• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners contact eagles about DeSean Jackson

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't actually seen the article, but a buddy of mine told me that Rottowire said Harbaugh isn't very pleased with the progression of Patton. Again I'm paraphrasing because I haven't seen the article. That's just what I heard. Hopefully it isn't true because I like Patton a lot. I still think we have to take at least 2 WR's in the draft. It's a very deep class and we need to secure our WR corps for the future with Boldin aging and Crabtree possibly becoming a FA.

I agree. We need to get one or two guys for the future, and this is the perfect draft to get some good WR's. But we need corners NOW if we're going to make a serious push at a championship.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he's not exactly the speed guy that everyone looks for in a WR. But personally, I think there's WAY too much emphasis on that measurement and I doubt it correlates much, if at all, to NFL success.

AJ Jenkins ran a 4.39 and we all know what happened there. Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 and we all know what happened there.

Quinton Patton ran a 4.48, the same time as AJ Green. Faster than Brandon Marshall's and Dez Bryant's 4.52. These are just a few extreme examples, with some more extreme than others. I suspect that we would continue to see a lack of a correlation between speed and WR success.

The bottom line for me is, can the guy play or can he not play? In my opinion, he can play. So get his ass on the field. I don't care about tenths or hundredths of a second.

The thing with speed though is you need it somewhere. You already have two very good possession receivers, so ideally your third guy has the ability to stretch the field and keep defenses honest. Not having anyone who can stretch the field makes it far easier to defend you.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing with speed though is you need it somewhere. You already have two very good possession receivers, so ideally your third guy has the ability to stretch the field and keep defenses honest. Not having anyone who can stretch the field makes it far easier to defend you.

I disagree.

Hypothetical scenario: Suppose the 49ers picked up AJ Green and for whatever reason, had him as the 3rd receiver. Would this, or would this not, cause match-up problems for the opposing defense?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot can obviously happen but I'd be totally surprised if Cooks was there. Shocked even.
You haven't been shocked by a draft before? JK! I think the 9ers will yet again leave most head scratching about the picks. I gave up on hoping for any prospect and just watching but my current mock draft has Cooks falling to the 30th pick. Anything can happen.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks
I haven't been paying much attention as to what 9er fans are hoping for in the first round. I want to see a top WR picked because Crabs might walk in 2015 and Boldin isn't getting any younger. Cooks would be a greak pick but my top guy is Evans. Watkins I would rank higher than Cooks. I also wouldn't mind a top CB pick like Gilbert or Dennard in the first round. Who are you looking to get?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to land Evans if we sign Djax. Lets Go 49ers sign him now.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want the Niners to sign Desean Jackson? '

Would Crabtree go to the bench in that scenario?

it would be crabtree starting with boldin being the #3. not to mention the amount of different formations we can put out there.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DeSean Jackson - WR - Free Agent

Buffalo News' Tim Graham reports the Bills only are interested in free agent DeSean Jackson at a "predetermined price" and will not get into a bidding war.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport labeled the Bills a "wild card" landing spot for Jackson, but with the list of teams interested in Jackson growing by the minute, it is unlikely the Bills can land Jackson on their terms. The Raiders and Chiefs have emerged as the favorites to land Jackson's services.
Related: Bills
Source: Tim Graham on Twitter

Mar 29 - 1:09 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Buffalo News' Tim Graham reports the Bills only are interested in free agent DeSean Jackson at a "predetermined price" and will not get into a bidding war.

In other words: Jackson is not going to be a Buffalo Bill.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs should sign Jackson and release Bowe

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bowe's as big of a cap hit to cut as to keep this year give or take some, I think.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although he would be perfect for the Niner offense, can't have no gangster wanna bes on the team.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although he would be perfect for the Niner offense, can't have no gangster wanna bes on the team.

Undersized WR's like Jackson and Harvin just don't last in the NFL. Their greatest asset is their speed and quickness and those will diminish year after year. They are also far to injury prone due to the size they are giving up. I honestly think teams over pay for players like them. Sure they can be game changers, but that's if you can keep them on the field and only during their first few season in the league.

I mean look at Seattle and what they are paying for Harvin, and yet they don't even need him. That money could have kept Tate and at least one of the corners easily or giving them more to go after a free agent replacement for some of the players they lost. Instead they are stuck paying out that big contract for a player that really had 0 impact on a Super Bowl year for them.

Jackson is still under 30, but with character issues and the inevitable decline in his ability coming you have to wonder what type of contract he can expect. I wouldn't be willing to offer to anything over 4 years and would be happiest at 3. The contract would have also have to be structured to where I could easily get out of it after 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's funny how people get blinded by talent and throw character out the window. Jackson is mentally deficient and needs constant attention. We don't need the distraction, we already signed weak minded, Jonathan Martin.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs have dropped out of the running for free agent DeSean Jackson.

This should send up an immediate red flag to other interested teams, based on coach Andy Reid's history with Jackson. Kansas City also has a wide receiver need. Per RapSheet, the Chiefs "did research" on D-Jax, and opted against signing him. Jackson is scheduled to visit the Redskins on Monday. Many national reporters expect Dan Snyder to out-bid the field for 27-year-old Jackson.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 29 - 9:38 PM

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny how people get blinded by talent and throw character out the window. Jackson is mentally deficient and needs constant attention. We don't need the distraction, we already signed weak minded, Jonathan Martin.

Jackson can handle stress. He'll be fine. He's not Martin.