• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners contact eagles about DeSean Jackson

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Desean is to Revis when it comes to the money they demand. There's no getting around that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't agree with this. Davis, Boldin, and Crabtree are all good in the red zone. McDonald has the size to be very good if he can improve his concentration. The biggest problems with the red zone offense are playcalling and Kap. It's not the weapons in that part of the field. This offense desperately needs outside speed. That is the single greatest need by far. It would be great to find a guy with size and speed, but I'm of the opinion that speed has to be the priority.

And people have a tendency to associate size with red zone threat. The biggest guys are not always the best in the red zone. That's not an endorsement of Jackson, who isn't great in the red zone (only six receptions last year, though half were TDs). But plenty of smaller guys are effective in the red zone. Welker is one of the best red zone threats in the game.

agree the bigger problem is Kaep, but not all of it is on him. so if all of these receivers are so good in the RZ, where were the results? at this point, you're just speculating on McDonald.

certainly have no problem adding speed, but not via DJ after factoring other things beside speed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
agree the bigger problem is Kaep, but not all of it is on him. so if all of these receivers are so good in the RZ, where were the results? at this point, you're just speculating on McDonald.

certainly have no problem adding speed, but not via DJ after factoring other things beside speed.

As said, I think the playcalling is a serious problem in the red zone as well. We have considerable weapons in the red zone.

Vernon Davis is an elite red zone threat. On two occasions, he has put up what amounts to the third best TD marks for a TE in a season. He had 8 red zone TDs this year. Only two other TEs had more TDs than that period.

Boldin had six TDs inside the red zone this year, and has six seasons with at least seven TDs.

When healthy and playing with Kap, Crabtree had eight TDs in ten games, four coming inside the red zone.

We have a very good run-blocking OL.

Could we use more weapons in the red zone? Of course. But the biggest problem in that part of the field is not the receiving talent. It is, as said, the playcalling and the QB's vision. The biggest overall failing of this offense in general - at least in terms of talent - is the lack of speed at WR.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As said, I think the playcalling is a serious problem in the red zone as well. We have considerable weapons in the red zone.

Vernon Davis is an elite red zone threat. On two occasions, he has put up what amounts to the third best TD marks for a TE in a season. He had 8 red zone TDs this year. Only two other TEs had more TDs than that period.

Boldin had six TDs inside the red zone this year, and has six seasons with at least seven TDs.

When healthy and playing with Kap, Crabtree had eight TDs in ten games, four coming inside the red zone.

We have a very good run-blocking OL.

Could we use more weapons in the red zone? Of course. But the biggest problem in that part of the field is not the receiving talent. It is, as said, the playcalling and the QB's vision. The biggest overall failing of this offense in general - at least in terms of talent - is the lack of speed at WR.

Well-stated Crimson. Niners need speed in the offensive side. Hopefully Roman will utilize this asset with better playcalling.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"And would Jackson be happy here? He could be the final piece in a successful Super Bowl run, but there’s little chance he’d replicate his 2013 numbers. The 49ers are the opposite of the Eagles offensively – San Francisco’s offense is based on a methodical running game, not an uptempo passing game.

That not only means fewer opportunities for Jackson but also some dirty work – slant routes, seal blocks on defensive end and linebackers and downfield blocks on long passes and runs. Is Jackson willing to do that regularly? And at his size, how effective will he be?"

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really hope this doesn't happen. And I'm pretty sure it won't. It's not what Baalke does. He refuses to sign a guy outside the team and make them the highest paid player on the team. I like that about Baalke, reward your guys. Draft Moncrief at WR and we should be good.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope this doesn't happen. And I'm pretty sure it won't. It's not what Baalke does. He refuses to sign a guy outside the team and make them the highest paid player on the team. I like that about Baalke, reward your guys. Draft Moncrief at WR and we should be good.

I am not worried about it. The 49ers have kicked alot of tires this offseason but are frugal on other team's FE. I heard they made a lowball offer to Thurmand. Didnt go anywhere with Emanuel Sanders. There is nothing that would leave me to believe the 49ers are going to make a big financial committment to this guy.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, what they say means nothing and a denial is expected either way (or no comment), but here's this: GM Denies Discussing Trade for DeSean Jackson

As of this moment, whatever that means. They weren't "pursuing" Manning but flew out there privately, for whatever that's worth.

This, however, is a bit less expected because you don't want to express interest in someone you hope is released (sooner the better?) or traded to you for the minimum possible: Woody Johnson says New York Jets have interest in DeSean Jackson - ESPN New York

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Now PFT is saying we're very interested in DeSean Jackson.

I'll buy that report since I think we would've traded for him already if it wasn't for the whole him making 10.5 million this season and us having 3 million in cap room.

I still would be surprised if the deal gets done since Jackson is all about the money and the 9ers just don't have/won't give him what he wants and he could get more with the Jets or Raiders.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copy and paste from a comment section to an article:

According to ProFootballTalk, the 49ers are “very interested” in DeSean Jackson.

