• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A #1 or #2 WR or OLB/CB/G is > than drafting a #2 TE in the first IMO....

Are people really writing off Walker like that?

+1. Also, trading down and adding a pick could really help fill some important holes. I have confidence in this front office's ability to evaluate talent for the first time in awhile. I would rather see what they can do with more picks than more TEs.

If they don't think there is a WR/CB/OG on the board deserving of the #30 pick (ie. they could get that guy later), they should be doing everything they can to trade down. This team isn't in a best athlete available scenario anymore.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Okay...back to the draft. I think this guy deserves a Transformer name based on how big and built he is.

20111015181819_2011-1015-dg-ummsu204.jpg

Sheesh!

Ultra Magnus? Unicron?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't get a chance to see any of his games this season. But he's listed at 6'6 230. That isn't a big red flag for you? Would you expect him to gain some weight?

He measured 6'5 3/4 and 237 lbs at the Senior Bowl. I'm not saying that that's a big enough difference to change anybody's original opinion too much but it's more concrete numbers wise since it was an official weigh-in about a month ago. He said in mid-late January before the Senior Bowl that it was a focus of his to put on more weight. We'll see what he looks like at the combine.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: February 22, 2012
Breaking down NFL combine QBs
Playing quarterback is about much more than throwing passes

When evaluating quarterbacks, it is important to consider all aspects of their games -- mental makeup, accuracy, release/arm strength and pocket mobility.

Here's how we rank all draftable 2012 quarterback prospects in a variety of position-specific skill sets, (non-seniors noted with an asterisk), followed by a look at all draftable 2012 prospects, recent measurement and timing averages for quarterbacks invited to the combine, market trends at the position and Round 1 and 2 picks from 2011.

Andrew Luck has the look of a once-in-a-generation prospect.

Mental makeup
Makes decisions that put his team in the best position to succeed. Makes intelligent pre-snap reads, including blitz pickup, coverage recognition and possible audibles. Can identify coverages while dropping from under center. Consistently looks off the safety and/or avoids telegraphing his throws. Understands the importance of ball security. Displays outstanding mental toughness and is poised under pressure. Tireless worker on and off the field.

Top three in class
1. Andrew Luck, Stanford*
2. Kellen Moore, Boise State
3. Robert Griffin III, Baylor*

Accuracy
Sees passing windows develop quicker than most. Has excellent anticipation and can throw on-target to a spot before receivers break. Hits receivers in stride. Shows touch and changes velocities skillfully.

Top three in class
1. Luck
2. Nick Foles, Arizona
3. Brock Osweiler, Arizona State*

Release/arm strength
Has technically sound ball carriage (chest high with points of ball vertical). Throws with an efficient motion that allows him to get the ball out quickly. Is able to change launching points when necessary. Gets necessary RPMs on the ball. Shows the ability to fit the ball into tight spots downfield. Can throw deep sideline routes with ease and drive the ball vertically through wind.

Top three in class
1. Ryan Lindley, San Diego State
2. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
3. Foles

Pocket mobility
Displays poise in the pocket. Feels the rush coming before the pocket collapses. Has the foot quickness to buy extra time and knows how to avoid the rush properly -- sidestepping the inside rush and stepping up versus the outside rush.

Top three in class
1. Griffin
2. Luck
3. Russell Wilson, Wisconsin

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He measured 6'5 3/4 and 237 lbs at the Senior Bowl. I'm not saying that that's a big enough difference to change anybody's original opinion too much but it's more concrete numbers wise since it was an official weigh-in about a month ago. He said in mid-late January before the Senior Bowl that it was a focus of his to put on more weight. We'll see what he looks like at the combine.

What are your thoughts on him Pozz? Is 3rd/4th a good spot for him, in your opinion?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What are your thoughts on him Pozz? Is 3rd/4th a good spot for him, in your opinion?

I've seen less of him than probably any other draftable TE in this year's class so I have to rely on what others (just who I respect of course) have said about him more than any other TE in this class.
Anyways, right now I wouldn't start to consider him for the 49ers until the 4th, and I'm not sure he'd be near the top of the list there either.

I'm interested to see what comes out on him at the combine. His knees could be red-flagged by some teams and he has missed time with some other injuries as well (shoulder, ankle, and neck). Therefore, durability is a bit of a concern of mine, mostly his shoulder, and he is on record as saying it's been enough of a problem at times that he hasn't been able to be as physical after the catch as he would like to be.

He's raw as a route runner and he needs refinement on how to separate in the short to intermediate range. What helps him here for now, I think, is that he has been able to use his speed/athleticism in order to be a threat against alot of the defenses he's faced. If he can learn to set up defenders in other ways that would really bump him up to be a VERY interesting move-the-chains and redzone option in my opinion.

