• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Pozz, I know I asked in the past month (or two?) about players that interest you, particularly in relation to fitting with the niners. You provided a nice list and said to follow up later. I'll see if I can find it, but have you had any more thoughts on that?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pozz, I know I asked in the past month (or two?) about players that interest you, particularly in relation to fitting with the niners. You provided a nice list and said to follow up later. I'll see if I can find it, but have you had any more thoughts on that?

Didn't I respond? I'm usually pretty good with that. I don't remember who you asked about. Remind me and I'll give you my opinion.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Here it is, your response. From the Senior Bowl thread.

Remind me to get more detailed later on if you still have an interest in my opinion but here are some players that have my eye a bit more than others right now for several different reasons:

Joe Adams
Mike Adams
Jake Bequette
Brandon Boykin
Mike Brewster
Audie Cole
Kirk Cousins
Cordy Glenn
Jaye Howard
George Iloka
Melvin Ingram
Asa Jackson
Cam Johnson
Markelle Martin
Mike Martin
Marvin McNutt
Isaiah Pead
Deangelo Peterson
Chris Polk
Mitchell Schwartz
Harrison Smith
Sean Spence
Alameda Ta'amu
Brandon Thompson
Courtney Upshaw
William Vlachos
Brandon Weeden
Derek Wolfe

I was just following up to see who/if any has intrigued you of late. Kind of a broad question, I just enjoy well reasoned opinions.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here it is, your response. From the Senior Bowl thread.

I was just following up to see who/if any has intrigued you of late. Kind of a broad question, I just enjoy well reasoned opinions.

Ok. It is a broad question and I'm not sure if you want a detailed response on each player. If there are any you want me to expand on then let me know.

My interest level on some has changed just slightly since then. There are a few players from that list that I have more questions on than I did back then. They are: Adams (strictly character concerns), Bequette, Brewster, Iloka, Peterson, Schwartz, Smith and Vlachos. On the flip side of that, Boykin, Glenn and Jackson have grown on me a little bit more since that time.

Cousins, Johnson, Markelle Martin, Mike Martin, Pead, Polk, Thompson, Upshaw, and Wolfe interest me specifically as a 49ers fan. I'm a bigger advocate for those players in comparison to where many others have them.

If you'd like me to expand a little more on anybody just ask and I'll do that.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. It is a broad question and I'm not sure if you want a detailed response on each player. If there are any you want me to expand on then let me know.

My interest level on some has changed just slightly since then. There are a few players from that list that I have more questions on than I did back then. They are: Adams (strictly character concerns), Bequette, Brewster, Iloka, Peterson, Schwartz, Smith and Vlachos. On the flip side of that, Boykin, Glenn and Jackson have grown on me a little bit more since that time.

Cousins, Johnson, Markelle Martin, Mike Martin, Pead, Polk, Thompson, Upshaw, and Wolfe interest me specifically as a 49ers fan. I'm a bigger advocate for those players in comparison to where many others have them.

Cordy Glenn hasn't been getting a lot of talk, but he's a guy i really like as well.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm much, much bigger on Boykin than I was earlier. Really like him.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shawn Zobel:

GB is hoping to add further draft picks to attempt to trade up in the draft. They are targeting pass rushers

From what I was told, Cleveland #Browns are not thrilled with the idea of giving up two first round picks to move up two spots to draft RG3

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i really hope washington moves up. griffon seems perfect for shanahan's system.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Random thought:

I wonder what's going to get more viewers this year on average. MLB playoffs or the NFL Draft.

...NFL Combine?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random thought:

I wonder what's going to get more viewers this year on average. MLB playoffs or the NFL Draft.

...NFL Combine?

Combine is broadcast through NFL Network no? if so, then they won't have monster ratings cause most homes do not have that service.

I say MLB Playoffs will still have more ratings, even MORE if the Yankees/Red Sox are still playing.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kalil's prospects
9:20AM ET
Matt Kalil | Interested: Rams?, Vikings?

For months, USC's Matt Kalil has been considered by a number of NFL Draft analysts as the No. 1 offensive tackle prospect in this year's draft class. So, his comments from Thursday should not come as a surprise.

"I would definitely say I am the best tackle in the draft," Kalil said, per Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk. But the bravado is not just boasting, as he explains: "Confidence is definitely a big part of your game. I think [NFL teams] want to hear that you do think you're the best tackle, and I think I am."

The folks over at Scouts, Inc. agree. In their NFL Draft OL cheat sheet, Kalil grades out as the best pass-blocking OT, the best run-blocker and the one with the most toughness.

As for where he'll land, it depends on how the St. Louis Rams' trade works out. Both the Rams (currently at No. 2) and the Minnesota Vikings (at No. 3) need help at OT; however, they could also use a WR like Justin Blackmon or a CB like Morris Claiborne. If Cleveland trades up -- moving the Rams down to No. 4 -- it's likely that Kalil would be off the board by No. 4. If Washington trades up from No. 6, and Minnesota goes with Blackmon, Kalil might be left teamless until the Rams come up with the Redskins' old pick, since Cleveland (who'd still be at 4) and Tampa Bay (at 5) are less likely to invest a first-round pick in an OT. If it's Miami swapping with St. Louis -- with the Rams moving to No. 8 -- it's possible he'd last until that spot, as the Redskins (still at 6) and Jacksonville will likely go in another direction.

