• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa, are those NFL.com measurables official? Do they round/approximate? Criner is bigger than Jeffrey, something I never would have guessed.

Criner - 6'3, 224 lbs
Jeffrey - 6'3, 216 lbs

That is because Jeffery lost a lot of weight. It will be interesting to see what time Criner runs at that weight. Whoa momma.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That is because Jeffery lost a lot of weight. It will be interesting to see what time Criner runs at that weight. Whoa momma.

Even height though. I figured Criner was 6'2 at most, poor judgment on my part I guess. I laughed at him being listed at 6'4 in college. Oops. Jeffrey seemed to tower over people on the field, but I guess I was deceived by his bulk/size in general.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even height though. I figured Criner was 6'2 at most, poor judgment on my part I guess. I laughed at him being listed at 6'4 in college. Oops. Jeffrey seemed to tower over people on the field, but I guess I was deceived by his bulk/size in general.

That and his arm length. When he goes up and reaches it is pretty up there lol.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The kid carries it well. I am certain that he's going to put up one of the best times on the 3-cone drill of all the big 6'3+ receivers. I still don't know what to expect he'll run in the 40?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: February 23, 2012

Breaking down 2012 DB prospects
Speed not the only important trait for elite defensive back prospectsEmailPrintComments
By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

When evaluating defensive backs, it is important to consider all aspects of their games, including instincts, coverage skills, ball skills and run support.

With the 2012 NFL scouting combine kicking off this week in Indianapolis, here's how we rank the top defensive backs by skill set (non-seniors noted with an asterisk) as well as our rankings of all prospects with a draftable grade, recent measurements and timing averages. We also evaluate Round 1 and 2 picks from 2011 and number of defensive backs taken in each round of the past three drafts.

Mark Barron is clearly the top safety on the board with his versatility and range.

Instincts/recognition
Prepares well and takes advantage of opponent's tendencies. Reads keys, diagnoses information and reacts quickly. Shows above-average route-recognition skills and tracks the ball well. Has "selective amnesia" and does not allow negative play(s) to snowball into a negative series/quarter/game. Stays disciplined. Understands role and consistently executes assignment. Is rarely caught peeking into the backfield and stays home against play-action.

Top cornerbacks
1. Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt
2. Chase Minnifield, Virginia
3. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

Top safeties
1. Mark Barron, Alabama
2. Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
3. Phillip Thomas, Syracuse

Cover skills
Fluid hips, can change directions quickly and mirror receivers one-on-one. Seamlessly reacts to double moves and recovers from false steps. Smooth flipping hips when asked to turn and run with receivers on vertical routes. Quickness and speed are at a premium in the defensive backfield. Upper-echelon defensive backs typically run the short shuttle in 4.20 seconds or faster, the three-cone drill in 7.1 seconds or faster and the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds or faster.

Top cornerbacks
1. Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
2. Morris Claiborne, LSU
3. Dwight Bentley, Louisiana Lafayette

Top safeties
1. Janzen Jackson, McNeese State
2. Thomas
3. George Iloka, Boise State

Ball skills
Attacks the ball and doesn't wait for it to arrive. Stays focused and looks the ball in. Extends arms and snatches the ball out of the air with hands. Long arms, height, leaping ability and/or body control to compete in jump-ball situations.

Top cornerbacks
1. Claiborne
2. Trumaine Johnson, Montana
3. Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina

Top safeties
1. Barron
2. Jackson
3. Thomas

Run support
Doesn't shy away from contact and fills hard when reading run. Shows sound gap discipline and pursuit angles. Can slip or shed blocks quickly in space. Reliable open-field tackler who breaks down, shows good body control and wraps up in space. Willing to take on bigger backs and flashes the ability to deliver the big hit.

Top cornerbacks
1. De'Quan Menzie, Alabama
2. Kirkpatrick
3. Robert Blanton, Notre Dame

Top safeties
1. Smith
2. Barron
3. Winston Guy, Kentucky

Todd McShay is the director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. He has been evaluating prospects for the NFL draft since 1998. Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl also contributed to this report.

Follow Todd McShay on Twitter: @McShay13

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Miller:

Hearing #Chiefs would love to trade out from pick 11, source believes OT is highest need.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John McClain
You heard it here first: Top 3 picks could be QBs Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Ryan Tannehill. Rams and Vikings would trade down.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John McClain
You heard it here first: Top 3 picks could be QBs Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Ryan Tannehill. Rams and Vikings would trade down.

Someone is really taking Tannehill high if that is the case. I know you have him ranked quite a bit higher than i do clyde, but that's a big reach regardless. Hopefully it's the Seahawks who jump up to get him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill would instantly be my bust pick.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm actually kind of glad that Dwayne Allen didn't have a great combine because now maybe he'll drop. I love his overall game; the Niners offense needs a #2 TE who's a good receiver but a VERY good blocker IMO.

My biggest concerns about guys like Egnew, Fleener & Charles are about run-blocking. Most of the top TEs in this draft class look like they have pretty good potantial as pass blockers (the only exception may be Charles; shorter arms and seems less willing to do dirty work) but Allen looks like the best run blocker.

