• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners contact eagles about DeSean Jackson

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He called the NFL "modern day slavery." Credibility: gone.

More on athletes getting paid. Adrian Peterson of Minnesota Vikings says college athletes should be paid - ESPN

I read some saying the scholarships weren't four years for those who went the NFL after two years. I'm thinking, "no duh." You want four years? Stay in school. This is not what they want most often anyway if they are NFL-worthy. Even when Leinart stayed four years, it wasn't for education. It was for partying, girls, and to avoid the Niners. Even when Alex Smith got a real education, it was graduating in two years.

I did propose that deferred education be a choice. Maybe even towards their kids to an even dollar/credit value in the future.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go to the NFL you have to be a special kind of retard to not be able to pay for school for yourself or kids.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go to the NFL you have to be a special kind of retard to not be able to pay for school for yourself or kids.

They exist, don't they?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they deserve some special protection, though? They made their money. If they fuck it up I have no sympathy.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they deserve some special protection, though? They made their money. If they fuck it up I have no sympathy.

Me neither, but the proposal was in lieu of payment in college and with other options. I said they could require only general education courses and sports related courses for the first two years (offer more, but only require these) - like handling interviews, managing money, and other communications courses. It could be only for the athletes. Sure, it'd be a sham in some parts, but isn't it already? It has potential if any of the thousand athletes or hundreds of instructors care. It isn't like they care now. I know most won't make the big bucks, but they all have to manage money. Interview skills don't apply much to those not advancing, but they could substitute if needed or it would fall under the many other unnecessary courses college student take. I'd want real effort by instructors to educate and real grades, but what do I care?

Then, those who actually want an education could talk to an advisor and have options for either a few majors (I know schedules are awful), deferment, or something else. Those who stay past the two years of general education can go onto the communications degree (or if they declared something else as mentioned above). Then, those who left after the two years, could freeze the scholarship and come back after their career (not all prospects make it very long). Those who make it in the professional leagues could get their value either from completing their degree, giving it to their kid (this is where it came up), donating it to another student (tax deductible and helpful to the student), or as a donation to the athletic department (like partial locker-room support - get their name on a locker or whatnot). The school pays for this like they would have for a four year scholarship.

This would be in conjunction with medical care for sports injuries, guaranteed scholarships for those injured (but not for those who just quit - and this would be subject to school discipline if found to improperly categorize an injured as a dropout). I would not be opposed to a reasonable stipend. What that is, I don't know. Athletes should be able to sign autographs for money, sell jerseys, work when it doesn't conflict, etc., subject to reasonable rules set by the coach (i.e., no autograph sessions night before game, etc.). They would have to accept consequences for being distracted (playing poorly, losing, getting replaced if the backup gets better), if they get so.

I don't like the idea of paying athletes straight out. I don't care what the NCAA or schools make, don't pay them. I do care what the schools do with the money and feel that the schools should make more and have more power than they do in relation to the NCAA. I want the money to be spent helping students and/or athletes, not pocketed. Too wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator: