• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners contact eagles about DeSean Jackson

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetically, let's assume that the Eagles are only asking for a 3rd and a 5th, which in and of itself is chump change. In the Madden bubble, I would do that trade yesterday. But the contract is really the sticking point. If DJax were willing to restructure his contract through an extension, then I would be far more for it. His presence would certainly open up our offense. The question is whether or not Harbaugh/Roman are willing to open that offense up or not.

I would rather trade up for Cooks as a cheaper option, but if DJax is willing to sign a cap friendly extension, I would be ok with that instead.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just draft cooks and we will have that player. Cheaper option

yes, this makes more sense. it doesn't have to be Cooks, but draft a WR who can run like the wind. if we're looking for a deep threat to open up the field, draft one of these fast WR's who'll also be groomed to start in 2015.

why does it have to be DJ at $10.5M? as already mentioned, we won't be throwing deep often.

again, our BIG problem is in the red zone. it is mainly Kaep but if we're going to add a "role playing WR", it should be for the RZ.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is exactly what the Niners' offense is missing, and I was all for signing him when he was a FA. But there's no way I'd want to trade for that guy at this point. There are too many good WR in the draft, and the Niners' need to be focused like a laser beam on upgrading the secondary.

This. I hope the 9ers realize how deep WR and CB is this year. The fact that they are looking at a lot of guys like Verrett, Gilbert, Evans, ect. shows me they are. I just hope they don't get too excited about Evans.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson is exactly what the Niners' offense is missing, and I was all for signing him when he was a FA. But there's no way I'd want to trade for that guy at this point. There are too many good WR in the draft, and the Niners' need to be focused like a laser beam on upgrading the secondary.

This.

It reminds of the Mike Wallace restricted year and Harvin last year. We had picks to easily make the deals but the contracts on top of the picks were too prohibitive. Same with the Revis smoke of last year. This FO does not make deals like this. While I'd love DeSean on this team-and was pissed beyond belief that we passed on him the first time-it's just too much.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor in Boston is that Belichick has offered Kelly a second round pick in return for Jackson and a late Eagles pick. Also, Belichick and the Pats brass want to discuss a restructure of Jackson's contract before they do the deal. Heard that he'll get his guaranteed money, only they want to spread it a bit further, most likely add two years.

I just wish the rumors had a source named................like Rappaport or Schecter

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes, this makes more sense. it doesn't have to be Cooks, but draft a WR who can run like the wind. if we're looking for a deep threat to open up the field, draft one of these fast WR's who'll also be groomed to start in 2015.

why does it have to be DJ at $10.5M? as already mentioned, we won't be throwing deep often.

again, our BIG problem is in the red zone. it is mainly Kaep but if we're going to add a "role playing WR", it should be for the RZ.

I just don't agree with this. Davis, Boldin, and Crabtree are all good in the red zone. McDonald has the size to be very good if he can improve his concentration. The biggest problems with the red zone offense are playcalling and Kap. It's not the weapons in that part of the field. This offense desperately needs outside speed. That is the single greatest need by far. It would be great to find a guy with size and speed, but I'm of the opinion that speed has to be the priority.

And people have a tendency to associate size with red zone threat. The biggest guys are not always the best in the red zone. That's not an endorsement of Jackson, who isn't great in the red zone (only six receptions last year, though half were TDs). But plenty of smaller guys are effective in the red zone. Welker is one of the best red zone threats in the game.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should also run pick plays in the rz.... Like freaking slants lol

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, persistently running fades to Crabtree seems to be working pretty well for us to date....

It got us within one play of a SB victory and one SB appearance. We should have promoted KW to main punt returner, too. ;)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm late on this, but I just don't see this happening. Guy makes too much money. Maybe if he restructured his deal.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm late on this, but I just don't see this happening. Guy makes too much money. Maybe if he restructured his deal.

I'm sure he'd restructure his deal...by getting paid more money! It might be tweakable to giving more guaranteed money after this year, but we've got quite a few of our own guys looking for a piece of that pie in the next few years.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As someone who saw DeSean play at Memorial, this would be a dream move but it's not happening.

If I were DeSean, I would go to an offense that would use my talents in the right system, and that's not for the team who has the 30th ranked pass offense in all of the NFL. Granted, Kaep should hopefully improve, although everything at this point is conjecture. If I were DeSean, I'm taking my talents to New England whose system would suit my style and where I would be playing with the better QB at this point in Brady.

Yup, you heard it here, my boy D Jax is going to NE.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if he doesn't cut his salary by 30% minimum he isn't.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As someone who saw DeSean play at Memorial, this would be a dream move but it's not happening.

If I were DeSean, I would go to an offense that would use my talents in the right system, and that's not for the team who has the 30th ranked pass offense in all of the NFL. Granted, Kaep should hopefully improve, although everything at this point is conjecture. If I were DeSean, I'm taking my talents to New England whose system would suit my style and where I would be playing with the better QB at this point in Brady.

Yup, you heard it here, my boy D Jax is going to NE.

If you were Desean, you'd go wherever the team that holds your rights traded you.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except his willingness to deal is almost certainly a prerequisite to a trade, so he absolutely has leverage.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jackson reportedly already wants a bigger deal and would push for a salary increase if traded to another team, according to Jackie MacMullan's sources.

Jackson would be one of the last receivers in the league I'd want to see the team trade for. I also don't buy into the belief that he's a new man after "maturing" recently. I just don't buy that right now and I'd be terrified and would fully expect him to pull a variety of ridiculous stunts again on any team.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were Desean, you'd go wherever the team that holds your rights traded you.

Yup, although to this point, only two teams so far have inquired about him, and if I were him, it's a no brainer where I'm going between SF and NE