- Tim Kavanagh

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: February 23, 2012

Breaking down the 2012 DL class
Plenty of tackles and ends in the early-round mix as the NFL combine begins
By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

When evaluating defensive linemen, it's important to examine all aspects of their game, including ability to rush the passer and defend the run and their instincts, motor, toughness and quickness.

Here's how we rank the top defensive ends and defensive tackles in various position-specific areas heading into the 2012 NFL combine (non-seniors noted with an asterisk). There is also a look at all linemen with a draftable grade, recent timing and measurement averages for linemen at the NFL combine, as well as Round 1 and 2 picks in 2011 and recent market trends along the defensive line.

Defensive end skill sets

Plenty of college quarterbacks know just how good Quinton Coples is.

Pass-rush skills
Explodes off the ball with a combination of snap anticipation and initial burst. Good balance and power when bending back inside. Uses double moves to keep offensive linemen off balance. Shows explosive upper-body strength and has active hands. Shows above-average closing speed when he gets a clear path to the quarterback. Can get under offensive tackles and drive them back into the quarterback's lap. Place greater value on prospects who can win with speed and power.

1. Quinton Coples, North Carolina
2. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
3. Andre Branch, Clemson
4. Whitney Mercilus, Illinois*
5. Chandler Jones, Syracuse

Versus the run
Size, lower-body strength and upper-body power are part of the equation. Needs to have recognition skills to diagnose run/pass and the toughness to show up every down. Must play with leverage and discipline and show proper hand usage, both to tie up blockers and to disengage. Range is important, but not as important as proper pursuit angles and sound tackling skills.

1. Jared Crick, Nebraska
2. Ingram
3. Coples
4. Tyrone Crawford, Boise State
5. Olivier Vernon, Miami (Fla.)*

Versatility
Fluid hips for size. Smooth changing directions and appears comfortable playing in space. Is flexible and has good body control. Shows good leaping ability for size. Has experience and has proven to be effective in multiple roles along the defensive front.

1. Ingram
2. Coples
3. Mercilus
4. Branch
5. Cam Johnson, Virginia

Instincts/motor
Prepares and knows opponent's tendencies. Reads keys, diagnoses information and reacts quickly. Shows discipline. Understands role and consistently executes assignments. Has a nose for the football and makes important plays. Relentless and consistently plays at a high level.

1. Vinny Curry, Marshall
2. Shea McClellin, Boise State
3. Jake Bequette, Arkansas
4. Crick
5. Crawford

Defensive tackle skill sets

Versus the run
Must take scheme into account, but looking for ability to take on blocks and protect linebackers. Plays with leverage, shows discipline and knows how to use hands to tie up blockers. Sniffs out the run quickly and is able to shed blockers after locating the ball. Ability to make plays in pursuit. Plays with a great motor and takes sound angles to the ball. Powerful and reliable tackler.

1. Michael Brockers, LSU*
2. Alameda Ta'amu. Washington
3. Brandon Thompson, Clemson
4. Josh Chapman, Alabama
5. Jerel Worthy, Michigan State*

Pass-rush skills
Explodes out of stance as soon as the center moves the ball and possesses a quick first step. Fluid and can use double moves to keep offensive linemen off balance. Shows great closing burst to the quarterback. Shows enough strength to collapse the pocket with bull rush. Place greater value on prospects who can win with speed and power.

1. Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State *
2. Worthy
3. Devon Still, Penn State
4. Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati
5. Mike Daniels, Iowa

Quickness (hands/feet)
Shows first-step quickness and can consistently beat offensive linemen off the ball. Shows above-average closing speed and can redirect as a pass-rusher. Has active and violent hands to prevent blockers from consistently locking on. Mobile enough to keep off of blocks when pursuing the run.

1. Cox
2. Dontari Poe, Memphis*
3. Worthy
4. Still
5. Kendall Reyes, Connecticut

Toughness/motor
Enough core strength to anchor versus the run or collapse the pocket as a bull-rusher. Shows explosive short-area power and can knock opposing offensive linemen on their heels with initial punch. Arms must be strong enough to sustain separation. Endurance and effort in pursuit factor in as well.

1. Mike Martin, Michigan
2. Chas Alecxih, Pittsburgh
2. Cox
4. Daniels
5. Chapman

Todd McShay is the director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998. Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl also contributed to this report.

Follow Todd McShay on Twitter: @McShay13

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hill and Marvin Jones might start entering my mix at #30 or a trade down from 30 to somewhere in the 2nd round if they do run these times.

Marvin Jones - WR - Player

California WR Marvin Jones has reportedly been running forty times in the low-4.4s during pre-Combine training.
Per SI.com draft guru Tony Pauline, the specific time Jones has most often posted is 4.42. Jones, a Senior Bowl standout and favorite of Rotoworld NFL scout Josh Norris, goes 6-foot-2, 198 and has drawn comparisons to Donald Driver. If Jones runs in the low-4.4s, he'll be a sleeper to be drafted in round two.
Source: TFY Draft Insider
Feb 24 - 3:13 AM

Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows
Georgia Tech wideout Stephen Hill measured 6-4, 215 today. Says he's run in the 4.4s in training. He and his fellow widouts run here Sun.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Whoa, are those NFL.com measurables official? Do they round/approximate? Criner is bigger than Jeffrey, something I never would have guessed.

Criner - 6'3, 224 lbs
Jeffrey - 6'3, 216 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.