• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners contact eagles about DeSean Jackson

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson can handle stress. He'll be fine. He's not Martin.

He can handle stress. What he can't handle is sticking to a contract beyond one year or acting like a decent human being.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowe's as big of a cap hit to cut as to keep this year give or take some, I think.

That's too bad for them, Bowe is an awful fit for that offense.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DeSean Jackson - WR - Free Agent

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports the Raiders are doing "background work" on free agent DeSean Jackson.

The two sides are said to be interested in hammering out a deal, but the Raiders need to cover all the bases and make sure bringing Jackson "home" to Southern California is the right thing. Jackson is scheduled to visit the Redskins on Monday. Washington and Oakland seem to be the most interested in Jackson. Redskins owner Dan Snyder can throw gobs of money at Jackson, if need be.
Related: Raiders
Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Mar 30 - 9:51 AM

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I haven't actually seen the article, but a buddy of mine told me that Rottowire said Harbaugh isn't very pleased with the progression of Patton. Again I'm paraphrasing because I haven't seen the article. That's just what I heard. Hopefully it isn't true because I like Patton a lot. I still think we have to take at least 2 WR's in the draft. It's a very deep class and we need to secure our WR corps for the future with Boldin aging and Crabtree possibly becoming a FA.

Again, how John Morton still has a job is one of the great mysteries in life - the only possible explanation for it is that he and Harbaugh go way back. Either Baalke has no eye whatsoever when it comes to WRs, or Morton is literally the worst position coach in the league. And given the number of WRs that have come through the building over the last three years, I've got to think it's Morton. Granted we have only added one high pick at WR, but almost every other team in the league has been able to develop something at WR. Morton has done absolutely nothing to justify his continuing employment as an NFL coach.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Quinton Patton - San Francisco 49ers - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Harbs is giving Patton the Jenkins treatment from the looks of it.

That "article" is reading a lot into Harbaugh's comments. He said for much of the year the Niners didn't have a third option. Well, Patton was injured for most of the year. And at the end of the day, Patton didn't do much. The Niners currently have three receivers who have a fairly legitimate shot of contributing this year. Of course they are going to look for more.

If they truly are giving up on Patton, I would be so furious. Again, Morton's continuing employment makes absolutely no sense to me. The guy's presence has had no appreciable impact on the WR position at all in three years. The only positive during his tenure is Crabtree's improvement, and that came because of Kap's insertion into the lineup, not because of the coaching he was receiving.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I disagree.

Hypothetical scenario: Suppose the 49ers picked up AJ Green and for whatever reason, had him as the 3rd receiver. Would this, or would this not, cause match-up problems for the opposing defense?

The Niners need a deep threat. It doesn't have to come in the form of pure speed, but it has to be a guy who can stretch the field. Evans would probably be just fine in that regard despite running above 4.5, for instance.

You cite 40 times above as being overstated, but then keep drawing on guys' 40 times to say they lack speed. Jerry Rice played a lot faster than his 40 time - granted he was not a burner. AJ Green plays much faster than his 40 time, and is able to run away from a lot of DBs. Generally, even for WRs, it's fairly rare that they run 40 yards all out. Even on long balls, they often run a stop-and-go, or some other route concept that breaks up their direct line. So things like balance, quickness, and route-running can be as important as pure straight-line speed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Undersized WR's like Jackson and Harvin just don't last in the NFL. Their greatest asset is their speed and quickness and those will diminish year after year. They are also far to injury prone due to the size they are giving up. I honestly think teams over pay for players like them. Sure they can be game changers, but that's if you can keep them on the field and only during their first few season in the league.

I mean look at Seattle and what they are paying for Harvin, and yet they don't even need him. That money could have kept Tate and at least one of the corners easily or giving them more to go after a free agent replacement for some of the players they lost. Instead they are stuck paying out that big contract for a player that really had 0 impact on a Super Bowl year for them.

Jackson is still under 30, but with character issues and the inevitable decline in his ability coming you have to wonder what type of contract he can expect. I wouldn't be willing to offer to anything over 4 years and would be happiest at 3. The contract would have also have to be structured to where I could easily get out of it after 2 years.

I don't think you can lump Jackson in with Harvin. Jackson has played at least 14 games in five of his six NFL seasons. He's missed a total of 10 games in six years. That's not bad.

And as far as smaller receivers go, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Wes Welker, etc. disagree about longevity. Certainly some small guys can be injury prone, but so can big guys.

