• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Saban blocking transfers

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt seriously if she threatened anything. My guess he let her speak her mind and that was that. He released the kid due to his not being part of the University any longer. He graduated and was not enrolled in upcoming classes. He was done and had not accepted a grant in aid for the upcoming semester. Whats left but to grant a release? Can you think of anything left to do, since apparently you and the WV guy are so knowledgeable about Alabama athletic department procedures.

Why didn't he grant the release in the first place? Since you and the rest of gumpville seems to be bringing up rules when no one is arguing that Saban broke any.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you can't have both?
Hey - here's a shock . . I didn't suggest you couldn't! In fact, I didn't insinuate it. And in fact, no reasonable person would have interpreted my comment in such a way as to conclude that I did. If only there was a name for this particular argumentative gambit . . .

What I said was that Athletics should never drive the boat at the expense of academics. Having a large number of players who have successfully navigated the rigors of obtaining a degree from the University of Alabama while also achieving excellence on the football field would indicate that Alabama agrees with me - the area of academics is important.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey - here's a shock . . I didn't suggest you couldn't! In fact, I didn't insinuate it. And in fact, no reasonable person would have interpreted my comment in such a way as to conclude that I did. If only there was a name for this particular argumentative gambit . . .

What I said was that Athletics should never drive the boat at the expense of academics. Having a large number of players who have successfully navigated the rigors of obtaining a degree from the University of Alabama while also achieving excellence on the football field would indicate that Alabama agrees with me - the area of academics is important.

So how is not allowing a kid to transfer to certain schools putting football over academics?

Is Georgia the only school that would take him?

Is Georgia the only school that has that program?

Is Georgia even the school with the best program in it?

Were there no other schools in the 114 other schools he was allowed to transfer with no problem that could have taken on this academic load?

If the kid was wanting to go to Stanford, I could see where not allowing a transfer would be putting football over academics. If he was being denied an actual academic opportunity, I could see it as being bad.

But it's obvious to most people when a move is purely football motivated, not academic related and academics are merely being used as the excuse. Yet you openly pretend as if it's not the actual case.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's just it. So does this mean every time a kid doesn't get a release of a waiver by Saban alls he has to do is disagree publicly and get his mom to have a 20 minute convo privately and the kid will be released because of being a "distraction"? That's an awful fine line.

You are right, Saban had no reason to not grant the release YET HE STILL DID. Only after the kid called him out on it and became a "distraction" did Saban give in.

I would say they both chose poor actions.

Not all kids leaving are created equal. Like with this present situation with Kendall Sheffield, rumor has it he has told Saban he wants to transfer to Georgia to follow Kirby. He is a second year player under a scholarship. He will not be granted a release if this is the situation because he has agreed to an obligation and he has not graduated. Mo had graduated, but it was not until he had that Saban granted him his release. See the difference? I hope you can.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't he grant the release in the first place? Since you and the rest of gumpville seems to be bringing up rules when no one is arguing that Saban broke any.

He had not graduated yet. I was informed by a friend inside the University that even the players know that Saban told Mo as soon as he was a graduate he would be granted a release for the SEC to decide if he can transfer to Georgia. I spoke with my friend on Sunday evening about this. Seems we have another player that might be trying to defect as well, but he cannot go without a release and sitting out atleast one year due to being under scholarship.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's just it. So does this mean every time a kid doesn't get a release of a waiver by Saban alls he has to do is disagree publicly and get his mom to have a 20 minute convo privately and the kid will be released because of being a "distraction"? That's an awful fine line.

You are right, Saban had no reason to not grant the release YET HE STILL DID. Only after the kid called him out on it and became a "distraction" did Saban give in.

I would say they both chose poor actions.

I might agree with you if the player and Saban had equal power. We both know that's not the case. What other possible avenue did the player have? Are you suggesting he should have just sucked it up and taken his lumps? Evidently the player was too smart to do that.