fans thought other teams were bidding for that scumbag? First I've heard of this, but funny as hell.

The stupid contract that scumbag got is more proof Jimmy Haslam will always be one of the worst owners in the league.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't count the 2021 season as Watson wasn't willing to play and got paid. No league action involved as far as we know. It was more like a hold out only he got paid.
I agree - but it might try and be spun in such a manner. Just like when a program self-imposes a ban before any actual judgement is passed. Maybe not the same thing, and again I'm not saying that I don't disagree with you - was pointing out that it could be spun that way.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree - but it might try and be spun in such a manner. Just like when a program self-imposes a ban before any actual judgement is passed. Maybe not the same thing, and again I'm not saying that I don't disagree with you - was pointing out that it could be spun that way.
even if they want to spin it that way. He was paid.
IF you're suspended, you dont get paid. No way they can count that as time served (so to speak)

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. Still would be a tough explanation for the league on why Watsons suspension is the same as Ridleys and so much less than another pro sports league did for far less accusers

I'm just not sure how the league doesn't get buried unless it's at least 1.5-2 years
But how about so much more than some of the owners who had had their own indiscretions? some of which I believe we know occurred?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that still burns my ass is the structure of the contract the fucking Browns gave this smug asswipe. The comedy has been the Browns fans thinking other teams were bidding in the same neighborhood.
Has anyone said other teams were making that kind of offer as far as money? Pretty sure most Browns fans are not naive and believe we needed to overpay to stay in the "game".

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree hard to count as he got paid but thinking him not playing was a mutual decision. If Texans wanted him to play was he going to quit?

again, hard to count it as time served though since no matter what each party wanted he was paid.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But how about so much more than some of the owners who had had their own indiscretions? some of which I believe we know occurred?
I mean you're right but ultimately that's the difference between being the employer and an employee

Is that right? Hell no. But it's how the world works

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple questions on Cap & contracts.
With a suspended player. How does this affect the teams cap situation? Do they get that money back that wasnt paid or does it stay with the cap?
Also can a suspended player & team renegotiate their contracts while the player is under suspension?

Reason I ask the 2nd part is. What if the player is suspended a 2nd year & the player & team change the contract for the 2nd year to look like the 1st. Would this be allowed?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone said other teams were making that kind of offer as far as money? Pretty sure most Browns fans are not naive and believe we needed to overpay to stay in the "game".
and if they didn't multiple other teams would have done it.

Outbid themselves? There were a number of other offers the Texans had that they'd have been willing to accept. Fact. Not opinion.

OK? There were still other teams they were bidding against
That a boy gold

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean you're right but ultimately that's the difference between being the employer and an employee

No doubt about that but still think it may carry some weight in what happens to watson. I mean, he wont get essentially what was a slap on the wrist (or nothing) like the owners got but it may stop them from laying down the hammer....maybe it's something the judge can consider in her ruling (I really don't know)?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple questions on Cap & contracts.
With a suspended player. How does this affect the teams cap situation? Do they get that money back that wasnt paid or does it stay with the cap?
Also can a suspended player & team renegotiate their contracts while the player is under suspension?

Reason I ask the 2nd part is. What if the player is suspended a 2nd year & the player & team change the contract for the 2nd year to look like the 1st. Would this be allowed?
I think it would not count against the cap though not sure. As to 2nd part would think they could renegotiate a deal whenever they want but not sure about that. Are you thinking Browns might do that to help Watson out in year 2 if suspended since he'll be owed a lot more then? Even if they could do it, I don't think the Browns (or any team) would. One thing to make concessions to get him to come, but at this point we already have him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha...I get not in you to admit when you are wrong but my comments are about what was offered to the Texans.....not what we paid watson.
Spin
..it's far and away the best thing you bring here.

I haven't been wrong at any point in this thread
You clearly shoot aimlessly when your spin cycle is exposed, it's seen often.

You be you

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spin
..it's far and away the best thing you bring here.

I haven't been wrong at any point in this thread
You clearly shoot aimlessly when your spin cycle is exposed, it's seen often.

You be you
I was clearly talking about what was offered to the Texans in these deals...not the Watson contract. Nailed it when I said you are among the many who don't have it in them to admit when wrong. That's cool. You do you.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except goodell said the owners were going to be held to higher standard than the players