I'm not endorsing going after Jackson at all, just don't think the comparison above is fair to him.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners need a deep threat. It doesn't have to come in the form of pure speed, but it has to be a guy who can stretch the field. Evans would probably be just fine in that regard despite running above 4.5, for instance.

You cite 40 times above as being overstated, but then keep drawing on guys' 40 times to say they lack speed. Jerry Rice played a lot faster than his 40 time - granted he was not a burner. AJ Green plays much faster than his 40 time, and is able to run away from a lot of DBs. Generally, even for WRs, it's fairly rare that they run 40 yards all out. Even on long balls, they often run a stop-and-go, or some other route concept that breaks up their direct line. So things like balance, quickness, and route-running can be as important as pure straight-line speed.

I was citing 40 times to show that this measurement doesn't mean everything, which it appears that we agree on.

I don't necessarily believe that we need a guy who can "stretch the field". But by your standards, why exactly can't Patton do that as the 3rd receiver? He runs faster than Evans. Is it a lack of balance, quickness, or route-running?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DeSean Jackson - WR - Free Agent

ESPN New York reports the Jets "won't be a factor" in the hunt for free agent DeSean Jackson, "unless they pull a 180."

Beat writer Rich Cimini reports OC Marty Mornhinweg gave D-Jax his "blessing" during internal free agency meetings, assuring the front office Jackson "wouldn't be a problem in the locker room." Cimini believes that "wasn't enough to sway (GM John) Idzik" into pursuing Jackson. With the Chiefs also dropping out, it appears Jackson's landing spot will come down to Washington or Oakland.
Source: ESPN New York

Mar 30 - 2:58 PM

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was citing 40 times to show that this measurement doesn't mean everything, which it appears that we agree on.

I don't necessarily believe that we need a guy who can "stretch the field". But by your standards, why exactly can't Patton do that as the 3rd receiver? He runs faster than Evans. Is it a lack of balance, quickness, or route-running?

I find that the best deep threats tend to have either very good speed or very good size. Those aren't absolute requisites, but that's what I look for. Patton is pretty average in both areas. Patton had some success with deep routes in college, but he wasn't known primarily as a deep threat. I'd like to see some speed on the outside.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
**BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: New Orleans Saints & SF 49ers in heavy discussions with Desean Jackson #IBN — IBN SPORTS WRAP (@IBNincarcerated) March 31, 2014

IBN Sports Wrap twitter reporting this FWIW. Ed Werder @ ESPN reported earlier that 2 teams who were not (previously) publicly interested were in "deep" negotiations.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
**BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: New Orleans Saints & SF 49ers in heavy discussions with Desean Jackson #IBN — IBN SPORTS WRAP (@IBNincarcerated) March 31, 2014

IBN Sports Wrap twitter reporting this FWIW. Ed Werder @ ESPN reported earlier that 2 teams who were not (previously) publicly interested were in "deep" negotiations.

Never heard of this source. How reliable are they?

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Never heard of this source. How reliable are they?

Recently pretty good calls on Revis and Whitner signings a couple days before they were announced. I don't know about more historically how accurate though.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not surprised that we're at least trying to get him since the rumors have been swirling heavily that we're interested.

Saints are a big surprise though considering they have less cap room than us and their hasn't been a peep about them being interested. I could see why they would be interested considering Jackson in that offense would be pretty scary.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Of course now PFT is reporting this which if true throws cold water on the Saints and 49ers report.

DeSean Jackson won?t come cheap | ProFootballTalk

So I'm wondering if this is a case that he'll play for less for a SB contender and want top dollar to play for a lousy team.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course now PFT is reporting this which if true throws cold water on the Saints and 49ers report.

DeSean Jackson won?t come cheap | ProFootballTalk

So I'm wondering if this is a case that he'll play for less for a SB contender and want top dollar to play for a lousy team.

I'm going to speculate that Jackson would want top dollar and play for a lousy team. He was due to make $10.5 mil in 2014. I don't think he will take less than $9 mil per season. He's probably looking for a long-term contract, might be for four to five years and possibly $18 - $20 mil guaranteed. Golden Tate signed a 5-year contract with the Lions for $31 mil with $13.25 guaranteed and Jackson is a better receiver than him.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how people get blinded by talent and throw character out the window. Jackson is mentally deficient and needs constant attention. We don't need the distraction, we already signed weak minded, Jonathan Martin.[/QUOTE]

Ya, that one was really bad. Embarrassing, frankly. I was a Chris Culliver supporter but I'd shit can that son of a bitch too.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring him in, the rams just signed Kenny brit, with our locker room any childish shit would not be tolerated