He's regarded as a decent/good blocker who gives very good effort but could stand to improve here as well. Most of what I've read about him here says he could improve with a better understanding of leverage, hand placement and getting stronger in his upper and lower body.

I have read that there is belief by many that he can, and has a little bit so far, add some weight/strength and not lose any of his speed and explosiveness. However, can he do that without too much strain on his knees or even put on and keep the weight/strength at all? Those are big question marks to me and something I'm uneasy about just because I don't know for myself.

The only comparison I've been able to think of myself for him is Michael Allan from Whitworth who was taken by the Chiefs in the 7th round in '07. Obviously I did not see alot of him, less than I saw Green actually, but they had a number of similarities coming into the NFL in my opinion. For many that probably doesn't help because I don't expect alot of football fans to remember much, or anything at all really, about Allan, but that is probably the best comparison that comes to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rick Stroud:

Multiple reports say LSU defensive backs coach Ron Cooper hired by the Bucs...yes, he coached CB Morris Claiborne

1 hour ago via web

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rick Stroud:

Multiple reports say LSU defensive backs coach Ron Cooper hired by the Bucs...yes, he coached CB Morris Claiborne

1 hour ago via web

Interesting...Claiborne should be an option for them at 5.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: February 22, 2012
Breaking down NFL combine RBs
Plenty of individual skills make up a running back's overall package

When evaluating running backs and fullbacks, it is important to consider all aspects of their games -- competitiveness, vision/patience, agility/acceleration, power/balance and their skills in the passing game.

Here's how we rank the top running backs on Scouts Inc.'s initial 2012 draft board in each of the above skill sets (non-seniors noted with an asterisk), as well as a look at all draftable running backs and fullbacks, market trends at each position and 2011 Day 1 running backs.

Trent Richardson's overall package of skills sets him apart from other backs.

Competitiveness
There is a lot more to running ability than size, strength and speed. It starts with insatiable will to gain as many yards on a given play as humanly possible and then continue to fight for one more. Ball security is included in this area.

Top three in class
1. Trent Richardson, Alabama*
2. Doug Martin, Boise State
3. David Wilson, Virginia Tech*

Vision/patience
Vision is crucial in all aspects of a running back's job. Great runners typically anticipate creases before they open up. They also anticipate the defensive flow and see cutback lanes opening up on the back side. Great route-runners show the vision to find soft spots in zone coverage. Great blockers see the blitzing linebacker coming quicker than most.

Top three in class
1. Richardson
2. Tauren Poole, Tennessee
3. Martin

Agility/acceleration
Good runners have the ability to stick their foot in the ground and accelerate quickly through the hole. In addition, they possess the lateral quickness to navigate through tight spaces. They also have the ability to stop and start with fluidity and avoid defenders in space. The great ones have an extra gear to outrun pursuit and hit the home run once they get in the the open field

Top three in class
1. Lamar Miller, Miami*
2. Chris Rainey, Florida
3. Lamichael James, Oregon*

Power/balance
The powerful runners possess a low center of gravity to absorb initial contact and stay on their feet. They keep their legs churning and have the ability to run through arm tackles. In addition, they possess the strength to push the pile in short-yardage or goal-line situations.

Top three in class
1. Richardson
2. Terrance Ganaway, Baylor
3. Darrell Scott, Central Florida*

Passing game
Plucks passes on the run, catches over his shoulder and adjusts to the poorly thrown pass. Gets open versus both zone and man coverage. Is a willing blocker. Displays effective technique and is tough/strong enough to sustain. Shows good awareness when picking up the blitz.

Top three in class
1. Chris Polk, Washington
2. Martin
3. Rainey

Bryce Brown is the only running back with a draftable grade who was not invited to the combine. Players without draftable grades who were invited: Nevada's Mike Ball* and Texas' Fozzy Whittaker

Todd McShay is the director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998. Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl also contributed to this report.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Updated: February 22, 2012, 3:18 PM ET

Breaking down NFL combine WRs
A variety of skill sets are included when evaluating wide receiver prospects

When evaluating wide receivers, it is important to consider all aspects of their games -- separation skills, ball skills, big-play ability and competitiveness/toughness.

Here's how we rank all draftable 2012 wide receiver prospects heading into invited to the 2012 NFL combine by skill set (non-seniors noted with an asterisk), as well as a look at recent measurement/timing averages, market trends at the position and Round 1 and 2 picks from 2011.

Justin Blackmon isn't the top receiver in every area, but he's the best overall.

Separation skills
The challenge when evaluating a receiver's separation skills is to sift through potentially deceptive variables, including his supporting cast, offensive system, and the types of defensive coverage and level of competition he faces. While there's no exact formula, the two most critical ingredients are suddenness and savvy as they pertain to route-running. Can a receiver get open, or is he forced to make contested catches due to his inability to separate?

