• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Saban blocking transfers

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just a case of Saban being vindictive. Why can't you just admit it?

Also, you didn't respond to the fact that, as you've claimed over and over again, all scholarships are for one year.

Because not all of them are. Some are one year and they do offer the four year scholarship. This was done a few years back, but many players choose the one year option for themselves as well. So this is not purely on the University. Trying to make it so shows a measure of ignorance if you ask me.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find it ironic that the Michigan fans in this thread are piling on Saban and Alabama when Michigan did the exact same thing 4 months ago.

Everyone said/did the same things 4 months ago.

But now it's about Saban, so it doesn't even matter what the topic is, everyone immediately piles on that Saban is evil and wrong.

And the odd part about it is, if the rule was/is different then Alabama/Saban is likely the team that would benefit the most, not the least. Where do you think the better grad transfers will want to go for their final year? It ain't Kentucky.

I still wouldn't trade with them.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because not all of them are. Some are one year and they do offer the four year scholarship. This was done a few years back, but many players choose the one year option for themselves as well. So this is not purely on the University. Trying to make it so shows a measure of ignorance if you ask me.

Your buddy 4down20 is the one who has claimed over and over that players should have no expectation beyond their one-year scholarship renewals. So, he must be the one you refer to as showing a "measure of ignorance." I'm not trying to make anything "so." And, in this case Saban is obviously being vindictive. All Michigan's scholarship offers (as well as those of others in the B1G) are for four years.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone said/did the same things 4 months ago.

But now it's about Saban, so it doesn't even matter what the topic is, everyone immediately piles on that Saban is evil and wrong.

And the odd part about it is, if the rule was/is different then Alabama/Saban is likely the team that would benefit the most, not the least. Where do you think the better grad transfers will want to go for their final year? It ain't Kentucky.

I still wouldn't trade with them.

If Michigan did the same thing, I think that's vindictive and hypocritical, too. That's my point. Alabama fanboys are just unable to admit that Saban is vindictive and that this was not one of his finer moments.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Michigan did the same thing, I think that's vindictive and hypocritical, too. That's my point. Alabama fanboys are just unable to admit that Saban is vindictive and that this was not one of his finer moments.

It's not vindictive, the rule exists for a reason.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not vindictive, the rule exists for a reason.

Your argument for the rule would be stronger if Saban hadn't already acted against the rule for another player. Otherwise, he's just a hypocrite.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your argument for the rule would be stronger if Saban hadn't already acted against the rule for another player. Otherwise, he's just a hypocrite.

So because a guy was given a transfer in completely different circumstances, everyone should get one?

No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question: If I give 1 guy begging for money a little cash, but then the next one I see I don't give it to him, does that also mean I am a hypocrite?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get and understand the graduate transfer rule. I think if a kid can get more playing time by leaving they should do whats best for them.

The same I think teams need to look out for their best interest. Harbaugh has changed UofM recruiting and does not guarantee 5th year scholarships. I think it's a bad look but you want to win so it's a trade off. If Harbaugh says you need to go elsewhere then the player should not have restrictions.

The problem is when it's hard to tell if a kid just wants to leave or the coach is pushing him out. This is definitely one of those situations college football needs some consistency.

Saban is playing by the rules, not a good look for him....the same it's not a good look for UofM when Harbs tells a 5th year guy to move on. But it's the way of big time college football and the bottom line is winning. The kid can go to Georgia Tech just as easily Saban is right because thats the rules!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It "ain't" Alabama either. Go look at the grad transfer list over say the last 5 years -- tell me which players Bama would be lining up for?

Grad Transfers are for players who most likely are not making it in the NFL, so they want to try and get an extra year of football and grad school paid for. Some are good enough to go and start at many schools. I'm guessing Bama is not one of them and they aren't going to sign with Bama to sit on the sidelines and they aren't going to Bama for the academics.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It "ain't" Alabama either. Go look at the grad transfer list over say the last 5 years -- tell me which players Bama would be lining up for?

Grad Transfers are for players who most likely are not making it in the NFL, so they want to try and get an extra year of football and grad school paid for. Some are good enough to go and start at many schools. I'm guessing Bama is not one of them and they aren't going to sign with Bama to sit on the sidelines and they aren't going to Bama for the academics.

We have 3 grad transfers that I can think of off the top of my head in just the past 2 years. a QB and 2 WR's.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so now that saban has said yes to 2 players in the conference how does he say no to a 3rd? and if he says no does this set the precedent that plead to the media you get your way?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your buddy 4down20 is the one who has claimed over and over that players should have no expectation beyond their one-year scholarship renewals. So, he must be the one you refer to as showing a "measure of ignorance." I'm not trying to make anything "so." And, in this case Saban is obviously being vindictive. All Michigan's scholarship offers (as well as those of others in the B1G) are for four years.

How is he being vindictive? He is following the rules of the conference his University is in. Cant see how following rules is vindictive. I guess if you get a speeding ticket, the cop was just being vindictive, right? Rules are made to be followed by one and all and its up to the discretion of said coaches to make allowances based on the issues. This one had a recent hire of our DC as their HC and in this case he chose not to allow said player to transfer based on that criteria. He was within his rights to do so and the SEC has two options now, allow the transfer based on the recommendation of the school, or not.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so now that saban has said yes to 2 players in the conference how does he say no to a 3rd? and if he says no does this set the precedent that plead to the media you get your way?

It's up to the SEC office now. I'm leaning that the SEC still makes him sit out a year, but they might give in to public pressure/lawsuits.

If the SEC allows this transfer then the rule is done.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is he being vindictive? He is following the rules of the conference his University is in. Cant see how following rules is vindictive. I guess if you get a speeding ticket, the cop was just being vindictive, right? Rules are made to be followed by one and all and its up to the discretion of said coaches to make allowances based on the issues. This one had a recent hire of our DC as their HC and in this case he chose not to allow said player to transfer based on that criteria. He was within his rights to do so and the SEC has two options now, allow the transfer based on the recommendation of the school, or not.

She's just a part of entitlement culture.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup, you're right. Then, why didn't Saban follow the rule for the other player he released?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's up to the SEC office now. I'm leaning that the SEC still makes him sit out a year, but they might give in to public pressure/lawsuits.

If the SEC allows this transfer then the rule is done.

Well, don't hold your breath. My prediction is that the SEC will allow it since the conference allowed it for the other player, and it won't want the bad press.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see, the kid graduated, is not on financial aid and is no longer part of the University. Giving him a release seems like the perfect solution to end this whining and yammering from his "entitled' mother and himself. My guess is Saban did this with the knowledge that the SEC is going to either make this kid sweat a bit and then allow him to transfer, or enforce its one year waiting period before he can play. Either way, good riddance, but thanks for being a part of the only title team you will get to be on while part of the SEC.

Saban could have just gave him this release anyway considering Georgia is not on alabamas schedule. You know, so the dumb gumps on this forum didn't have to go through all the "whining" and the kid being "entitled" as you state.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirby Smart agrees with Saban back in March.

The difference is Kirby smart doesn't let one kid transfer to an sec east foe and another not. Both of which are visibly absent from alabamas schedule.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, you're right. Then, why didn't Saban follow the rule for the other player he released?

Because it was up to his discretion to allow or not allow and he did so based on that team not having a recent transfer of one of our coaches to that team as HC or any other capacity. It is based on the coaches discretion. You obviously can see that one situation is not like the other. Its apples to land mines.