• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners contact eagles about DeSean Jackson

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd actually like one of each. I'd like to trade up into the end of the first to have 2 firsts.. I'd be thrilled with any combination of Beckham, Cooks, or Matthews AND Fuller, Verrett or Roby.

Two first rounders is unlikely, if only because of where we pick in the first and the fact that Seattle almost certainly won't trade with us, but I could see us trading a second and a third to get into the early second.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That title's really misrepresenting the tone, though.

I thought so, too, but the bottom line is that one of Eagles' core players thinks that getting rid of the team's leading receiver was the right thing to do.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what he said.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually like one of each. I'd like to trade up into the end of the first to have 2 firsts.. I'd be thrilled with any combination of Beckham, Cooks, or Matthews AND Fuller, Verrett or Roby.
Cooks could be landed at our first round pick IMO. I'm still with the Evans trade-up if needed and I also know I'm mostly alone about that one.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He does bring up some good points, albeit in a crude manner.

I have to agree here. Pozz let out your dislike of DJax, it needs to be understood. Derrick Ward isn't saying anything stupid here.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two first rounders is unlikely, if only because of where we pick in the first and the fact that Seattle almost certainly won't trade with us, but I could see us trading a second and a third to get into the early second.

I hear you, but I'd bet Carolina's pick is in play. They have so many holes to fill and no money to spend on any remaining FA's. Those 2 2's and 2 (tradeable) 3's give us ammo to move up into the first if need be. I just get the sense that the roster limitations we have in terms of available roster spots will preclude us moving up for impact guys. At least that's what I hope...:)

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooks could be landed at our first round pick IMO. I'm still with the Evans trade-up if needed and I also know I'm mostly alone about that one.

A lot can obviously happen but I'd be totally surprised if Cooks was there. Shocked even.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source: Panthers have no interest in DeSean Jackson | ProFootballTalk

I literally could talk for 10 minutes on Jackson and the feelings I have on him. I'm fighting off the urge to just go off and fighting off another urge to say just ONE thing on Desean but I don't know what one thing I'd want to say if I could only say one thing on him. Maybe I'll just say I wouldn't touch him with a 10,000 foot long pole if you actually paid me to poke him. The reasons for that are many and all justified IMO.

For the love of SportsHoopla, Pozz, don't fight the feeling!

Last edited by a moderator:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be interested in getting DeSean but I highly doubt that we'll go after him. For the same reason, I don't think we'll be going after a WR in the first round. The reason: Quinton Patton.

I don't know about you guys, but I loved what Patton showed last year and I really don't want to push him down the depth chart. I want him to get plenty of playing time. I agree that we need to draft at least 1 WR, but I'm thinking it will be done with a 2nd round pick. We have bigger priorities with the 1st round pick. We need to use it on getting an immediate upgrade at corner.

49ers use their #1 pick on a corner, not a WR.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be interested in getting DeSean but I highly doubt that we'll go after him. For the same reason, I don't think we'll be going after a WR in the first round. The reason: Quinton Patton.

I don't know about you guys, but I loved what Patton showed last year and I really don't want to push him down the depth chart. I want him to get plenty of playing time. I agree that we need to draft at least 1 WR, but I'm thinking it will be done with a 2nd round pick. We have bigger priorities with the 1st round pick. We need to use it on getting an immediate upgrade at corner.

49ers use their #1 pick on a corner, not a WR.

I haven't actually seen the article, but a buddy of mine told me that Rottowire said Harbaugh isn't very pleased with the progression of Patton. Again I'm paraphrasing because I haven't seen the article. That's just what I heard. Hopefully it isn't true because I like Patton a lot. I still think we have to take at least 2 WR's in the draft. It's a very deep class and we need to secure our WR corps for the future with Boldin aging and Crabtree possibly becoming a FA.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I haven't actually seen the article, but a buddy of mine told me that Rottowire said Harbaugh isn't very pleased with the progression of Patton. Again I'm paraphrasing because I haven't seen the article. That's just what I heard. Hopefully it isn't true because I like Patton a lot. I still think we have to take at least 2 WR's in the draft. It's a very deep class and we need to secure our WR corps for the future with Boldin aging and Crabtree possibly becoming a FA.

Quinton Patton - San Francisco 49ers - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Harbs is giving Patton the Jenkins treatment from the looks of it.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The issue with Patton is he's another possession WR and with Crabtree and Boldin already having a firm lock on being our possession WR he's more of a guy that we'll need when/if Crabtree and/or Boldin aren't on the team anymore.

What we need is a speedy explosive guy so we can stretch and stress defenses more effectively. Pair up Davis with another explosive guy and have Crabs and Boldin underneath it's a pretty tough combination of guys for defenses to cover.

Which is why I don't think Harbaugh was really being down on Patton but he just doesn't fill the role we need on offense right now.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with Patton is he's another possession WR and with Crabtree and Boldin already having a firm lock on being our possession WR he's more of a guy that we'll need when/if Crabtree and/or Boldin aren't on the team anymore.

What we need is a speedy explosive guy so we can stretch and stress defenses more effectively. Pair up Davis with another explosive guy and have Crabs and Boldin underneath it's a pretty tough combination of guys for defenses to cover.

Which is why I don't think Harbaugh was really being down on Patton but he just doesn't fill the role we need on offense right now.

You're right on this one Jikkle. Patton doesn't have breakaway speed and is a possession WR. He won't see much time on the field with Boldin and Crabtree, but I hope he keeps working with the possibility of Crabtree not resigning after 2014. Niners definitely need a WR that can stretch the field and make team play a seven-man front instead of eight against the Niners.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but I just can't support this. Yeah sure he's talented, but he's a cancerous human being. As soon as someone signs a contract that he feels he should be getting, he starts whining for a new contract. Every single time. Look at some of the boneheaded shit he pulls on the field as well. I cannot stand him and don't want him on our team. :2cents:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that he's not exactly the speed guy that everyone looks for in a WR. But personally, I think there's WAY too much emphasis on that measurement and I doubt it correlates much, if at all, to NFL success.

AJ Jenkins ran a 4.39 and we all know what happened there. Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 and we all know what happened there.

Quinton Patton ran a 4.48, the same time as AJ Green. Faster than Brandon Marshall's and Dez Bryant's 4.52. These are just a few extreme examples, with some more extreme than others. I suspect that we would continue to see a lack of a correlation between speed and WR success.

The bottom line for me is, can the guy play or can he not play? In my opinion, he can play. So get his ass on the field. I don't care about tenths or hundredths of a second.