• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Texans

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The FO missed its best chances at a high-level CB. We could've had Lattimore in the draft. We were reportedly "interested" in trading for J.Ramsey and M.Peters, but apparently we weren't interested enough.

Signing Verrett last year was a smart gamble--low risk, high reward. It worked out. Relying on him to stay healthy THIS year without planning for him to miss serious time or leave in FA is where our FO screwed up again.

Verrett IS a FA this offseason. The multiyear FA offers he got last year were on the low end (due to his injury history), so he insisted on a 1 year deal so he could "cash in" after this season. We'd be smart to sign him to a 1 year, near-minimum deal that paid more for each game played, but the FO should consider that signing as nothing more than a flyer and behave as though any contribution he makes is gravy.

The best place to get a good CB will be the draft, but will there be a good one available in rd 2 this year? There really wasn't last year (at least not according to our FO).

As for FA at CB:
1. If the FO wants to swing for the fence and pay the big money for a CB that is at/near PB level and on the way up, JC Jackson (NE) or Carlton Davis (TB). Both could be tagged.

2. If we’re looking at higher-end vets with 2-4 good years left: S.Gilmore, P.Peterson, Chris Harris, or B.Callahan. They'd be rather expensive short term rentals.

3. If we’re looking for that cheap, younger, athletic guy that could improve in a rather simple defensive system there are plenty out there. But can we find one?
Yeah ok, if Verrett wants to re-sign at very vet minimum, fine. I'm sure they'll make it incentive laden due to his history.

For the draft, didn't they have a shot at Asante Samuel in round 2? I don't know just how good he is now, but earlier this season we read he was doing ok. In the big scheme of things ok with pressure over coverage, so if there isn't value in Round 2, don't force a CB.

These FA's look good NOW, but 2 years from now the odds are they'll be 'dead money'. I'm not against signing FA's, but the high-end ones are REALLY overpaid. We already sunk a lot of cap on Kittle, TW, Warner, Armstead, and soon to be Bosa and Samuel. Don't see us spending a lot on FA's other than our own?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I read today that K'Juan Williams and Daunte Johnson have COVID so we better get ready for more Thomas and Norman.
Yes, the Rams are better now with OBJ in the mix, we'll need them to make mistakes such as Stafford INT's.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the Rams are better now with OBJ in the mix, we'll need them to make mistakes such as Stafford INT's.
And no turnovers on our part

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Deebo Samuel
wasn't much of a factor early in this game. He then had a big drive-killing drop late in the third quarter. He leads the league with 10 dropped passes.

I would never have thought this?!

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ok, if Verrett wants to re-sign at very vet minimum, fine. I'm sure they'll make it incentive laden due to his history.

For the draft, didn't they have a shot at Asante Samuel in round 2? I don't know just how good he is now, but earlier this season we read he was doing ok. In the big scheme of things ok with pressure over coverage, so if there isn't value in Round 2, don't force a CB.

These FA's look good NOW, but 2 years from now the odds are they'll be 'dead money'. I'm not against signing FA's, but the high-end ones are REALLY overpaid. We already sunk a lot of cap on Kittle, TW, Warner, Armstead, and soon to be Bosa and Samuel. Don't see us spending a lot on FA's other than our own?
We did have a shot at Asante Samuel in rd 2, but our FO literally said they weren't gonna take him. I know he's had concussion issues for the Chargers, but he was also defensive rookie of the month once. Still, if the FO didn't like him at that spot, sure, like you said, don't force it.

I think the FO would be smart to focus our FA funds on extending our own guys--Bosa and Deebo are gonna be pricey. That means we're either gonna be spending in the middle levels, seeing if we can convince an aging vet to try for the Sb with us, or else we're gonna rely on the draft and the FA scrap heap again (...since it's worked so well for us the last few years...).

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deebo Samuel wasn't much of a factor early in this game. He then had a big drive-killing drop late in the third quarter. He leads the league with 10 dropped passes.

I would never have thought this?!
From the stats I can find:

9 drops, J.Chase (Cincy)
7 drops, K.Allen (LAC), R.Anderson (Carolina), D.Samuel (SF)
6 drops—8 players including C.Claypool (Pitt), T.Hill (KC), J.Waddle (Miami)

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name a starting QB in the NFC who is worse than Lance.
Cam Newton has been worse. Fields was worse after his first2 starts than Lance too, just to name a couple.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton has been worse. Fields was worse after his first2 starts than Lance too, just to name a couple.
Disagree. Lance has a great running game, the best tight end in the game, Deebo Samuel, one of the top receivers in the game and Aiyuk who is dynamic as well and he still looks really confused out there. I would definitely start Newton over him with this lineup. The rookie on the Bears is no longer a starter. He’s been benched for Dalton

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Disagree. Lance has a great running game, the best tight end in the game, Deebo Samuel, one of the top receivers in the game and Aiyuk who is dynamic as well and he still looks really confused out there. I would definitely start Newton over him with this lineup. The rookie on the Bears is no longer a starter. He’s been benched for Dalton
Lance started his 2nd game and he looked confused, wow!

He didn't look confused in the 2nd half.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance started his 2nd game and he looked confused, wow!

He didn't look confused in the 2nd half.
Agreed. he did better in the second half. Not great, but definitely better.

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5TDs to 2 INT and only started 2 games and several games in between starts. Hard to state he’s worse than 5td-5int cam who has been playing for years.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good ole Mike Glennon...
34022766.jpg

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just sayin, Fields is set to start the Bears season finale. And like Lance, he'll be the day 1 starter next year (barring injury).