I'm most impressed by Egnew's 10 yard split. It's not quite as fast as Jimmy Graham's (still wish the Niners got him instead of Bowman, but either one is great), but it's a 100th faster than Gronk's (granted Gronk is taller & 13 pounds heavier).

Egnew's arms are 36 friggn inches long! That is going to help him a lot in pass protection and in the red zone IMO. He also had the best vertical (36), which is going to help him in the red zone. And I'm not concerned that Gabby was his college QB because The Gift of Gabbert sucks.

As far as bang for yer buck goes none of 'em jump out at me as enormous values based on where most people expect them to go. I think the best value in the 2nd round right now looks like CB, but it's a long way 'til April.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm actually kind of glad that Dwayne Allen didn't have a great combine because now maybe he'll drop. I love his overall game; the Niners offense needs a #2 TE who's a good receiver but a VERY good blocker IMO.

D. Walker >> D. Allen.
We're set at the #2 TE position.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Oops, I made a huge stanank. Egnew's arms aren't 36 inches long. They're 33 inches long. I was looking at his vertical.

That makes more sense. 36 inches would be friggn' huge arms.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops, I made a huge stanank. Egnew's arms aren't 36 inches long. They're 33 inches long. I was looking at his vertical.

That makes more sense. 36 inches would be friggn' huge arms.

Umm yeah, that's bigger than most peoples waste size.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
D. Walker >> D. Allen.
We're set at the #2 TE position.

Totally disagree with this. Walker isn't a very good receiver, and he's not a very good blocker. He does nothing all that well. He runs fast in a straight line; he's the TE equivalent of Tedd Ginn Jr.

The Niners need a #2 TE who is great at blocking but can also be a red zone / first down threat. Ideally a guy with good height, vertical jump, weight & long arms. The Niners missed out on getting Jimmy Graham a couple of years ago. :( I dont know that the guy I'm describing is in this draft, but Allen seems like the closest thing to it. He's the best blocking TE of the bunch IMO, and he's also a good receiver. I'd like if he were a little taller, but he's not exactly short either. And 32 inches is a pretty good vertical. He also had a good 3cone.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally disagree with this. Walker isn't a very good receiver, and he's not a very good blocker. He does nothing all that well. He runs fast in a straight line; he's the TE equivalent of Tedd Ginn Jr.

The Niners need a #2 TE who is great at blocking but can also be a red zone / first down threat. Ideally a guy with good height, vertical jump, weight & long arms. The Niners missed out on getting Jimmy Graham a couple of years ago. :( I dont know that the guy I'm describing is in this draft, but Allen seems like the closest thing to it. He's the best blocking TE of the bunch IMO, and he's also a good receiver. I'd like if he were a little taller, but he's not exactly short either. And 32 inches is a pretty good vertical. He also had a good 3cone.

I don't know that we're that much in need of a #2 TE. We have Byham coming back and Walker can get the job done, all though i do think he is over valued by some.

I like the TE class this year better than i have in a long time, so i think the chances are likely that if Fleener, Allen, or Charles is around when we pick, then they could easily be the BPA. If not then Ladarius Green could be a very solid pick if he is still around at the bottom half of the second round.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My biggest concerns about guys like Egnew, Fleener & Charles are about run-blocking. Most of the top TEs in this draft class look like they have pretty good potantial as pass blockers (the only exception may be Charles; shorter arms and seems less willing to do dirty work) but Allen looks like the best run blocker.

I'm most impressed by Egnew's 10 yard split. It's not quite as fast as Jimmy Graham's (still wish the Niners got him instead of Bowman, but either one is great), but it's a 100th faster than Gronk's (granted Gronk is taller & 13 pounds heavier).

Egnew's arms are 36 friggn inches long! That is going to help him a lot in pass protection and in the red zone IMO. He also had the best vertical (36), which is going to help him in the red zone. And I'm not concerned that Gabby was his college QB because The Gift of Gabbert sucks.

As far as bang for yer buck goes none of 'em jump out at me as enormous values based on where most people expect them to go. I think the best value in the 2nd round right now looks like CB, but it's a long way 'til April.

egnew is someone i like, but he's runs like a slug

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that we're that much in need of a #2 TE. We have Byham coming back and Walker can get the job done, all though i do think he is over valued by some.

I like the TE class this year better than i have in a long time, so i think the chances are likely that if Fleener, Allen, or Charles is around when we pick, then they could easily be the BPA. If not then Ladarius Green could be a very solid pick if he is still around at the bottom half of the second round.

byham isn't much in the passing game so we can use an upgrade. i'd also like someone that can be more consistent than walker who can actually block

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We have Patrick Willis / Navorro Bowman as our ILBs. If Luke Kuechly were to be available when we pick at # 30 (clearly the BPA) at that time, should we draft him?

My point is, even if the law office of Allen, Fleener, & Charles is still on the board when we pick, should we draft them if someone like...Stephen Hill or Malcom Floyd are also available?

Status
Not open for further replies.