Top five in class
1. T.Y. Hilton, FIU
2. Keshawn Martin, Michigan State
3. Joe Adams, Arkansas
4. Devon Wylie, Fresno State
5. Jarius Wright, Arkansas

Ball skills
Looks the ball in and snatches it away from pads when at all possible. Shows the ability to pluck on the run, catch over the shoulder and adjust to the poorly-thrown pass. Makes the tough catches in traffic.

Top five in class
1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State*
2. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina*
3. Rueben Randle, LSU*
4. Danny Coale, Virginia Tech
5. Juron Criner, Arizona

Big-play ability
Speed is the one skill that can set the elite apart from the good. Top-end speed allows receivers to eventually run away from most defensive backs, both as route-runners and after the catch. Stops and starts with fluidity, and consistently avoids tacklers in space.

Top five in class
1. Kendall Wright, Baylor*
2. Randle
3. Wylie
4. Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech*
T5. Travis Benjamin, Miami
T5. Patrick Edwards, Houston

Competitiveness/toughness
Gives a great effort in every aspect of the game. A relentless competitor who is unafraid of going over the middle and making the tough catch in traffic. Effective blocker for his position. Takes good angles to hit moving targets. Sustains blocks once in position.

Top five in class
1. Coale
2. Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma
3. Blackmon
4. Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers*
5. Junior Hemingway, Michigan

Rosario is the only prospect with a draftable grade to not receive an invite. Receivers who do not have draftable grades but received invitations: Ohio's Lavon Brazill, Missouri's Jerrell Jackson, Oregon State's James Rodgers, Connecticut's Kashiif Moore, Oklahoma State's Josh Cooper, Tennessee Tech's Tim Benford, Stanford's Chris Owusu.

Todd McShay is the director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998. Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl contributed to this report.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Updated: February 22, 2012, 12:46 PM ET

Breaking down NFL combine TEs
Blocking, catching and toughness all important for tight ends

When evaluating tight ends, it is important to consider all aspects of their games -- separation skills, ball skills, big-play ability, competitiveness and blocking.

Here's how we rank the top 2012 tight ends by skill set (non-seniors noted with an asterisk), as well as a look at all draftable prospects, recent timing and measurement averages for combine tight ends, market trends at the position and Round 1 and 2 picks from 2011.

Orson Charles is a bit undersized but has impressive athletic ability.

Separation Skills
The challenge when evaluating a tight end's separation skills is to sift through those potentially deceptive variables, which include his supporting cast, the offensive system he plays in, and the types of defensive coverage and level of competition he faces. While there's no exact formula, some of the key ingredients include recognition skills, initial burst, change-of-direction skills and competitiveness.

Top three in class
1. Coby Fleener, Stanford
2. Orson Charles, Georgia
3. Dwayne Allen, Clemson

Ball Skills
Looks the ball in and snatches away from pads when at all possible. Shows ability to pluck on the run, catch over the shoulder and adjust to the poorly-thrown pass. Makes the tough catches in traffic.

Top three in class
1. Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette
2. Michael Egnew, Missouri
3. Fleener

Big-play ability
Possesses the top-end speed and acceleration to attack the seams and stretch the defense vertically. Also must be capable of creating extra yards after the catch with a combination of the following skills: initial burst to hit the crease, elusiveness to avoid defenders, breakaway speed, and power to run through defenders.

Top three in class
1. Fleener
2. Charles
3. Chase Ford, Miami

Competitiveness
Gives great effort in all aspects of the game. A relentless competitor who is not afraid to go over the middle and make the tough catch in traffic. Takes pride as a blocker.

Top three in class
1. Charles
2. George Bryan, North Carolina
3. Fleener

Blocking
Strength, balance and leverage as an inline blocker. Show ability to get proper movement on defenders off the line of scrimmage. Lateral quickness and proper angles to hook or seal the edge. Adjust to moving targets in space. Anchor and awareness to contribute in pass protection.

Top three in TE class
1. Bryan
2. Cory Harkey, UCLA
3. Anthony Miller, California

Prospects who carry draftable grades but were not invited to the combine: Ford, Bryan, Linthicum, Koger, Miller, Efaw.

Todd McShay is the director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998. Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl also contributed to this report.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Updated: February 22, 2012, 3:22 PM ET
Breaking down NFL combine OLs
Top O-linemen have a combination of size, athleticism, toughness and awareness

When evaluating offensive linemen, it is important to consider all aspects of their games -- pass protection, run blocking, awareness and toughness.

Here's how we rank all draftable offensive linemen heading into the 2012 NFL combine by skill set (non-seniors noted with an asterisk). We also break down four-year measurement and timing trends, market trends at the position and 2011 Day 1 picks from the offensive line.

USC QB Matt Barkely was well-protected when operating behind OT Matt Kalil.

