• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft / College football

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So you'd rather have a #2 TE than a #2 WR?

If the TE is rated a considerable amount better then the WR, I would have no problem going with the TE considering the type of offense we run.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFLDS has him at 237. But no, that's not my biggest concern. He has a good frame.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the TE is rated a considerable amount better then the WR, I would have no problem going with the TE considering the type of offense we run.

Does it matter how good he is if he's the #2 TE? Does it matter how good Trent Richardson is if he has to share the backfield with Ray Rice? Doesn't that drop his value?

And don't think about bringing up Hernandez's/Welker's snap numbers. The Pats run a completely different offense than we do.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it matter how good he is if he's the #2 TE? Does it matter how good Trent Richardson is if he has to share the backfield with Ray Rice? Doesn't that drop his value?

And don't think about bringing up Hernandez's/Welker's snap numbers. The Pats run a completely different offense than we do.

Clyde, look at the te thing a little outside the normal box. I will admit that I was a little sketchy on the whole te in the 1st round thing until I thought about it deeper.

With a te like Allen or Fleener we would have the best te duo in football. With our run heavy scheme the offenses would be disguised at all times. The down field blocking would be phenomenal at all times, the run game would always have the best blocking, all while not missing a beat in the passing game.

Walker is ok, I don't think he gives Harbaugh what he would love out of his te 1a.

I'm not advocating for a te in rd 1, I'm just saying I wouldn't be mad at one of those guys.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Definitely.

Having two running backs is different then having two TEs. Having two TE's be in your offense, and a big part of it, isnt very hard at all compared to trying to have two running backs on the field all or most of the time. Especially with how TE's are now days where they are becoming more and more like receivers. The line with some of these players is getting blurred. Finley for example is arguing that he should be tagged with the receiver franchise number because he lined up as a receiver so many times this season. If the talent is there, the offensive system should not be very hard to set up having two TE's. Many of these athletic TE's can line up in many receiver positions as well.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde, look at the te thing a little outside the normal box. I will admit that I was a little sketchy on the whole te in the 1st round thing until I thought about it deeper.

With a te like Allen or Fleener we would have the best te duo in football. With our run heavy scheme the offenses would be disguised at all times. The down field blocking would be phenomenal at all times, the run game would always have the best blocking, all while not missing a beat in the passing game.

Walker is ok, I don't think he gives Harbaugh what he would love out of his te 1a.

I'm not advocating for a te in rd 1, I'm just saying I wouldn't be mad at one of those guys.

I don't have a problem taking a stud TE in the first round. I have a problem taking a #2 TE in the first round. We already have a stud TE, and we already have one of the better #2 TEs in the league.

And all of this talk about Harbaugh wanting two pass-catching weapons at TE is a myth.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely.

Having two running backs is different then having two TEs. Having two TE's be in your offense, and a big part of it, isnt very hard at all compared to trying to have two running backs on the field all or most of the time. Especially with how TE's are now days where they are becoming more and more like receivers. The line with some of these players is getting blurred. Finley for example is arguing that he should be tagged with the receiver franchise number because he lined up as a receiver so many times this season. If the talent is there, the offensive system should not be very hard to set up having two TE's. Many of these athletic TE's can line up in many receiver positions as well.

I don't think TEs are becoming more and more like WRs. There's only one TE that's "WR like" and that's Aaron Hernandez. Guys like Gronk, Finley, and Graham aren't anything like traditional WRs.

Sure, TE numbers are going up. But passing numbers in general are going up. QBs are throwing more and passing for more yards, and both WRs and TEs are benefiting from that.

The best #2 TE in the league (Hernandez) had 79 catches, 910 yards, and 7 TDs, and that was in an extermely pass-happy offense with one of the greatest QBs of all time throwing to him. What numbers would you expect out of OUR #2 TE?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the best TEs in the league - Gronkowski, Hernandez, Graham, Finley, Witten - play with the top 5 or 7 QBs in the league.

Is that a coincidence?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay...back to the draft. I think this guy deserves a Transformer name based on how big and built he is.

20111015181819_2011-1015-dg-ummsu204.jpg

Sheesh!

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compared to WR, CB, QB, or pass-rushers, I'd say it is relatively easier to find a TE later in the draft. Especially if we're talking about a #2 TE.

Sure I do. Ladarius Green is a guy that really intrigues me in the mid-rounds.
I agree. He seems like he would fit into our Offensive scheme very well. He may not make it to the bottom half of the 3rd round, though.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't made my big board yet, but a guy I'm really rooting for is Courtney Upshaw, but it's really unlikely he falls that far.

I like him as well, but if we do end up re-signing Brooks wouldn't that decrease his value?

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

Looks like this was just updated.

San Francisco 49ers: Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
Umm... did I forget about Vernon Davis? No. Jim Harbaugh loves utilizing multiple tight ends in his offense. If you don't think this can work, let me refer you to the Patriots. I'd say Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez complement each other rather well.

Harbaugh needs to acquire an offensive playmaker for Alex Smith, and Coby Fleener happens to be the best one available, as taking any receiver at this point would be considered a major reach.

btw I can not believe that Jayron Hosley has fallen down this far. I know most people aren't as high on him as i am, but i think that could be an absolute steal. Jared Crick and Travis Lewis have both fallen to round 3 as well. Those could also be decent picks if this holds up to be true.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Compared to WR, CB, QB, or pass-rushers, I'd say it is relatively easier to find a TE later in the draft. Especially if we're talking about a #2 TE.

Sure I do. Ladarius Green is a guy that really intrigues me in the mid-rounds.

+1

I like him a lot in the 3rd or 4th round as well. It took Graham and the Saints a little while (only a year) to get that level in terms of development. The same could be true with Green. A year in the weight room and getting accustomed to the speed of the game will pay dividends for us (or any team for that matter) in 2013.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think TEs are becoming more and more like WRs. There's only one TE that's "WR like" and that's Aaron Hernandez. Guys like Gronk, Finley, and Graham aren't anything like traditional WRs.

Sure, TE numbers are going up. But passing numbers in general are going up. QBs are throwing more and passing for more yards, and both WRs and TEs are benefiting from that.

The best #2 TE in the league (Hernandez) had 79 catches, 910 yards, and 7 TDs, and that was in an extermely pass-happy offense with one of the greatest QBs of all time throwing to him. What numbers would you expect out of OUR #2 TE?

Well said!

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

Looks like this was just updated.

btw I can not believe that Jayron Hosley has fallen down this far. I know most people aren't as high on him as i am, but i think that could be an absolute steal. Jared Crick and Travis Lewis have both fallen to round 3 as well. Those could also be decent picks if this holds up to be true.

Makes sense to me! This move would prove better than any of these wr's left in the 1st. We could even disguise our 3 te packages into downfield passing. Fleener also gives us that huge red zone threat (former basketball player) that we all want.

Davis, Fleener and Crabtree on the field at the same time will be a nightmare for dc's around the league. With Harbaugh's creativity I'd be surprised if Smith doesn't make the pro bowl (with Fleener added).

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A #1 or #2 WR or OLB/CB/G is > than drafting a #2 TE in the first IMO....

Are people really writing off Walker like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.