• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL refs still suck

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the league could publish reports post-game about all their admitted blown calls with absolutely no recourse like the NBA does. Stir the pot and piss people off even more.
sure....the NBA is great

NBA Board------------------------------------------------->

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure....the NBA is great

NBA Board------------------------------------------------->

I'm not saying that the NBA handles officiating better. That practice is worthless and annoying at best.

I didn't bring the NBA into this discussion, lol.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that the NBA handles officiating better. That practice is worthless and annoying at best.

The NFL does on occasion admit to blown calls and apologies to the team that was screwed. I'm sure those team fell so much better after that

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

was it a discussion?
I made a statement.

i e: my opinion that NBA stinks in the consistency department.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand refs can't see everything, but the ones involving the clock are not really forgivable. Last year against the Ravens they never get a shot at a record breaking field goal if they called the delay of game that happened. That was a 3 game season, so minor overall impact, but that call absolutely changed the final result of the game.

This week they allowed a huge play for GB after the 3rd quarter had ended.

Missing plays or using judgment to allow certain plays is fine. Clock should be right always.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you ever win an argument against a ref? I have. The refs had an arrangement with the timekeeper and they were shaving time off the clock so they could go home earlier. I caught them in the act. Made no difference, but we got to play longer.

I use to do that in an adult rec league when I ran the scoreboard. We'd have a game in the second half when a team was losing by 30+ points. If there were like 12 minutes left on the clock, when it switched to 11:59, I just made it 10:59. I could do this a few times without suspicion. I got brave a few times and moved it a full two minutes. I never got caught.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Referees Use Replay To Rescind Penalty Against Packers On Monday Night Football, Which No One Knew They Could Do

The Green Bay Packers started Monday Night Football against the Las Vegas Raiders with three-straight runs to AJ Dillon. On their fourth play, they went to the air for a screen to tight end Luke Musgrave.

Musgrave picked up 6 yards as the side judge tossed a yellow flag onto the field as Musgrave weaved through the Raiders’ defense.

Referee Brad Allen announced that there was an “ineligible player downfield” and referees assessed a 5-yard penalty on the Packers, wiping out the first-down gain.

Referees marked off the yardage, moving the ball back 5 yards from the initial line of scrimmage.

Shortly thereafter, with no apparent announcement, they moved the ball to the spot where Raiders defenders tackled Musgrave.

What?

It’s common for referees to get together and discuss penalties and decide to pick up a flag. It is not common for a referee to announce a penalty only to later say “wait, never mind.”

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Referees Use Replay To Rescind Penalty Against Packers On Monday Night Football, Which No One Knew They Could Do

The Green Bay Packers started Monday Night Football against the Las Vegas Raiders with three-straight runs to AJ Dillon. On their fourth play, they went to the air for a screen to tight end Luke Musgrave.

Musgrave picked up 6 yards as the side judge tossed a yellow flag onto the field as Musgrave weaved through the Raiders’ defense.

Referee Brad Allen announced that there was an “ineligible player downfield” and referees assessed a 5-yard penalty on the Packers, wiping out the first-down gain.

Referees marked off the yardage, moving the ball back 5 yards from the initial line of scrimmage.

Shortly thereafter, with no apparent announcement, they moved the ball to the spot where Raiders defenders tackled Musgrave.

What?

It’s common for referees to get together and discuss penalties and decide to pick up a flag. It is not common for a referee to announce a penalty only to later say “wait, never mind.”
I haven't seen the game but i'd be ok with this. I want them to get calls right. Most fouls are subjective so I don't really want them tampered with. An illegal man down field is much like a ball breaking the plane or a player being on/off the field when the ball is snapped. It is or it isn't...so let the replay get it right if it's a quick fix.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen the game but i'd be ok with this. I want them to get calls right. Most fouls are subjective so I don't really want them tampered with. An illegal man down field is much like a ball breaking the plane or a player being on/off the field when the ball is snapped. It is or it isn't...so let the replay get it right if it's a quick fix.
I would be ok with it if this was allowed. I do want them to get the calls right as well but it seems refs think they can do whatever they want without repercussions, in reality they can without penalty.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What?

It was input from the video ref I believe.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More beta crying about officiating. I'll say it again, no game has ever been decided by the refs. If you lost a game because of one bad ref called then you didn't play good enough to win. Build a bigger lead so one call doesn't screw you.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree - when the issue is not a subjective call, i.e. pass interference, I like the ability to get the call correct.

You start trying to do this with subjective calls, and it becomes a mess. NFL tried it in 2018, or 2019 in a knee-jerk reaction to the playoff P.I. non-call in the Rams/Saints game - and it was met with a lot of disdain overall. I think only a quarter of PI calls ended up being overturned anyway...it's so hard to make the call because there is contact on almost every pass/catch...just like there is holding on almost every snap. It just comes down to what each crew/ref considers "too much contact/holding" for them to throw the flag.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree - when the issue is not a subjective call, i.e. pass interference, I like the ability to get the call correct.

You start trying to do this with subjective calls, and it becomes a mess. NFL tried it in 2018, or 2019 in a knee-jerk reaction to the playoff P.I. non-call in the Rams/Saints game - and it was met with a lot of disdain overall. I think only a quarter of PI calls ended up being overturned anyway...it's so hard to make the call because there is contact on almost every pass/catch...just like there is holding on almost every snap. It just comes down to what each crew/ref considers "too much contact/holding" for them to throw the flag.
Exactly, much like every Umpire in baseball has different strike zones, every ref crew in the NFL has their own parameters of what they will and won't allow. Part of the coaches job will be knowing who is the crew and plan accordingly.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous penalties should be allowed to be reviewed with a challenge, and give the zebras 10 seconds to review, quick and simple.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, much like every Umpire in baseball has different strike zones, every ref crew in the NFL has their own parameters of what they will and won't allow. Part of the coaches job will be knowing who is the crew and plan accordingly.
That'd be fine if these guys weren't inconsistent as hell with their own calls within the same game.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reviewing of PI failed because the NFL officials refused to overturn anything even when the call on the field was obviously wrong.

They didn't want it to work, so it didn't.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reviewing of PI failed because the NFL officials refused to overturn anything even when the call on the field was obviously wrong.

They didn't want it to work, so it didn't.
Americas time was only wasted because the guy Kevin James pretended to be is a total fraud.

He’s great with a prime Drew Brees though. Just like you and I would be.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn’t his fault.

It’s never his fault.

Let’s fuck around with rules and commercial time to make sure everyone thinks it’s okay he passes off blame whenever he’s looked in the eye.