Pass protection
An offensive lineman needs good instincts to anticipate double-moves, twists, stunts and blitzes, and quick feet to get set in time. He has balance and body control in order to mirror and slide. He has lateral movement to shuffle back inside, long arms to keep separation and force pass-rushers wide, and a powerful punch to jar defenders and ruin their momentum.

Top three tackles
1. Matt Kalil, USC*
2. Riley Reiff, Iowa*
3. Mike Adams, Ohio State

Top three guards
1. David DeCastro, Stanford*
2. Cordy Glenn, Georgia
3. Markus Zusevics, Iowa

Top three centers
1. Ben Jones, Georgia
2. Mike Brewster, Ohio State
3. Quentin Saulsberry, Mississippi State

Run blocking
Size and strength are important in order to match up in the "phone booth." An offensive lineman needs to be nasty and aggressive and must possess adequate mobility to consistently get in position. He must take good first steps and angles on reach blocks. A wide frame allows tackles to engulf smaller defensive ends in the running game and a strong lower body allows them to finish off their blocks.

Top three tackles
1. Kalil
2. Jonathan Martin, Stanford*
3. Zebrie Sanders, Florida State

Top three guards
1. Glenn
2. DeCastro
3. Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin

Top three centers
1. Peter Konz, Wisconsin
2. Jones
3. David Molk, Michigan

Awareness
An offensive lineman must be tactical. He needs to study film, learn tendencies and transfer knowledge to the field. He has to understand blocking angles and how to use technique in order to overcome physical deficiencies. He must be able to pick up new assignments quickly. Versatility -- the ability to fill in at multiple positions along the line -- can add to an offensive lineman's value.

Top three tackles
1. Martin
2. Sanders
3. Kalil

Top three guards
1. DeCastro
2. Joe Looney, Wake Forest
3. Zeitler

Top three centers
1. Konz
2. Molk
3. Philip Blake, Baylor

Toughness
Size and wingspan are important in order to engulf defenders at the point of attack. Also important is explosive upper-body strength to jar defenders with an initial punch and sustain blocks once locked on. An offensive lineman needs a wide base to anchor versus the bull rush in pass protection and strong legs to drive defenders off the line of scrimmage as a run-blocker.

Top three tackles
1. Kalil
2. Brandon Mosley, Auburn
3. Mitchell Schwartz, California

Top three guards
1. Glenn
2. Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State
3. Brandon Brooks, Miami (Ohio)

Top three centers
1. Jones
2. Brewster
3. Moe Petrus, Connecticut

Players who have draftable grades from Scouts Inc. buy were not invited to the combine: Adcock, Fisher, Harris, Brooks, Vlachos and Petrus.

Players who do not have draftable grades but received combine invites: Auburn OT A.J. Greene, Portland State OT Dustin Waldron and Southern Miss OT Lamar Holmes; Notre Dame G Taylor Dever, SMU G Josh Leribeus, Syracuse G Andrew Tiller, Memphis G Ronald Leary, Georgia G Justin Anderson, North Dakota State G Paul Cornick; Mississippi State C Quentin Saulsberry.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scott Kegley:

Baalke said he & his staff have identified around 150 "draftable" players from over 800 that they've scouted.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scott Kegley:

Baalke said he & his staff have identified around 150 "draftable" players from over 800 that they've scouted.

Wow!! That's really not a lot of people.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Cowboys only had 90 some players with draftable grades a few years ago ('09?).

From the top of your head do you know if this is an average number for us? 140 - 170 range?

Even if we had 200 "draftable" prospects, by the time we get to the 5th round, mathematically there shouldn't be any "draftable players" on our board available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again they didn't deem Doug Baldwin draftable. That really bit them in the ass too.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From the top of your head do you know if this is an average number for us? 140 - 170 range?

Even if we had 200 "draftable" prospects, by the time we get to the 5th round, mathematically there shouldn't be any "draftable players" on our board available.

Under McCloughan and Baalke I wouldn't be able to give you a number range that I'd feel comfortable throwing out there if I wanted to be accurate. Based off what I remember from everybody over the years, not just with the 49ers, that number from Baalke isn't alarming, surprising, or breaking news.

Again, based off memory I've seen a team throw out as low as 80s one year and another time it was somewhere in the 250 range. Might some teams have had a year or several years where it was much higher than that? It's possible and I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Usually when a team or a personnel person throws a number out there it surprises alot of fans just because fans are used to seeing databases with anywhere from 200-2,000 players in it and many are of the belief that the majority of those are draftable just because they exist in a database. A high percentage of players each year just aren't draftable to this team or that team because of the system they run. So for that reason, and many others of course, it's always a lower number than many fans think.

One of the coolest things I see alot is how surprised many fans are when a team will throw out how many players have a first round grade for them. It's almost always lower than many think. Then the guessing game is another thing that's always fun for fans when a team throws a number out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.