Predictably, GM Trent Baalke’s denial on this matter carries little weight. The Niners have been aggressively trying to upgrade their receiving corps this offseason, as they reportedly pursued free agents Golden Tate, Julian Edelman and Hakeem Nicks. Jackson, a California native who played his college ball at Cal, would bring a long speed dimension to a unit that currently features possession guys in Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin. The Eagles’ asking price on D-Jax is likely sinking as they’ve exposed their hand. No one around the league believes there’s any way he’s back in Philly.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copy and paste from a comment section to an article:

According to ProFootballTalk, the 49ers are “very interested” in DeSean Jackson.

Predictably, GM Trent Baalke’s denial on this matter carries little weight. The Niners have been aggressively trying to upgrade their receiving corps this offseason, as they reportedly pursued free agents Golden Tate, Julian Edelman and Hakeem Nicks. Jackson, a California native who played his college ball at Cal, would bring a long speed dimension to a unit that currently features possession guys in Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin. The Eagles’ asking price on D-Jax is likely sinking as they’ve exposed their hand. No one around the league believes there’s any way he’s back in Philly.

What I don't get is how this all works. There is no way San Francisco is going to pay his contract. The reason why the 49ers have been quiet in FA is due to the team not wanting to pay big bucks for free agents. Are they going to ask him to restructure after a trade?

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would love to have him, we would be the fav to win it all with Crabs, Boldin, D-jax and Davis

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will happen. Patriots have a better shot at him. The Niners' offense is predicated on run first. He's also not going to take less money by restructuring his contract and I don't blame him. None of us would take less money.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don't get is how this all works. There is no way San Francisco is going to pay his contract. The reason why the 49ers have been quiet in FA is due to the team not wanting to pay big bucks for free agents. Are they going to ask him to restructure after a trade?

I'm not sure of this, but I think you have to be under the cap enough to take on any player you trade for at the time of the trade. After that you can restructure. There are ways for DeSean to restructure with the Eagles and then trade; obviously, they can talk about that if that was an option. It would be pretty shitty to restructure then not trade. Then he would hold out. I'm sure there's a way to make one be contingent upon the other. This is all moot because Jackson is not going to restructure with anyone. He could be cut and if so he would go to the highest bidder. That would not be us, even though we could structure the contract in the most favorable way to us. It would still be too much. I don't see him as a player who just wants to win.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Part of me thinks this whole DJax alleged interest and seeking a 3rd WR is a smokescreen to move up for a CB in the first round.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Part of me thinks this whole DJax alleged interest and seeking a 3rd WR is a smokescreen to move up for a CB in the first round.

I agree. We have been kicking the tires with every single WR FA possible making it seem like we are absolutely desperate for a WR. Right now we have Crabs, Boldin, and Patton. We need to develop something there to replace Crabs and Boldin, but it's not even in the same ballpark as it was before. CB's are harder to get than WR's too.

Or maybe Baalke's making it look like WR smokescreen so everyone has us pinned to a CB move, but then we go ahead and pull a WR out of the hat! Waiting so long for this draft is making me loopy.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. We have been kicking the tires with every single WR FA possible making it seem like we are absolutely desperate for a WR. Right now we have Crabs, Boldin, and Patton. We need to develop something there to replace Crabs and Boldin, but it's not even in the same ballpark as it was before. CB's are harder to get than WR's too.

Or maybe Baalke's making it look like WR smokescreen so everyone has us pinned to a CB move, but then we go ahead and pull a WR out of the hat! Waiting so long for this draft is making me loopy.

But what if he's making it look like a WR smokescreen so they will think he's making a second level smoke screen because he wants a CB but will actually be picking a WR but he's actually making a third level smokescreen and he totes plans on picking a CB? WHAT THEN???

I would think that because this isn't most of these GM's first rodeos that they wouldn't be thinking about smokescreens too much. Then again these are human beings we are talking about so maybe they are easily duped.

Personally I think the 49ers are legitimately looking into both CBs and WRs. And because I said that they'll probably pick like an OG or RB in the first.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes my previous post was being sarcastic. I bet it is ridiculous how many if>then scenarios Baalke has worked out for this draft to address WR and CB needs. He will have this broken the draft into cluster areas of positional talent, and looked to get in and out of certain draft slots to maximize value.

I have two concerns about Baalke in this draft: 1) will he get too antsy and trade up too high in the first and 2) will he get too creative with the first few picks.

When he traded up for Antony Davis I was really baffled. Understood the Reid move, but thought he got too aggressive when other safety options were there. The Aldon Smith was a great creative pick, but the Jenkins pick ended up being terrible. Our need and the strength of this draft is laid out so nice that he probably shouldn't get too creative or aggressive. I'd prefer to avoid a major move up unless there starts to be a major run on WR or CB.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. I don't want to trade up unless a great talent starts falling (for example, Watkins falling into the teens or something). Would much rather take what the draft gives us and/or trade for picks next year. I don't think any position (save for probably CB) has such a dire need that we have to go out and get one in the draft.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They appear to be bringing in people and lowballing them hoping to find a FA on the cheap.